Sep 14, 2010
✟1,060.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

Holiness is required

“… but as He who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct,
because it is written, “Be holy, for I am holy.” (1 Peter 1:15-16, NKJV)

“… we should be holy and without blame before Him in love …” (Ephesians 1:4, NKJV)

“… to present you holy, and blameless, and above reproach in His sight,
if indeed you continue in the faith, grounded and steadfast,
and are not moved away from the hope of the gospel …” (Colossians 1:22-23, NKJV)

More verses: 2 Timothy 1:9, 2 Peter 3:11, Romans 12:1, 1 Peter 2:5-9, Rev. 20:6, 21:8

Perfection is required

“Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect.” (Matthew 5:48, NKJV)

“But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete …” (James 1:4, NKJV)

“… that He might present her to Himself a glorious church, not having spot or wrinkle
or any such thing, but that she should be holy and without blemish.” (Ephesians 5:27, NKJV)

More verses: John 17:22-23, Galatians 3:3-4, Ephesians 4:13, Hebrews 10:1

This is only your reasonable service

“I appeal to you therefore, brethren, and beg of you in view of [all] the mercies of God,
to make a decisive dedication of your bodies [presenting all your members and faculties]
as a living sacrifice, holy (devoted, consecrated) and well pleasing to God,
which is your reasonable (rational, intelligent) service and spiritual worship.” (Romans 12:1, Amp)

Describing Jesus’ church

“… a glorious church, not having spot or wrinkle or any such thing … holy and without blemish.”
(Ephesians 5:27, NKJV)

How to be part of it

If you have been born-again …
you have the Holy Spirit inside of you to help you become an overcomer.
The Holy Spirit is trying to purify you through His sanctification process.

You have the free will to choose

-- to be obedient to the Scriptures
-- to co-operate with the Holy Spirit
-- to be sanctified unto holiness and perfection

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Fortunately, I'm found in Christ. He's holy and perfect. His righteousness is imputed to me.

"B lessed are those whose lawless deeds have been forgiven, A nd whose sins have been covered. "B lessed is the man whose sin the Lord will not take into account." (Romans 4:7, 8 NASB)

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself up for her, so that He might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, that He might present to Himself the church in all her glory, having no spot or wrinkle or any such thing; but that she would be holy and blameless. This mystery is great; but I am speaking with reference to Christ and the church. (Ephesians 5:25-27, 32 NASB)

Who is responsible for the bride bring without spot or wrinkle?

Upvote 0

Epiphoskei

Senior Veteran
Jul 7, 2007
✟25,557.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Holiness is required

Holiness is supplied.
Perfection is required
Perfection is supplied.
Monergism or hell.

This is really what it comes down to. Either 1) God sanctifies us monergistically, 2) sanctification isn't required for heaven, or 3) we fail to cooperate in our sanctification and go to hell. You've correctly thrown out the second option. I believe the first. There is no fourth.

Upvote 0

Epiphoskei

Senior Veteran
Jul 7, 2007
✟25,557.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Why then do so many Calvinists, so frequently insist that regeneration/justification is monergistic, and sanctification is synergistic?
If some do, they err. They'd have to deny that sanctification is by grace alone, and Sola Gratia to the Reformed is roughly the same thing as Monergism.

Upvote 0

John Zain

Sep 14, 2010
✟1,060.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
... sanctification is by grace alone
Everything really is by grace alone, but ...

“I appeal to you therefore, brethren, and beg of you in view of [all] the mercies of God,
to make a decisive dedication of your bodies [presenting all your members and faculties]
which is your reasonable (rational, intelligent) service and spiritual worship.” (Romans 12:1, Amp)

Paul says our reasonable service is ...
obedience and co-operation with our sanctification unto (towards) holiness.

Last time I checked the OT, obedience and co-operation were required there also!
Unless you prefer being strewn all over the desert floor.

Seems to be a habit of God to insist on this ... but, if thou preferest not to ...

Upvote 0

Epiphoskei

Senior Veteran
Jul 7, 2007
✟25,557.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Everything really is by grace alone, but ...

Paul says our reasonable service is ...
obedience and co-operation with our sanctification unto (towards) holiness.

Last time I checked the OT, obedience and co-operation were required there also!
Unless you prefer being strewn all over the desert floor.

Seems to be a habit of God to insist on this ... but, if thou preferest not to ...

The short answer is that the presence of an imperative verb is not sufficient to prove synergism.

Upvote 0

Ignatius21

Can somebody please pass the incense?
May 21, 2009
Dayton, OH
✟22,008.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
If some do, they err. They'd have to deny that sanctification is by grace alone, and Sola Gratia to the Reformed is roughly the same thing as Monergism.

Is Sanctification Monergistic or Synergistic? A Reformed Survey – Kevin DeYoung

An interesting discussion above. Maybe it boils down to semantics for the Reformed. Not my concern anymore :cool:

All of Christ's work is synergistic. The incarnation IS synergy. All of his work in us is synergistic. It can't be any other way. But this isn't my thread ^_^

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Butch5

Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2012
Homer Georgia
Visit site
✟308,557.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Holiness is required

“… we should be holy and without blame before Him in love …” (Ephesians 1:4, NKJV)

and are not moved away from the hope of the gospel …” (Colossians 1:22-23, NKJV)

More verses: 2 Timothy 1:9, 2 Peter 3:11, Romans 12:1, 1 Peter 2:5-9, Rev. 20:6, 21:8

Perfection is required

“Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect.” (Matthew 5:48, NKJV)

“But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete …” (James 1:4, NKJV)

“… that He might present her to Himself a glorious church, not having spot or wrinkle
or any such thing, but that she should be holy and without blemish.” (Ephesians 5:27, NKJV)

Describing Jesus’ church

“… a glorious church, not having spot or wrinkle or any such thing … holy and without blemish.”

How to be part of it

Why would anyone be expecting to go to Heaven? The Scriptures don't teach that.

Upvote 0

John Zain

Sep 14, 2010
✟1,060.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
An interesting discussion above. Maybe it boils down to semantics for the Reformed. Not my concern anymore.
All of Christ's work is synergistic. The incarnation IS synergy. All of his work in us is synergistic.
It can't be any other way. But this isn't my thread
Oh, it most definitely COULD be monogeristic ... God has every right for it to be so!
But, here again we have grace!
He has chosen to allow man to partake in his fate via his free will.

Throughout the Scriptures ...
I see God desiring man to work with Him hand-in-hand while He accomplishes His goals on earth.

Upvote 0

Ignatius21

Can somebody please pass the incense?
May 21, 2009
Dayton, OH
✟22,008.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Oh, it most definitely COULD be monogeristic ... God has every right for it to be so!
But, here again we have grace!
He has chosen to allow man to partake in his fate via his free will.

Throughout the Scriptures ...
I see God desiring man to work with Him hand-in-hand while He accomplishes His goals on earth.

To say that it could have been monergistic, is to say that Christ could have come as something other than fully human, and that the Incarnation was not necessary to salvation.

Upvote 0

Skala

I'm a Saint. Not because of me, but because of Him
Mar 15, 2011
✟27,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Why then do so many Calvinists, so frequently insist that regeneration/justification is monergistic, and sanctification is synergistic?

I think someone would tell you its either synergistic or monergistic depending on what they are talking about.

It's monergistic in the sense that it is guaranteed. If sanctification is guaranteed, then that means at the end of the day, it was God's doing and God's work the whole time.

It's synergistic in the sense that we are involved in the process of putting to death sins in our life, turning from sinful activities, striving to grow in the knowledge of the Bible, putting into practice those things that are part of Christian life like prayer, Bible reading, attending church, serving, etc.

Upvote 0

John Zain

Sep 14, 2010
✟1,060.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
To say that it could have been monergistic, is to say that
Christ could have come as something other than fully human,
and that the Incarnation was not necessary to salvation.
I'd say your imagination is a tad shallow.
I'm no expert in these terms, but I meant ...
the whole thing could have been any-which-way God desired for it to be:
grace, or none
election, or none
free will, or none
all for heaven, or all for hell
and many etc.

It could easily have been all of God, and none of us!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Holiness is required

Perfection is required

Describing Jesus’ church

How to be part of it

How are you doing, John?

100 %
99.99999999999999999%
90%
78%
50%
less than 50%

====
But if anybody does sin, we have an advocate with the Father—Jesus Christ, the Righteous One.
====

I fall short every day. But Jesus who meets it 100% and who paid for my sins in full, pleads my case as my advocate..

I serve Him to say thanks, not to frantically try to make it.

DONE not DOING

====
Why should He let me into heaven? He should not, EXCEPT for what Christ has done FOR me. Christ's righteousness credited to me by faith fully meets heaven's standard.

Heaven is for the forgiven not the perfect achievers.

==

By the way, even if you or I could be perfect for a day, that is only one day of many.

Upvote 0

Skala

I'm a Saint. Not because of me, but because of Him
Mar 15, 2011
✟27,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Describing Jesus’ church

Why did you quote only part of this verse?

In its entirety, the verse plainly teaches that Christ's work actually results in the church not having spot or wrinkle or blemish, but being holy.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Why did you quote only part of this verse?

In its entirety, the verse plainly teaches that Christ's work actually results in the church not having spot or wrinkle or blemish, but being holy.

I pointed that out. He seems to have run from it.

Upvote 0