Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Do they have a choice? The law courts where they live are generally stacked against them.
I suppose you're right? I guess my question is, do muslim women really see is as their duty to submit to physical correction from their husbands? I'm interested in hearing stories from those that do.

Upvote 0

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Wow...

I came here to jump on the bandwagon for how absurd this video would be...

but then I watched the video...

Strangely enough, it's actually not a bad video and the advice in it is not that bad.

In Christianity, it is taught time and time again that the man is the head of the household.

In this video, he strictly forbids hitting the wife on the face or punching her at all. The physical discipline must be light and non bruising and done in a way that conveys your strength as a man without actually harming her...

I know this will sound sexist, but the reality is this isn't that far off. Contrary to new age group think and this era of kindler gentler men that think it's okay to cry and share feelings.... Women want men who are men, men that are masculine...

I'll stop there, I'm starting to come off like I 100% endorse this video when I don't. I don't know how I feel about it and will have to process. But what I will say is the video is nowhere near as crazy as I thought it would be. If we are honest with ourselves, truth is most of us (men and women) do get physical when we have confrontations and arguments about serious stuff with our significant others. This video merely gives guidance to the rights and wrongs of the physical aspect of an argument...

In any event, I'll have to process this... but have to admit, not what I thought it would be, not as crazy as it sounds...If anything, this advice would probably be beneficial to all men worldwide...

Upvote 0

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I suppose you're right? I guess my question is, do muslim women really see is as their duty to submit to physical correction from their husbands? I'm interested in hearing stories from those that do.

I was thinking of the opposite in how things are done in the US. Culturally, especially White Culture, it is acceptable for women to hit men but women are not supposed to hit women... You see it often where a woman gets offended and she slaps the man-- that is okay in Western Culture...

So in a way, the opposite is true in the West, women have license to use physical correction on men in certain social situations...

The more I think about this topic, the more I think we have blind spots in our logic and morality in this country when talking about our social mores especially between the rights and wrongs of male/female interaction...

I'm not saying one is right and one is wrong, just remarking in general to promote and open up discussion

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,040.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Wow...

Strangely enough, it's actually not a bad video and the advice in it is not that bad.

In Christianity, it is taught time and time again that the man is the head of the household.

In this video, he strictly forbids hitting the wife on the face or punching her at all. The physical discipline must be light and non bruising and done in a way that conveys your strength as a man without actually harming her...

I know this will sound sexist, but the reality is this isn't that far off. Contrary to new age group think and this era of kindler gentler men that think it's okay to cry and share feelings.... Women want men who are men, men that are masculine...

I'll stop there, I'm starting to come off like I 100% endorse this video when I don't. I don't know how I feel about it and will have to process. But what I will say is the video is nowhere near as crazy as I thought it would be. If we are honest with ourselves, truth is most of us (men and women) do get physical when we have confrontations and arguments about serious stuff with our significant others. This video merely gives guidance to the rights and wrongs of the physical aspect of an argument...

In any event, I'll have to process this... but have to admit, not what I thought it would be, not as crazy as it sounds...If anything, this advice would probably be beneficial to all men worldwide...
I've usually seen you as one of the more reasonable, rational Christians on the Forum.

I'm afraid you just blew it.
OB

• Agree
Reactions: 1000Flames
Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,708.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Wow...

I think the most important part of the whole video starts at 2:52. The guy specifically says that beating your wife (in the light, painless way shown in the video) should only be done if the woman actually prefers their man to be like that, instead of him reasoning with her.

Now.. I don't believe that the man should be the "head" of the household or stuff like that. But if you really believe that, and the "beatings" are more like painless nudges and only to be done when the wife wants it like that, where's the problem?

I'd like to see a bit more from the guy in the video, but sadly Memri only translates stuff that makes muslims look bad and incites anger.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Most Muslim women are silently, argrily confused, displeased, and unhappy about these standards. Yet can not say much about them, as they are Quranic, entrenched, and commanded by Allah.

There is a lot of general unhappiness, doubt, silent conflict, and interior struggle among women in the Ummah over these issues. But expressing those doubts in a way which still sounds agreeable and faithful is very hard. One does not want to sound like an apostate. So often, one is silently angry / conflicted / displeased, but tries to live out the better parts of the religion as best one can, and hope that if one winds up in Jannah, everything will be clear.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,708.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Most Muslim women are silently, argrily confused, displeased, and unhappy about these standards. Yet can not say much about them, as they are Quranic, entrenched, and commanded by Allah.

There is a lot of general unhappiness, doubt, silent conflict, and interior struggle among women in the Ummah over these issues. But expressing those doubts in a way which still sounds agreeable and faithful is very hard. One does not want to sound like an apostate. So often, one is silently angry / conflicted / displeased, but tries to live out the better parts of the religion as best one can, and hope that if one winds up in Jannah, everything will be clear.
I bet that's true for most people who are trapped in a riggid society, religious or otherwise.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,708.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
It's more difficult in Islam. For many, many reasons.
True that. Propably as difficult as it was for people in western civilisations a century ago.

Upvote 0

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I've usually seen you as one of the more reasonable, rational Christians on the Forum.

I'm afraid you just blew it.
OB
please do a point by point refutation of what I said rather than the generalized, "you're an idiot".

I like to be candid and honest and I always appreciate when my errors are pointed out to me.

I pride myself on honesty, honest non-biased observation, logical consistency and reciprocity of logic.

When I saw the title of this video, I came here fully prepared to do some Muslim bashing... But then when I watched the video and then "honestly" thought about all the Western Relationships I've been a part of and/or witnessed... I had to take a step back and rethink it.

For instance, I know of plenty of relationships in which the woman gets angry and throws stuff at the man: pillows, books, dishes, shoes, etc. I know of plenty of women that make it a habit of slapping guys they disagree with... I also know of plenty of women that prefer a man "take charge" and is the dominant...

now again, I'm not endorsing the video, as I said in my initial post, I'm still processing how I feel about it.

So if I'm in error, please point out exactly where and how...

I'm being sincere, no snark intended... and again, as I said, I'm still processing...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums