A Sad Day for Many

E

Episcoboi

I know this isn't exactly an "Anglican" thing, but for me as both an Anglican and a Puerto Rican, I though I would share my feelings with you all. In the news today, it showed that Puerto Rico has passed a non-binding referendum by 61.5% to seek statehood and become the 51st state of the USA. While this may not seem major, if this happens, I feel, like many of us Puerto Ricans will lose our unique identity. While the island is a US territory, it is also a separate state and a separate people. To become a state, we will lose that unique Latino identity, sooner or later. Many will say that this may not happen, but we only have to see the culture and language loss of French Louisianna and other former Spanish colonies that have become part of the US. While a small proportion will always maintain their unique culture and language. Statehood will almost invariably assimilation. I'm deeply saddened by this. Stateside Ricans see the island as a mother land (well most of us) and hold a special place in our hearts for our unique cultural heritage. I'm so scared it will be lost.

ContraMundum

Messianic Jewish Christian
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I know this isn't exactly an "Anglican" thing, but for me as both an Anglican and a Puerto Rican, I though I would share my feelings with you all. In the news today, it showed that Puerto Rico has passed a non-binding referendum by 61.5% to seek statehood and become the 51st state of the USA. While this may not seem major, if this happens, I feel, like many of us Puerto Ricans will lose our unique identity. While the island is a US territory, it is also a separate state and a separate people. To become a state, we will lose that unique Latino identity, sooner or later. Many will say that this may not happen, but we only have to see the culture and language loss of French Louisianna and other former Spanish colonies that have become part of the US. While a small proportion will always maintain their unique culture and language. Statehood will almost invariably assimilation. I'm deeply saddened by this. Stateside Ricans see the island as a mother land (well most of us) and hold a special place in our hearts for our unique cultural heritage. I'm so scared it will be lost.

Wow...very interesting...and so politically incorrect in the age of multiculturalism where we all have to accept each other and live together. I suspect stateside Anglos felt the same way at some time about PR'ns. I suspect that your fears will not be realized, so relax and don't lose sleep over this. Places have a way of retaining their good points. FWIW, a relative of mine visited PR recently and was pleasantly surprised to find a small but thriving Jewish community there. I hope they don't worry you.

Upvote 0
E

Episcoboi

This isn't about racism or anti-semitism, as one poster seems to suggest. I embrace multiculturalism and am a proud American. Don't read into what I wrote what isn't there. I'm simply saying that, as a state, much of the uniqueness of Puerto Rico will quickly be lost and will become a minority part of the island itself. All we have to do is look at history to see this is true. Cornwall, Wales, Ireland, Scottland, etc. Where, while there may be a small renaissance in various Celtic cultures, it is small...and was (and in the case of Scotland is) struggling to survive.

I'm not, as one poster seems to suggest, denying multiculturalism or the need to "live together".

Upvote 0

Adam Warlock

Feb 7, 2011
✟14,279.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
This isn't about racism or anti-semitism, as one poster seems to suggest. I embrace multiculturalism and am a proud American. Don't read into what I wrote what isn't there. I'm simply saying that, as a state, much of the uniqueness of Puerto Rico will quickly be lost and will become a minority part of the island itself. All we have to do is look at history to see this is true. Cornwall, Wales, Ireland, Scottland, etc. Where, while there may be a small renaissance in various Celtic cultures, it is small...and was (and in the case of Scotland is) struggling to survive.

I'm not, as one poster seems to suggest, denying multiculturalism or the need to "live together".
I know what you mean. The "melting pot" tends to homogenize everything, and it's sad to see cultural treasures disappear. People always say that "it happens," or "embrace change," etc...but some things are worth preserving. I really hope that Puerto Ricans can maintain their culture and distinctives. It seems like many ordinary Americans don't always realize why those things are so important.

Upvote 0
Oct 25, 2012
✟7,665.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I feel for your distress Episcoboi. However, I must say with confidence, knowing many Puerto Ricans and your indomitable spirit, I doubt that your culture is going to "disappear" any time soon. :)

From where I see it, 61% voted for it on the ballot, but as I remember 52% of Puerto Ricans already live on the mainland to begin with. I'm not sure if the ballots included these people as well or not, but there does seem to be a definite move towards unification with the greater United States.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

Well, it's a long way from done. In fact, I don't think this vote means very much, although it's a bit higher than I would have expected.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RadixLecti

Mar 14, 2006
✟16,213.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single

So what you're saying is basically that you're afraid that too many people who come from other cultures and too many people who speak other languages will move to your country. And how is that not racist?

When you talk about your fear of cultural assimilation, losing your language, and losing your ethnic identity because you will have to associate with more people from another culture how are you any different from Americans who say that they are afraid of Mexican immigration because of the influence of the Spanish language and the impact on American culture?

Why is it ok for people from Puerto Rico to say something like this, but it's not ok for someone from Kansas to complain about how Latin American immigration is changing their community?

The idea that people in Puerto Rico are going to stop speaking Spanish once it's a state and no longer a territory doesn't really make much sense. Half of my family moved from Spain (via Mexico) to northern New Mexico over 350 years ago and we STILL SPEAK SPANISH.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Cjwinnit

Advocatus Diaboli (Retired)
Jun 28, 2004
England.
✟18,928.00
Faith
Anglican
So what you're saying is basically that you're afraid that too many people who come from other cultures and too many people who speak other languages will move to your country. And how is that not racist?

You forgot the new rules of life - everyone's a racist and no-one is allowed to call their culture special to them.

Beige uniformity for everyone!

Upvote 0
E

Episcoboi

When you talk about your fear of cultural assimilation, losing your language, and losing your ethnic identity because you will have to associate with more people from another culture how are you any different from Americans who say that they are afraid of Mexican immigration because of the influence of the Spanish language and the impact on American culture?

Why is it ok for people from Puerto Rico to say something like this, but it's not ok for someone from Kansas to complain about how Latin American immigration is changing their community?

The idea that people in Puerto Rico are going to stop speaking Spanish once it's a state and no longer a territory doesn't really make much sense. Half of my family moved from Spain (via Mexico) to northern New Mexico over 350 years ago and we STILL SPEAK SPANISH.

It has nothing to do with racism at all or people moving to the island. People can move there now, and there are a lot of people moving there all the time. It is not that. I'm fine with people moving to the island, most of us are. What I'm talking about is that Puerto Rico, if a state, would become part of the American 'meting pot' which, as someone else has pointed out, tends to homogenization. It is not racism to fear for the loss of ones cultural identity. Nor does worry about the island becoming a state mean that I don't embrace people of any and every culture, ethnicity, etc. moving to the island. I'm scratching my head trying to figure out where you are getting that I ever said this. :( As others have pointed out, it will most likely not happen. As I read more and more articles, it seems unlikely that Puerto Rico will become a state, but please stop accusing me of being racist for caring about my people's cultural survival. Anyone who knows me on a personal level knows that I'm not racist at all and that I embrace multiculturalism. You are obviously not reading my posts, and if you are, you are reading way more into them than what is there in the words as written.

I wasn't even talking about immigration to the island. Where are you getting this stuff? There is a large population of people from other areas of Latin America already on the island. That is a wonderful thing. I think it enriches the island.

And, as far as the worry about culture loss and language loss not being a concern...You've obviously never been to Louisianna, where the Cajun French language and the Louisianna Creole languages are now minority languages heading toward endangered status. You've obviously never been to Brittany where Breton continues to decline in the face of French Nationalist policy, or Scotland where the Gaelic language speakers now represent about only 1% of the population, or even Ireland, where Irish is now used daily by a shrinking minority of people in the Gaeltachts. Look at the many Germanic languages that are slowly disappearing because of national policies. Have you ever heard of languages like Allemanisch, Frisian, Romansch, Arromanian? How about Tlingit, Haida, Apache, etc. All of which are declining or near defunct due to either national policies or assimilation.

It is pretty well established that immigrants' descendants, by about the 3rd generation, cease (in the majority) to use the language of their ancestors in most contexts and after the 3rd generation, most do not have any working knowledge of the language at all. That is my concern. Not people moving to the island and enriching it with their own cultures. It is about what statehood and the very likely consequent assimilation would mean.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Anna Scott

May 29, 2009
Texas
✟21,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Episcoboi,

Ignore posters who criticize your concerns. I understand what you are saying; and there is nothing "racist" or "discriminatory" about wanting to preserve your heritage.

Peace and blessings,
Anna

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Frankly, the whole discussion moved rapidly to get way off the topic, which started out to be about the passage of a non-binding vote in P.R. that won't affect the prospects of Puerto Rican statehood one bit. There have been a number of such votes over the years and nothing changed.

Upvote 0
E

Episcoboi

Frankly, the whole discussion moved rapidly to get way off the topic, which started out to be about the passage of a non-binding vote in P.R. that won't affect the prospects of Puerto Rican statehood one bit. There have been a number of such votes over the years and nothing changed.

That's true, but this one was just worrisome as this is the first time, even by a small margin, the popular vote reflected a push toward statehood. However, after I read further articles, it seems there was some confusion on the ballot and a few irregularities. The referendum does seem like it will go nowhere.

Upvote 0