Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think I speak for a lot of Catholics when I say that the whole circus surrounding Pope Francis has become wearisome.

We are approaching eleven years since Jorge Bergoglio was elected Supreme Pontiff of the Catholic Church. While most of us knew almost nothing about the man when he walked onto the balcony of St. Peter’s Basilica, now most Catholics wish they knew less than they do. From pedophile-enabling Cardinal Danneels joining Francis on that balcony to the pope’s recent endorsement of same-sex couple blessings, controversy has surrounded this pontificate from beginning to end; a week doesn’t seem to go by without the pope stirring the pot with some papal appointment, document, or off-hand comment.

I think I speak for a lot of Catholics when I say that the whole circus surrounding Francis has become wearisome. Probably nothing Francis could do or say at this point would surprise us, although he still desperately makes every effort to do so. We repeat a tiresome cycle:

Step 1: The pope says or does something controversial.
Step 2: Conservative and Traditional Catholics criticize his actions (traditionalists directly, conservatives more obliquely).
Step 3: Progressive Catholics rejoice and take the pope to mean exactly what he says.
Step 4: Non-progressive popesplainers storm social media to explain that the pope doesn’t actually mean exactly what he says.
Step 5: Return to Step 1.

Continued below.

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟441,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I think I speak for a lot of Catholics when I say that the whole circus surrounding Pope Francis has become wearisome.

We are approaching eleven years since Jorge Bergoglio was elected Supreme Pontiff of the Catholic Church. While most of us knew almost nothing about the man when he walked onto the balcony of St. Peter’s Basilica, now most Catholics wish they knew less than they do. From pedophile-enabling Cardinal Danneels joining Francis on that balcony to the pope’s recent endorsement of same-sex couple blessings, controversy has surrounded this pontificate from beginning to end; a week doesn’t seem to go by without the pope stirring the pot with some papal appointment, document, or off-hand comment.

I think I speak for a lot of Catholics when I say that the whole circus surrounding Francis has become wearisome. Probably nothing Francis could do or say at this point would surprise us, although he still desperately makes every effort to do so. We repeat a tiresome cycle:

Step 2: Conservative and Traditional Catholics criticize his actions (traditionalists directly, conservatives more obliquely).
Step 3: Progressive Catholics rejoice and take the pope to mean exactly what he says.
Step 4: Non-progressive popesplainers storm social media to explain that the pope doesn’t actually mean exactly what he says.

Continued below.
I haven't stormed anything.

:holy::holy::holy:

I worry more than I can say. Because from what I know of, attacking the Pope is considered a huge no no as far as sinning.
Because it harms all.
I prefer unity.
I prefer to want to avoid judging the Vicar.
I prefer to want to know what he is attempting to do or say.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,071.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I worry more than I can say. Because from what I know of, attacking the Pope is considered a huge no no as far as sinning.
Because it harms all.
I prefer unity.
Yes we know WA. Good for you. You seem to have issues with people not simply keeping their mouths shut. Voicing concern and frustration is not attacking the pope. The pope could of fixed these issues years ago.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,071.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Acts 23:5

I just do not want that ^^^
And as the Good Book says, to help others.

Otherwise; I just would avoid most of this.
Again, talking past each other. Being silent does nobody any favors as Catholics should well know by now. And again, Pope Francis could have squelched these frustrations by helping the flock and clarifying and answering questions. A lot of clergy agree. You need to understand the struggle some of us have with what is happening in the Church and stop trying to politely waggle your finger at others. You are pretty much doing exactly what you keep telling others not to do. There is nothing evil in the article posted.

Last edited:
Reactions: SashaMaria
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,071.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I suggest you read Acts including the previous chapters instead of cherry picking verses. Paul himself criticized Peter concerning the gentiles and Jewish law. This is nothing new.

In context:

23 Paul looked straight at the Sanhedrin and said, “My brothers, I have fulfilled my duty to God in all good conscience to this day.” 2 At this the high priest Ananias ordered those standing near Paul to strike him on the mouth. 3 Then Paul said to him, “God will strike you, you whitewashed wall! You sit there to judge me according to the law, yet you yourself violate the law by commanding that I be struck!”

4 Those who were standing near Paul said, “How dare you insult God’s high priest!”

5 Paul replied, “Brothers, I did not realize that he was the high priest; for it is written: ‘Do not speak evil about the ruler of your people.’[a]”

6 Then Paul, knowing that some of them were Sadducees and the others Pharisees, called out in the Sanhedrin, “My brothers, I am a Pharisee,descended from Pharisees. I stand on trial because of the hope of the resurrection of the dead.” 7 When he said this, a dispute broke out between the Pharisees and the Sadducees, and the assembly was divided. 8 (The Sadducees say that there is no resurrection, and that there are neither angels nor spirits, but the Pharisees believe all these things.)

9 There was a great uproar, and some of the teachers of the law who were Pharisees stood up and argued vigorously. “We find nothing wrong with this man,” they said. “What if a spirit or an angel has spoken to him?” 10 The dispute became so violent that the commander was afraid Paul would be torn to pieces by them. He ordered the troops to go down and take him away from them by force and bring him into the barracks.

11 The following night the Lord stood near Paul and said, “Take courage! As you have testified about me in Jerusalem, so you must also testify in Rome.”

The Plot to Kill Paul​

Continued below.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟441,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Again, talking past each other. Being silent does nobody any favors as Catholics should well know by now. And again, Pope Francis could have squelched these frustrations by helping the flock and clarifying and answering questions. A lot of clergy agree. You need to understand the struggle some of us have with what is happening in the Church and stop trying to politely waggle your finger at others. You are pretty much doing exactly what you keep telling others not to do. There is nothing evil in the article posted.
I do not think silence is the answer, but really 'helping people know' the precision of what he is saying, regardless of personal opinion on what he says.

The first post is accurate.

Except step 3 should be: progressives rejoice to what they decide he means.
As we all know, the squeaky wheels get the oil.
Most progressives get the limelight.

Yet after the emotions cool off, and it becomes less dramatic, then the clarity happens but nobody cares anymore.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,071.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I do not think silence is the answer, but really 'helping people know' the precision of what he is saying, regardless of personal opinion on what he says.

The first post is accurate.

Except step 3 should be: progressives rejoice to what they decide he means.
As we all know, the squeaky wheels get the oil.
Most progressives get the limelight.

Yet after the emotions cool off, and it becomes less dramatic, then the clarity happens but nobody cares anymore.
My honest suggestion to you is if you are so concerned about other Catholics frustrations with this pontificate is start concentrating on other things posted instead of commenting in these threads you find so sinful according to you. You act as if you have the inside scoop. You even go as far as to critic the article. You cannot speak for the author of the article anymore than you can speak for the pope. Those that question have every right to question those that are weary have every right to say so. You speak of judgement yet you judge… it really is frustrating. It reminds me of the man in scripture giving thanks to God that he is so unlike all these other sinners he is surrounded with.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Solo81

Jan 19, 2024
Gundy
✟18,064.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I don't pay any attention to what PF says or does. I gave up trying to figure him out years ago.
I still pray for him - as is my duty - and recommend all RC's pray for him but there's no point in getting worked up over him. The only thing that can change his heart is prayer.

Upvote 0
Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟258,241.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I could care less of what the Pope says. As Pope he is the infallible guardian of the Faith because Jesus is the same yesterday, today and forever.

This is what makes modernism a grave error. Jesus does not change. Doctrines develop but never do a 180 degee turn to the opposite of what has been taught. Jesus promised that the Holy Spirit would protect the Church. Francis may want to change doctrine or become a dictator rather than a guardian, but he will be prevented.

Tired of the cycle? Then stop blaming Francis and start doing self reflection. Chad Ripperger had and excellent article in Breitbart today.

He says that in 1963 exorcist typically took two days to liberate a soul from demonic possession. Now it takes weeks months or even years. It is not that Jesus has lost His power or the Exorcists are not well trained, it is because the Church is not as holy as it used to be.

At one time, people cared about personal holiness and frequently worked in prayer and fasting. They received the sacraments often avoided mortal sin and were even concerned about near occasions of venial sin.

Now we act like Homer Simpson when he found out about the Catholic Church. You mean I could sin all week and all I have to do is come to confession and I am not condemned? Wooo Hooo. Or we are cafeteria Catholics that accept only some of the faith but ignore subjects with which we disagree. Then we go to Mass every week and expect to tell God hey I showed up every week, ain’t that good enough?

No it’s not no it’s not. If we complain about our leaders, what do we do? Are we frequenting the Sacraments? Do we accept the Lord’s chastisement and repent, or do we grumble about the old days and how great it would be if we were there? That is one of the worst fantasies that demons use to distract the faithful. We can never go back to the past. We can only control what we do now. If we are neglecting holiness now, we would have then also.

We have now become Christian communists. We are so full of sloth that we complain that others are not working harderfor us. We want to be the foolish virgins and have our pill handed to us. We need more benefits so the saints need to work harder so we dont have to. That is how God looks on our complaints if we won’t repent and begin to wholeheartedly practice our faith. Our sloth has robbed the power of our best exorcists. Why? Because God is a Father and he will not reward bad behavior.

Talks of schism and speaking evil of the Pope are not holy behaviors for which we should expect a reward, no matter how right we think we are.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟277,080.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
With all due respect, I think that "the precision of what he is saying" and the pronouncements issued by Pope Francis are mutually exclusive terms. Francis has never been "precise" in anything that he's ever said or done......the man is a master at innuendo and foggy unclarity, leaving his statements to be interpreted whatever way his hearers want to them to say.

It would be interesting to see what his answer might be if one of those "backwards, ideological, close-minded" Americans asked him to definitively state whether or not water is wet and the sky blue. I'm sure we'd get a range of answers, but nothing solid.

Reactions: WarriorAngel
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
We should all be storming heaven for a remedy to this grand mess.

Because it harms all.
Attacking the pope is a serious thing. We shouldn't actually be attacking him. We can point out to each other where he has blundered though, which is proper so we don't fall into his blunders. We should not find any glee in doing so though.
I prefer unity.
We all prefer unity. But unity somehow up and went away. Pope Francis has said he isn't afraid of schism. We should all be afraid of schism.

We could all be united again if we all just up and accepted the blunders the pope has fallen into. Or if we all just made it known we will not be drawn into the pope's particular blunders, and if the pope then corrects his particular blunders. He needs to know he has blundered, that he is harming the faith, and that he can fix the problem if he wants to.
We cannot judge his soul. His acts and words we can judge. We should judge them. And hopefully we judge them wise and true and good and beautiful. But if they are not wise or true or good or beautiful we should not pretend they are. That is false judgement.
We can read what he says. We can see who he appoints. We can read what those people write. It's not hidden. For example, the 'blessing' of 'couples' in homosexual relationships is there in black and white in a document by cardinal Fernandez. It is indisputable. So then there is the issue of what a 'couple' is or isn't and what a 'blessing' is or isn't. Cardinal Fernandez has issued I think two 'clarifications' now of Fiducia Supplicans that don't clarify much. They are public record and you can read them. Pope Francis has said that people who disagree just haven't read the document. Sorry. I have. Or that the're African. Sorry again. Morality doesn't change based on the continent you're in. What pope Francis has said about FS, and what cardinal Fernandez have said are accessible.

I was thrilled when pope Francis was chosen. Then as he said lots of strange stuff I gave him the benefit of the doubt. That benefit ran out some time ago. He is making big mistakes. Maybe it's naivete or maybe it's ideological. But the time will come when another pope has to try to pick up the pieces of the mess he has made. We will have to face up to it. Better to do so now while he has a chance of self-correcting. We should be storming heaven with our prayers for him. And we should be honest enough to admit to ourselves that he has blundered badly on Fiducia Supplicans. And maybe he will notice that he went a bridge or three too far and try to come back.

Upvote 0