Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,827.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"In an age of endless war and social turmoil, the veteran has become a fetish. Americans are desperate to believe the United States is still righteous and powerful, even though most of us know otherwise. Much like the flag we drape ourselves in, the fetishized veteran functions as a security blanket for a population deeply worried it is in danger and has lost its way.....

A Veterans Day plea from a Marine: Please, stop revering us

• Agree
Reactions: USincognito

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
As the son and grandson of veterans, I disagree. They sacrificed too much to not honor them. God bless all of our veterans!

I agree. Many are homeless, after sacrificing soooo much, and are forgotten, and rendered "invisible".

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,827.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As the son and grandson of veterans, I disagree. They sacrificed too much to not honor them. God bless all of our veterans!

While I don't necessarily agree with everything this veteran wrote, I don't think the author is saying we should not honor them...rather, it's a call to reflect on what it means to send our children into war.....and it's consequences. What are we veterans really defending? (and I ask this as veteran of the cold war)
To be bluntly honest: We have not truly defended our nation's freedom in conflict since WWII.

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It is fine to respect them, but putting them on a sacred pedestal is ill advised. The military functions best when they are another one of our neighbors, families and friends. Treating them as a sacred other can lead to the military becoming an exclusive tier, separate from the rest of society. When that happens they tend to have less compassion for the fellow man, since they aren't their fellow any more.

Veterans put themselves at high risk for their jobs, but so do many civilians. Being a loggers is statistically the most dangerous job in America, but we don't have national holidays for them, or salute them in parades. Note that the rate of death for a logger is about the same as the average soldier was during the Iraq invasion.

And the kicker is, they both volunteered for their jobs. The ones I have much higher esteem for were those conscripted, as they were basically dragged off to meatgrinders.

I'm not saying you should respect a veteran for their service, or take away their national holidays. Just don't put them on too a high a pedestal.

• Agree
Reactions: wing2000
Upvote 0

SteveIndy

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2007
Zionsville, Indiana
✟247,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"In an age of endless war and social turmoil, the veteran has become a fetish. Americans are desperate to believe the United States is still righteous and powerful, even though most of us know otherwise. Much like the flag we drape ourselves in, the fetishized veteran functions as a security blanket for a population deeply worried it is in danger and has lost its way.....

Christians have equated politics and patriotism with Christianity when they are opposite ends of the spectrum. Christians have been hand fed the regurgitated logic of many hundreds of years of faulty theology. Christians today and for many years have not read their Bible for themselves but must search high and low till they find a preacher or commentary that says what they want to believe about Christ and Christianity.

Reactions: wing2000
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Wow have to tell my wife she sleeps with a fetish every night.

Do you think she married me for the uniform? I've always wondered.....

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
While I don't necessarily agree with everything this veteran wrote
Yet posted it anyway.

, I don't think the author is saying we should not honor them...

Sure he is as he calls us a fetish.

rather, it's a call to reflect on what it means to send our children into war.....and it's consequences.

Then the article should really be about that and I would agree.

What are we veterans really defending? (and I ask this as veteran of the cold war)

I've asked this question too. Only one way to find out. Disarm the US Armed forces and wait and see what happens to our world and country. I don't recommend this but it is the only way to find out and we have plenty of politicians and foreign nations who would love to see this happen.

To be bluntly honest: We have not truly defended our nation's freedom in conflict since WWII.

Which freedoms? Speech? Religion? Economic? Allies?

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Wow have to tell my wife she sleeps with a fetish every night.

Do you think she married me for the uniform? I've always wondered.....

LOL!

A blessed Veterans Day to you, and God bless you, your wife, and all the family and household.

Thank you for all you sacrificed for us.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Christians have equated politics and patriotism with Christianity when they are opposite ends of the spectrum. Christians have been hand fed the regurgitated logic of many hundreds of years of faulty theology. Christians today and for many years have not read their Bible for themselves but must search high and low till they find a preacher or commentary that says what they want to believe about Christ and Christianity.
Seems like you may have had some negative personal experience in what you accuse others of doing. Will you share?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Veterans put themselves at high risk for their jobs, but so do many civilians. Being a loggers is statistically the most dangerous job in America, but we don't have national holidays for them
There is Arbor day.

• Haha
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Veterans put themselves at high risk for their jobs, but so do many civilians. Being a loggers is statistically the most dangerous job in America, but we don't have national holidays for them, or salute them in parades. Note that the rate of death for a logger is about the same as the average soldier was during the Iraq invasion.
There is a big difference between someone who goes into a dangerous position for profit and someone who does it knowing he may have to die to protect others.
I thank you veterans for all you have done. God bless you.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

God bless all the Veterans in your family on this day of remembrance and honor.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
There is a big difference between someone who goes into a dangerous position for profit and someone who does it knowing he may have to die to protect others.
I thank you veterans for all you have done. God bless you.

Amen. Standing with you to remember, honor, and give due respect for all the sacrifices made by our Veterans.

God bless each of them, and God bless you too.

Upvote 0

SteveIndy

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2007
Zionsville, Indiana
✟247,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

A Christian as a hired gun, the ultimate oxymoron. A gun in one hand and an olive branch in the other.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
A Christian as a hired gun, the ultimate oxymoron. A gun in one hand and an olive branch in the other.
Who had a greater faith than anyone in Israel? A Roman Centurion, a military man.

Upvote 0

SteveIndy

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2007
Zionsville, Indiana
✟247,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Seems like you may have had some negative personal experience in what you accuse others of doing. Will you share?

What does killing have to do with life? What does politics have to do with peace? And, what does the flag have to do with freedom? Yet, so-called Christians pretend to serve two masters when it is plainly said that it cannot be done. These so-called Christians would fight for a piece of cloth and turn their back on the One who calls for peace and sacrifice. Their allegiance is to that piece of cloth and all that it stands for and Christ is pushed aside for the pleasure of the flesh in seeing their enemy condemned or killed. Most Christians fantasize daily about how they would destroy men's lives by the gross time they spend watching the television.

Upvote 0

SteveIndy

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2007
Zionsville, Indiana
✟247,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Who had a greater faith than anyone in Israel? A Roman Centurion, a military man.

The early history books of the time list many who left the military after following Christ. And, we are not told what the soldier did after his act of faith, your speculation carries no weight at all, it is an argument from silence and is just as good in my defense as yours.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

I appreciate his sentiment, not all soldiers are heroes, at least not if they don't have to be. A lady in a convenience store saw me in uniform in the line behind her, she kindly turned and thanked me for my service. I said thank you ma'am, which seemed like the polite thing to do. Then my daughter informs the lady I was a gas station attendant who either built or drove the gas station. Which was true, I was the fuel NCO for FOB Wilson in RC South Afghanistan. Indignant she said what? I said that's all they ever needed to know and she again thanked me for my service.

We are not all heroes, trust me, but our service costs us plenty even if we don't serve on the front lines. It's a unique occupation and I've had the distinct privilege to become acquainted with what I consider to be natural soldiers, who serve in a way most people couldn't, even fellow soldiers. I was there when one guy had his back peppered with shrapnel only to return to duty a few months later. While another soldier was unfortunate to catch a piece in the chest, severing his aorta, leaving behind a 6 month old daughter he only meet briefly before he deployed.

I've known these people, I've even had them in my squad, real soldiers who do whats necessary and had the medals to prove it. I can tell you this, they have no ambitions about being heros, they do their job and for that we should be grateful. I understand where this Marine is coming from, I share his sentiments, and I thank him for his service.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Upvote 0