• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

A simple look at a Bible contradiction

Discussion in 'Christianity and World Religion' started by smaller, Aug 14, 2002.

1. Soul_Searcher

Soul_Searcher Contributor

+249
    Other Religion
    Budoka, is that your question: "Why would God allow the Bible to be so imperfect?" If so, to whom is it addressed?

Thanks for your response to me; "I can accept the odd date being out by a year or two, or disagreements about names of minor players, but when the Bible gives two contradictory commandments it brings the validity of the whole into question, yes."

Now if by validity you're talking about the Bible being God's Perfect Word, I agree. It's not. I believe much of it was inspired, although some of the stories are simply horrible, such as Lot offering his daughters to the mob (a story repeated later); or the general who had to sacrifice his daughter because of a promise to God. But if you're talking about a spiritual guide I believe it works very well, and when you throw Jesus' teachings into the mix, there is none better. Jesus is all about the spiritual life, and I see you as a spiritual person; I would think you'd see that.

As I've said many times, the lessons matter, not the perfection.

P.S. I like your quote from Ueshiba.

2. budoka

budoka non-religious spirituality

+5
    SS: "Budoka, is that your question: "Why would God allow the Bible to be so imperfect?" If so, to whom is it addressed?"
    It's my question to those who believe that the Bible is the inerrant word of God which has never been mistranslated and which contains no contradictions.

"Jesus is all about the spiritual life, and I see you as a spiritual person; I would think you'd see that."
    You are obviously a very spiritual person too, SS; unlike many Christians you can accept the fact that the Bible is not perfect.

To them I say: There are lots of good, useful things in the world that are flawed. The Bible might be one of them. GET OVER IT!

:cool:

Zak

3. I agree with what you say apart from the linking of Matthew's version with Luke's version. These are two different statements with different meaning. Lukes version should be looked at in the context of poverty since its opposite is  "woe to you that rich".  The contradiction is that in the old testament the righteous were rewarded with material wealth which is an impediment to spirituality in the new testament. Whats the use of making one rich so that he can become blind?

Assume that Matthew did not write beatitudes, how you would you have understood Luke's version?

You may want to go Theology section under "is lack of finance = lack of faith" topic where we are dicussing this topic 

I don't think so. The chronology of events in the Gospels are not similar.