A small city in Oklahoma elected a white nationalist. Will it be able to vote him out in a recall election? (A: YES!)

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Judd Blevins, a city commissioner in Enid, Oklahoma, marched in the 2017 white nationalist Unite the Right rally. Now he faces a recall vote.

ENID, Okla. — The photo of Judd Blevins was unmistakable.

In it, Blevins, bearded and heavyset, held a tiki torch on the University of Virginia campus, on the eve of Unite the Right, a 2017 coming-together of the nation’s neo-Nazi and white supremacist groups.

Vickers had it enlarged at a local print and copy shop. On a January night in 2023, she and Nancy Presnall, best friends, retirees and rare Democrats in a deeply red Oklahoma county, brought it to a sparsely attended forum where Blevins, a candidate running to represent Ward 1 on Enid’s six-seat City Council, was making his case.

As his campaign manager whisked a red-faced Blevins away, Vickers and Presnall followed, yelling, “Answer the question, Judd!”

“He ran away from two little old ladies,” Presnall recalled.

Two weeks later, on Valentine’s Day, Blevins won his race, unseating the Republican incumbent, widely viewed as a devoted public servant, who died from cancer later that year. Voters seemed to appreciate Blevins’ bio: a veteran who’d served in Iraq and who’d worked a manual job in Tulsa before moving back to his hometown to take over his father’s roofing business. Blevins described himself as a man of God and extolled the city as a place where “traditional values” remained the norm.

Blevins has declined multiple interview requests. (In response to questions about his white nationalist ties, he told a reporter, “I hope you find God.”)

What is clear is that from at least 2017 to 2019, Blevins was an active leader in Identity Evropa, one of the largest among the white nationalist and neo-Nazi groups that collectively made up the alt-right.

Wade Burleson, former president of the Southern Baptists of Oklahoma and a retired pastor of Enid’s largest church, was an early supporter of Blevins on Facebook. Burleson, who also sits on the faith advisory committee of the state’s controversial school Superintendent Ryan Walters, said attempts to unseat Blevins are a “race-bait trap,” an attempt by “communists” and the “mainstream media” to “divide the world over race.”

From the office of his new ministry, an old Pizza Hut remodeled by his wife, Burleson explained that Blevins’ time with white nationalism was a response to his service in the Marines and a reaction to the Black Lives Matter movement.

“He made some mistakes,” Burleson said, “but he’s not a racist.”

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,275.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I live on the Oklahoma border and sadly, it seems as if a candidate like Blevins would be widely supported.

We have this extremist group in our town, the "Elders," the "guardians of the gates." They try to take over school boards, library boards, city boards, etc. to take over the educational system with their false Christian nationalist narratives.

As we were investigating this group (I didn't go personally but friends did) we learned that the headquarters of the main "Elders" movement is in Tulsa.
I have met families of domestic terrorists in my years here. One such family had 8 daughters, all homeschooled girl scouts. They lived in a community in the hills, and the women seemed nice. I don't think they knew that the FBI had them under close supervision and that they were believed to have collaborated with the OKC bombers.

When I flew out of Tulsa years ago (something I hardly ever do but how else could you go to a Denver conference for $130 round trip on Southwest?) they had state of the art TSA screening. "We are the first airport in the country to test them out," the TSA rep told me, "because of all the domestic terrorists."

So yes, Oklahoma definitely has a dark side, but there are wonderful people there, and when we saw Rachel Maddow speak in Tulsa the audience was sold out.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟703,002.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So yes, Oklahoma definitely has a dark side, but there are wonderful people there, and when we saw Rachel Maddow speak in Tulsa the audience was sold out.
Pbbllllt - from the Tulsa World - sold out? Don't think so....

Screenshot 2024-03-14 173541.jpg

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,076.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Pbbllllt - from the Tulsa World - sold out? Don't think so....
I can't really believe that you actually looked for a picture of her and thought 'Yes! Empty chairs! This will show those lefties!' Tell us...how good did it feel?

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

Oklahoma official with white nationalist ties is ousted in recall vote

Judd Blevins, who marched alongside neo-Nazis in Charlottesville, Virginia, in 2017, lost his fight to remain on Enid’s City Council.

ENID, Okla. — Voters in Enid decided by a nearly 20-point margin Tuesday to remove a City Council member over his ties to white nationalist groups.

Blevins will be replaced by Cheryl Patterson, a former teacher and longtime Republican who campaigned on a return to “normalcy” for this small city nearly 100 miles north of Oklahoma City, which was divided by the furor over Blevins.

Blevins has denied that he has ever been a white supremacist, but at a candidate forum last week he defended marching in Charlottesvilleand said his activism was motivated by “the same issues that got Donald Trump elected in 2016.”

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,275.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I am glad that voters in Enid did the right thing. Oklahoma is a beautiful state with a remarkable history, Native American heritage, wonderful cultural attractions, and good people.

Bartlesville is one of those old "legacy" towns, similar to what Hershey, Pennsylvania used to be. The CEO of Phillips Petroleum, like Milton Hershey, wanted his employees and neighbors to enjoy an excellent quality of life, and he invested in museums and zoos and other amenities in Bartlesville. They even have an OK Mozart Festival there each June, with classical artists from all over the country performing.

They have monasteries and abbeys and strong religious traditions.

And then they have people like Blevins...

And Timothy McVeigh....

And, sadly, a lot of other Oklahoma politicians.

But there is good, too. Senator Lankford stood up a deal to provide more border security which he helped negotiate---while other Republican Senators, cowering in fear of Trump's mandate to let 90,000 immigrants cross the border each month to "help him win."

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I can't really believe that you actually looked for a picture of her and thought 'Yes! Empty chairs! This will show those lefties!' Tell us...how good did it feel?
I bet she's only ever been there once!

Upvote 0