Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I went to the March for Life last year, with Indiana's Knights of Columbus. Unfortunately, I was sick the day of the march, but it was still an awesome trip. I heard a lot of the other Knights talking about the march, and watched it on EWTN from my hotel room. One saying that was going around a lot was "Love them both", referring to the baby & mother, advocating against abortion for sake of saving the baby from death and saving the mother from the emotional pain.

I recently posted a thread about Christian Rap, and someone added in a song that really hit the "Love them both" side of abortion, but from the father's perspective.

And I put this thread in a section of CF that's not Christian-exclusive for a reason: I don't want theological discussions about abortion, no Bible verses, nothing like that for this thread. I'm just looking at morality from anyone's perspective.

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Pray in silence...God speaks softly
Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
The Mystical Lands of Rural Indiana
Visit site
✟526,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm just looking at morality from anyone's perspective.

It's morally wrong to attempt to interfere. I know a 13 year old who brought her baby to school. Mom carried it for her. So how do we decide the fate of a 13 year old mother who's mother must raise the child? It's wrong for us to decide. Mom's boyfriend went to prison over the babies conception.

Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

PreviouslySeeking...

May 9, 2017
Seattle
✟85,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
Hmm, I've known women who've had abortions for a variety of reasons. I don't know anyone who's suffered lasting trauma over it.

Not being argumentative, but this seems like a minor problem.

Seriously, if you want to make abortion go away - tackle the reasons why women make that choice.

Upvote 0

Silmarien

Existentialist
Feb 24, 2017
New York
✟215,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Women who get an abortion tend to regret it not long after the procedure, sometimes requiring counseling or even committing suicide. Groups like Silent No More have formed to share testimonies of how badly abortion hurts the mothers.
Silent No More Awareness Campaign: Testimony Directory
Abortion and Suicide – AbortionFacts.com

Are there any recent non-partisan statistics about this? The idea that women regret abortions doesn't match up to my experience at all, so I have some difficulty believing that women suffer emotional pain in the absence of underlying moral issues with abortion. The connection to suicide would be troubling, but those studies are 30 years old and the public perception of abortion has changed drastically since then.

• Agree
Reactions: Sparagmos
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
  • Agree
Reactions: RestoreTheJoy
Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟487,354.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
  • Agree
Reactions: Sparagmos
Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Women who get an abortion tend to regret it not long after the procedure, sometimes requiring counseling or even committing suicide. Groups like Silent No More have formed to share testimonies of how badly abortion hurts the mothers.
Silent No More Awareness Campaign: Testimony Directory
Abortion and Suicide – AbortionFacts.com
I had an abortion and never regretted it. I know MANY other women who have too, none have ever said they regretted it. IMO, it’s the women who are in a culture that denounces abortion who regret it. I can guarantee that the emotional pain of having my family disown me for getting pregnant at 18 would have taken years to recover from.

• Agree
Reactions: Paulos23
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PreviouslySeeking...

May 9, 2017
Seattle
✟85,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
Here's the thing. The women I know who had abortions, needed them. From women who had their doctors recommend them to mothers (yes women with children) who had them so they could care for the children they already had. They didn't have the time for regret.

This isn't about being a keyboard warrior or a liberal activist. Women have had abortions since the first cunning woman figured out what herbs were natural abortifacients. That is simple fact.

Is it difficult for some? Certainly! The majority? I seriously doubt it, the reasons they choose it are too pressing to allow for it.

If you live in a way contrary to what you believe is good; that will cause you problems.

That said, sin is subjective. Not everyone is interested in being close to the Christian God.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I had an abortion and never regretted it. I know MANY other women who have too, none have ever said they regretted it. IMO, it’s the women who are in a culture that denounces abortion who regret it. I can guarantee that the emotional pain of having my family disown me for getting pregnant at 18 would have taken years to recover from.

I (subtly) suggested that my sister get an abortion when she became pregnant by the 'wrong' guy. She didn't and the way she managed her life from that point on was a disaster for her and several others. It also led to her physical breakdown that eventually ended her life, after 20 years of severe pain and mental anguish.

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I (subtly) suggested that my sister get an abortion when she became pregnant by the 'wrong' guy. She didn't and the way she managed her life from that point on was a disaster for her and several others. It also led to her physical breakdown that eventually ended her life, after 20 years of severe pain and mental anguish.
I’m so sorry to hear that. Having a child at the wrong time in your life can certainly make a lot of things worse.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Silmarien

Existentialist
Feb 24, 2017
New York
✟215,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I had an abortion and never regretted it. I know MANY other women who have too, none have ever said they regretted it. IMO, it’s the women who are in a culture that denounces abortion who regret it.

I think this is actually too simplistic. You do not need to come from a culture that denounces abortion to eventually develop the conviction that abortion is morally inacceptable, that it kills a human being, etc. Occasionally women do switch sides immediately after having an abortion, or after carrying a later pregnancy to term. Or for whatever other reason. (I have never had an abortion to later regret, but my position on the issue has changed, so if I had had one, I would have eventually come to regret it.)

Of course, this doesn't subtract from the fact that women do not automatically regret abortions, and certainly don't need to be infantilized and "protected" from making decisions they might later regret.

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think this is actually too simplistic. You do not need to come from a culture that denounces abortion to eventually develop the conviction that abortion is morally inacceptable, that it kills a human being, etc. Occasionally women do switch sides immediately after having an abortion, or after carrying a later pregnancy to term. Or for whatever other reason. (I have never had an abortion to later regret, but my position on the issue has changed, so if I had had one, I would have eventually come to regret it.)

Of course, this doesn't subtract from the fact that women do not automatically regret abortions, and certainly don't need to be infantilized and "protected" from making decisions they might later regret.
I agree, didn’t mean at all that it had to be the culture you came from. Just the culture you are in, including your own convictions.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And the irony of the pro birthers not caring about the physical pain, or even life, of the mother, continues.

So hard to have any kind of decent conversation in the face of this hypocrisy.

U.S. Has The Worst Rate Of Maternal Deaths In The Developed World

Let me wander off for a second and compare the number of threads on CF complaining about this vs abortion.

---Staff Edit---
Yes child birth can be painful. Your solution to resolve mortality rates is to increase abortions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here's the thing. The women I know who had abortions, needed them. From women who had their doctors recommend them to mothers (yes women with children) who had them so they could care for the children they already had. They didn't have the time for regret.

This isn't about being a keyboard warrior or a liberal activist. Women have had abortions since the first cunning woman figured out what herbs were natural abortifacients. That is simple fact.

Is it difficult for some? Certainly! The majority? I seriously doubt it, the reasons they choose it are too pressing to allow for it.

If you live in a way contrary to what you believe is good; that will cause you problems.

That said, sin is subjective. Not everyone is interested in being close to the Christian God.
Yes it’s a no brainer that women who have elective premeditated abortions obviously don’t care much for what they are carrying. Which is another human being. They already decided their priorities otherwise.

Upvote 0