A song to speak to an atheist

H

Holypeta

Hi. I have a friend who is an atheist. He knows I am a hardcore Christian so being immature as he is he tries to send me different music videos to me telling me how what you believe in is not real and all that jumk... He also sends me stupid poems telling me the same thing. I really want to send him a very powerful song that may speak to an atheist. And when I say that I am saying like a rock song more geared to teenagers/young adults in this culture... With some people it actually takes that kind of music to lead them to the Lord at first. So anyone know of any songs that may speak to an unbeliever that is hard rock or anything like that? THX!

jgt50

May 3, 2010
✟7,696.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
a few songs by the band "seventh power" good and very heavy metal..
Songs are "far from fear" , "human sacrifice" you can find the songs on itunes or amazon. May god bless you and give you sucess in your mission/ also check out a band called "bloodgood" they have great christain metal

Upvote 0

DontTreadOnMike

Eddaic Literalist
Jan 28, 2010
✟16,936.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
StrongArm has the best lyrics out of any Christian band. They still give me goose bumps and make me all misty eyed. They're old-school hardcore, not that new junk. That means no breakdowns (thank God)

Here's a song by them with subtitles that I posted on youtube a while ago. The vocal style takes some getting used to. I hated it at first. But trust me, it WILL grow on you. They are now one of my all time favorites.The way the music and vocals lead each other on instead of the song just being driven by the drums...it's just amazing. Just listen to it. It's beautiful.

YouTube - StrongArm - Council of Perfection

Also, you wanna know something interesting? When StrongArm broke up they reformed with a new name and a new style....Further Seems Forever. Sad sad day that was :( hahah

Last edited:
Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Shining God's Light for a Lost World.
Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
This is probably not the style you're looking for, but middle-of-the-road enough that any age can appreciate it...

"There is a God" by Carman. It has a great timeless message.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOW4FrCmrhg

(Not sure if this link is right. If not, I'll fix it later.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LeightonH

Newbie?
Jan 28, 2010
Beautiful British Columbia
✟15,631.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
good very heavy metal? ... Christian metal??

I think the word oxymoron would apply to both of these phrases!

Pilgrim

Bloodgood - Seven

God gave Jesus a revelation
And the Lord sent His angel to John
The faithful witness, the firstborn from the dead
The ruler of the kings of all the earth
The one who loves us and has freed us from our sins
His blood has washed clean and now He's coming
So shall it be, Amen...

Bloodgood - Top of the Mountain

...Every morning my heart is singing of your love
Renewing my soul
I will praise you and lift my hands to you Lord
I'll never let you go

Search me and know me on Your word I'll stand
Guide me and hide me in Your mighty hands

I will climb to the top of the mountain on my knees
Just to be with you
I will ride on the wings of the wind
'Cause I believe, I believe in You...

Bloodgood - Messiah

Go! Into the world and tell
All of creation he lives
He lives in the hearts of men
He said, "Go! Into the world and tell
All of creation he lives
He lives in the hearts of men"

Dry your eyes, hold each other
Lift your thoughts, you are brothers
He's the Messiah

Don't be afraid, he has risen, he's not here
Why are you trembling with fear?
Just as he told you, just as he said
They could not stop him, he is not dead!

He's alive!

Do you think an un-Christian band would write songs with lyrics like this? Would they endure the persecution of the secular music industry/fans as well as persecution from judgmental Christians when it would have been so much easier to disguise their message with weak, ambiguous lyrics in order to appeal to the far wider (and more lucrative) secular market?
It's fine if you don't like the music because they didn't write it for you, but how can you judge their faith when they sacrificed so much of their lives to their ministry of music? And it was a sacrifice, because nobody got rich making Christian heavy metal in those days.

*Edit*
Another good one:

Bloodgood - Destruction

Pathway to heaven or highway to hell
Which one you're on is easy to tell
Live for yourself, no time for the Son
Don't blame God for your own Self-Destruction!

When it's all over, your life is done
No more chances and no place to run
You judge yourself if you turn away
Let him in, do it, do it today

The life you're leading's gonna cause you grief
You run from love, choke in disbelief
You say, "God is dead!", see what you've done

Let him in!
Destruction! Destruction!

You think life is cheap, well I got some news
Jesus Christ paid a high price for you, yeah
Died a sinner's death, see what he's done

Let him in, do it today!

Destruction! Destruction!
Destruction! Destruction!...

Upvote 0

Pilgrim72

Jan 9, 2008
✟15,150.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Leighton,

You wrote:

"Do you think an un-Christian band would write songs with lyrics like this? Would they endure the persecution of the secular music industry/fans as well as persecution from judgmental Christians when it would have been so much easier to disguise their message with weak, ambiguous lyrics in order to appeal to the far wider (and more lucrative) secular market?
It's fine if you don't like the music because they didn't write it for you, but how can you judge their faith when they sacrificed so much of their lives to their ministry of music? And it was a sacrifice, because nobody got rich making Christian heavy metal in those days."

Thanks for your reply Leighton. It was not my intention to condemn the Christian band. I was not judging their faith.
My point was only to state that from what I have researched and proved about heavy metal and metal music (not lyrics) the style of the music itself is possibly Satanic or pagan and not what I would think would please God.

I think a Christian band would write lyrics like this of course, but I think they may not have the knowledge or experience to know the facts about the type of music they play and it's detrimental effect on the spirit and the human body and mind.

I believe what the Bible says in Revelation 12:9 "...that serpent of old, called the Devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world...".

Satan does deceive!....Me, you, the Christian churches, musicians, lyric writers, the WHOLE world.

These things are what forms my thoughts about metal and heavy metal music.

The lyrics of the Christian band are inspired, beautiful, and enhance my spirit, mind, and peace.

I am from a different generation born in 1932 and have sung, played and enjoyed over 70 years of beautiful music that has a pleasing beat, toe tapping rhythm, and rests easy on my ears, however... metal disturbs my spirit, my mind, and my peace.

All the best,

Pilgrim

Upvote 0

LeightonH

Newbie?
Jan 28, 2010
✟15,631.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for your reply Leighton. It was not my intention to condemn the Christian band. I was not judging their faith.
My point was only to state that from what I have researched and proved about heavy metal and metal music (not lyrics) the style of the music itself is possibly Satanic or pagan and not what I would think would please God.

I think a Christian band would write lyrics like this of course, but I think they may not have the knowledge or experience to know the facts about the type of music they play and it's detrimental effect on the spirit and the human body and mind.

I believe what the Bible says in Revelation 12:9 "...that serpent of old, called the Devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world...".

Satan does deceive!....Me, you, the Christian churches, musicians, lyric writers, the WHOLE world.

These things are what forms my thoughts about metal and heavy metal music.

The lyrics of the Christian band are inspired, beautiful, and enhance my spirit, mind, and peace.

I am from a different generation born in 1932 and have sung, played and enjoyed over 70 years of beautiful music that has a pleasing beat, toe tapping rhythm, and rests easy on my ears, however... metal disturbs my spirit, my mind, and my peace.

All the best,

Pilgrim

Sorry if I misinterpreted the meaning of your post, but I guess I don't see how you can separate the music from the message. I think it's what the band is saying through their music that matters, not how it sounds. I realize it might sound like a bunch of disharmonious noise to the people of your generation, but I'm willing to bet that more than few of your own grandparents generation felt the same kind of distress about your toe-tapping rhythms.
I don't think God is limited to music of any certain era or genre, what he really cares about is what is in the heart of the musician. It's true that Satan has used heavy metal, as well as hip-hop, rock, electronic, country, jazz, marching band, classical, etc. for evil, but I'm not willing to give over to him whatever he has usurped for his purposes.
It is widely believed (although not proven) that many of the early hymns were set to barroom tunes and even if they weren't, they sound a lot like the popular music of the era. I remember reading that there was strong opposition to Handel's Messiah from the local church because it seemed to them to be an unholy melding of the sacred and the secular, but I think we can both agree that it is beautiful and inspired music of worship.
The Bible doesn't have a lot to say about what styles of music are acceptable but when I read the Psalms, I don't see hymns or Gospel quartets any more than I see rock or metal.

Psalm 33
1 Shout for joy in the Lord, O you righteous!
Praise befits the upright.
2 Give thanks to the Lord with the lyre;
make melody to him with the harp of ten strings!
3 Sing to him a new song;
play skillfully on the strings, with loud shouts.

Psalm 150
1 Praise the Lord!
Praise God in his sanctuary;
praise him in his mighty heavens!
Praise him for his mighty deeds;
praise him according to his excellent greatness!
3 Praise him with trumpet sound;
praise him with lute and harp!
Praise him with tambourine and dance;
praise him with strings and pipe!
Praise him with sounding cymbals;
praise him with loud clashing cymbals!
Let everything that has breath praise the Lord!
Praise the Lord!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LeightonH

Newbie?
Jan 28, 2010
✟15,631.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hi. I have a friend who is an atheist. He knows I am a hardcore Christian so being immature as he is he tries to send me different music videos to me telling me how what you believe in is not real and all that jumk... He also sends me stupid poems telling me the same thing. I really want to send him a very powerful song that may speak to an atheist. And when I say that I am saying like a rock song more geared to teenagers/young adults in this culture... With some people it actually takes that kind of music to lead them to the Lord at first. So anyone know of any songs that may speak to an unbeliever that is hard rock or anything like that? THX!

Sorry to have sidetracked your thread.

I'm not sure if just sending videos back at him is the the best answer necessarily. I think you should directly counter his arguments with scripture and sound biblical wisdom. Christian music definitely has value but our best offensive weapon is the sword of the Spirit which is the Word of God. If you don't know how to counter his arguments, than please don't hesitate to ask for help, maybe from your dad or pastor. Sometimes even Google works. I find this page or BibleGateway.com to be a big help when looking for specific subjects in the Bible.

Upvote 0