Kathreftis

<div style="width:100%; filter:glow(color=royalblu
Feb 23, 2003
Midwestern United States
Visit site
✟7,617.00
Faith
Humanist
Let me start off by saying that I once went to church every Sunday with my family.&nbsp; That was about eight or so years ago.&nbsp; I was a Catholic by inheritance.&nbsp; However, I had some unanswered questions that couldn’t be answered by any members of my church and, in fact, those same church members verbally attacked me for asking such questions.&nbsp; I was already thinking about my departure from the church to do some studying of my own, and those verbal attacks ended up being the final shove out of the door.&nbsp; Fair enough, I suppose.&nbsp; I’m sure not all churches are like that, as I have seen a few that were quite open-minded, but right now I don’t feel my time in any&nbsp;church will amount to anything but another pile of questions that I would want answered before I professed my faith in God.

No, I’m not an Atheist.&nbsp; I’m Agnostic.&nbsp; And for those of you who cannot see the difference, allow me to draw the lines for you: Atheists, along with Theists, both take extreme points of view where the belief in God (or lack thereof) is dependent on faith.&nbsp; As much as some Atheists are reluctant to admit, saying that "No God exists" is&nbsp;no more testable than those who&nbsp;make the statement that&nbsp;"God must exist."&nbsp; It requires a certain amount of faith to declare something just as awesome.&nbsp; While that might be fine with some of you, it isn’t an answer for me.&nbsp; So rather than take a solid faith-based stance (Atheist or Theist) on the views of God, I would much rather continue to live my life without going to an extreme.&nbsp; I don’t think He doesn’t exist, but inversely I do not think He exists.&nbsp; It makes more sense to me to wait for some more believable evidence.&nbsp; At least I would rather wait for something worth believing in.

"Why is this guy here at a Christian forum?" you might be asking.&nbsp; Well, I’m a Philosophy / Religion major in my second year of college, and it’s to my advantage to find out as many opinions on as many religions as I can.&nbsp; In that sense, you help me.&nbsp; In return, I’ll also try and answer as many questions as you have to ask me.&nbsp; That will be somewhat difficult with my time schedule, since I won’t be posting as much as I’d like to, but I will try.&nbsp; School takes up the good percentage of my time while my friends and family take up the remainder.&nbsp; I’m sure many of you can understand that.

Oh, and in case some of you were wondering, I didn’t just make up my name I have here.&nbsp; In fact, it’s the Greek word for "mirror."&nbsp; There’s a reason I picked that name over the plethora of other names I could have chosen.&nbsp; Hopefully, from my time here, many of you will take a look at this Agnostic and see a great deal of your own selves in me.&nbsp; Aside from my belief in God, I’m not much different.&nbsp; Please don’t read that I’m not a Christian and immediately judge me to be some pathetic soul that needs to be saved.&nbsp; That’s not the case at all.&nbsp; From the tone and the sheer quantity of those responses over time, it only serves to degrade my integrity and character.&nbsp; You don’t have to pray for me.&nbsp; I ask that you do not,&nbsp;or at the very least&nbsp;do so without mentioning.&nbsp; I have direction.&nbsp; I have morals.&nbsp; I can stay within the imaginary bounds of morality without the dotted line of religion guiding my way.&nbsp; I’m as much of a good person as any of you, and I hope that people can make a better judgment on my character than just a spiritually-deep one.&nbsp; Many people don't do&nbsp;that, unfortunately, and miss a great opportunity for learning about other ways of thinking. I’m taking that leap... why can’t others?

In closing, I would only like to say one thing: We may be on different paths, but we are walking in the same direction.

EDIT: crazy HTML tags... can&nbsp;some knowledgable and able moderator&nbsp;fix that?

EDIT2: 4 attempts and no luck.&nbsp; Argh.

EDIT3: It's about time.&nbsp; I had to retype it in the reply window, rather than copy/paste from Word.&nbsp; Crazy stuff.

lookinguptoo

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
✟479.00
Faith
Christian
Kathreftis, I want to welcome you too and express how sorry I am with your experience in church. Since God allows us to question Him, then surely a church should allow questions too without bashing us. I can assure you that there are churches that gladly welcome questions. Any church that does not allow people to question is not pleasing God in my opinion. Anyway, I hope you do eventually get your questions answered.

Upvote 0

OracleX

Healer of Broken Hearts
Jan 17, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Visit site
✟9,882.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Welcome to CF!! I pray that you will find your answers here.

Just a tip, when using Word to write things up save in txt format and even then you will need to copy and past it in to a quick reply window. It doesn't help when making a new thread but the quick reply window seem to strip the Word formating.

:wave:

Upvote 0

GraftMeIn

The Masters Gardener
May 15, 2002
Visit site
✟6,403.00
Welcome to CF Kathreftis!

If it's the truth you seek just ask God for it :) Study the Bible on your own and seek the guidance of the Holy Ghost.

Luke 11:9-13
And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened. If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent? Or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion? If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?

John 14:26
But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

Upvote 0

Blessed-one

a long journey ahead
Jan 30, 2002
Australia
Visit site
✟25,777.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Welcome to CF!

i'd suggest the "Questions on christianity" forum to get some answers, or you could browse through the deeper fellowship forum for some devotions. :) um.. and there's a theology section too....

hope you enjoy it here, cya round in the forums.

Upvote 0

JoieDeVivre

Saved By Grace
Feb 25, 2003
Philippines
Visit site
✟271.00
Faith
Christian
Good post Kathreftis! I hope you find the answers you seek as you participate in this forum. I, in turn, would like to understand agnosticism too since I have a number of agnostic friends.

Never stop looking for the "believable evidence" you need in order to leap back to Christianity. All who seek Him are not in vain. If you you search with all your heart, He will reveal Himself to you.

Take care.

Upvote 0

AlabamaMan

A writer changing the world one word at a time.
Jan 7, 2003
Tijuana, Mexico
Visit site
✟45,139.00
Country
Mexico
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Kathreftis, You are a very well spoken person! I hope you enjoy your time here and also have any questions you have answered. I know some agnostic people, and although I don't understand their point of view, I respect it. I also respect you for coming here and letting us know from the start about your situation, it helps us to know more about you. Good luck in class.

Jay

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kathreftis

Feb 23, 2003
Midwestern United States
Visit site
✟7,617.00
Faith
Humanist
I'll take these replies in respective order to the posts underneath my initial one:

1. Thank you.

2. Thanks.&nbsp; I will try to enjoy it.

3. Thanks again.&nbsp; Can posting be happy?&nbsp; I never got that feeling.

4. Yeah, it does get under the skin to know that there are others who wish not to answer simple questions about faith, or about anything for that matter.&nbsp; Questions are the keys to knowledge.&nbsp; I guess I chose&nbsp;the wrong lock.&nbsp; But you win some, you lose some . . . I hope I get my questions answered, as well.&nbsp; Time will tell.

5. I sincerely doubt I will find all of my answers here, since the questions I ponder on a daily basis&nbsp;far outweigh anyone's capacity to answer them completely.&nbsp; I won't ever get them completely answered, but I'm going to die trying.&nbsp; And thanks for the tip!&nbsp; I was trying to figure out why the HTML went all crazy&nbsp;on me like that.

6.&nbsp;I asked God, and he didn't answer.&nbsp; I asked God all the time as a kid, and I received no response.&nbsp; I seek the truth, but I shall seek for truth in my own ways, on my own path.&nbsp; Thanks for the welcome!

7. I'll browse the entire site if no one minds.&nbsp; I know I'm limited to just the non-Christian forums for posting (though&nbsp;I wish there were a Creative Writing forum for the non-Christians), and that rule&nbsp;doesn't bother me.&nbsp; The Bible function at the top of the page is rather useful (or I should say, will be useful when I take my Christianity I course next semester).&nbsp; I can't find my copy of the Bible for the life of me (I think I lost it during the move), and anyways it's 200 miles away from here.

8. If you're willing to learn about Agnosticism, it's quite simple.&nbsp; It's basically a stance people take when they admit they do not know for sure whether or not there is an all-powerful God.&nbsp; An Agnostic must admit that he or she does not know.&nbsp; That's all an Agnostic is:&nbsp;one who admits&nbsp;he or she does not know.&nbsp; And there's nothing wrong with that, IMO.&nbsp; That's why life is a&nbsp;lesson.&nbsp; I'm not looking to leap into any faith-based belief system.&nbsp; As a Philosophy / Religion major, it would be more beneficial if I were to remain detached from any belief system that would hinder my understanding in other areas of religion (i.e. "That can't be right since it isn't in the Bible" &amp; "If Allah existed, yeah... but Allah doesn't exist because God does" &amp; "The invisible guy&nbsp;I pray to can beat up the invisible guy you pray to").&nbsp; Those are just extremist examples.&nbsp;

9.&nbsp;Thanks for the compliment.&nbsp; I try to be as clear and concise as possible when I post on forums like this.&nbsp; I'll need all the luck I can get with my line-up of classes!&nbsp; Agnosticism isn't very hard to understand, and I don't see why you don't understand it.&nbsp;. . were you meaning you don't agree with it?&nbsp; I'll leave the question open for you to answer without going further.&nbsp; But if you want to learn more about it, I'm a willing teacher.

Thanks for the offer of jumping back into Christianity, but believe me, I'm happy and content with my feet planted right where they are presently.&nbsp; I don't go jumping around without first getting a good understanding&nbsp;of the terrain.&nbsp; And I speak in metaphor.

Upvote 0

AlabamaMan

A writer changing the world one word at a time.
Jan 7, 2003
Tijuana, Mexico
Visit site
✟45,139.00
Country
Mexico
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Kathreftis, I was just saying in my opinion I don't understand how someone can look at everything around us, including our own human body and not see that there is a God...I just did not come out and say it like that, so you think I was being rude and inconsiderate about your opinion. I need some of that luck to with my classes! yikes!

Upvote 0

Kathreftis

Feb 23, 2003
Midwestern United States
Visit site
✟7,617.00
Faith
Humanist
No no. I didn't view your opinion as offensive at all. I was just confused as to what you meant when you said that you didn't understand where Agnostics come from -- that statement could mean a number of things. And instead of assuming further on what you really meant, I left it for you to answer. I didn't want to run the risk of assuming something false about your opinion. It wouldn't be fair to either of us, ya know?

Upvote 0