Visit site
✟35,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I was reading through Paul's second epistle to Timothy tonight when this statement jumped out at me:

"He has saved us and called us to a holy life—not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time, but it has now been revealed through the appearing of our Savior, Christ Jesus."

—2 Timothy 1:9-10b, NIV

What do you folks think are the doctrinal/soteriological implications of the bolded and underlined statement above? Does this teach justification from eternity (different from eternal justification)?

What say ye?

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I was reading through Paul's second epistle to Timothy tonight when this statement jumped out at me:

"He has saved us and called us to a holy life—not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time, but it has now been revealed through the appearing of our Savior, Christ Jesus."

What do you folks think are the doctrinal/soteriological implications of the bolded and underlined statement above? Does this teach justification from eternity (different from eternal justification)?

What say ye?
It is one of the most clear passages that teach that there was a covenant made in Heaven before God ever spoke this world into existence. Yes it clearly teaches justification from eternity. When understood in the light of Psalm 5:5 where we are told that God hates all workers of iniquity we must conclude that either there was a time when God hated us or we were justified from eternity in Christ.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

What say ye?

I would not say that being called is the same as answering the call or that being given something is the same as receiving it.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,424.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Justification from eternity is considered to be a doctrine outside of the Reformed Confessions. Understood. I still believe it is biblical nonetheless. To my surprise I found an interesting twist, a different way to approach the doctrine that may settle the uneasiness that surrounds this dreaded doctrine. It seems Thomas Goodwin believed we are justified in our federal head from eternity by virtue of our surety’s promise and justified in time personally by faith.

Beeke and Jones explain Goodwin’s position in three points:
  1. Immanent in God towards us, as his Eternal love set and passed upon us, out of which He chose us, and designed this and all blessings to us;
  2. Transient, in Christ done for us; in all He did or suffered representing for us, and in our stead; or
  3. Applicatory, wrought in and upon us, in the endowing us with all those blessings by the Spirit; as calling, justification, sanctification, glorification.
“It is important to note that immanent works take place in eternity; transient works have in this context reference to work of impetration, (the part of salvation done by Christ as mediator) done in time; and God’s applicatory acts, which are existentially experienced, compete the process of redemption.” (Beeke & Jones, A Puritan Theology: Doctrine for Life. page 135)

A change that the authors of the Savoy Declaration made to the Westminster Confession of Faith reflects the dynamics of Goodwin’s position on this point, though one should be careful not to read too much into the change, because Owen clearly sought to distance himself from any form of justification from eternity, Chapter 11.4 of the Westminster Confession reads: ‘God did, from all eternity, decree to justify the elect; and Christ did, in the fullness of time, die for their sins, and rise again for their justification; nevertheless they are not justified until the Holy Spirit doth, in due time actually apply Christ unto them.’ The Confession rejects a form of eternal justification that would make existential faith merely the realization or manifestation of what is already true. However, the Savoy Declaration adds a significant adverb to this statement, making it read like this: ‘God did from all eternity decree to justify all the elect, and Christ did in the fullness of time die for their sins, and raise again for their justification: nevertheless, they are not justified personally, until the Holy Spirit doth in due time actually apply Christ unto them’ (11.4, emphasis added). By adding ‘personally’ to 11.4, the Congregationalists, no doubt influenced by Goodwin, still reject justification from eternity, but leave open the possibility for Goodwin to hold that the elect are eternity justified in their Head, though not personally. (Beeke & Jones, A Puritan Theology: Doctrine for Life. page 137)

I have yet to read Goodwin to any great extent but he’s approach seems to make good(win) sense.

Particular Baptists of the 17th century followed the language of the Savoy and left the word personally in Chapter 11.4. I cannot help but wonder if any of the Baptists who framed and or signed the 1689 believed in justification from eternity.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Upvote 0

TaylorSexton

1689 London Baptist Confession of Faith
Jan 16, 2014
Mundelein, IL
Visit site
✟35,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I would not say that being called is the same as answering the call or that being given something is the same as receiving it.

A couple of thoughts:

1) The "calling" here does not appear to be the same "call" that is described in, say, Romans 8:30. The calling here says specifically what it is: a calling to a holy life, not the effectual call that is presented in Romans 8:30.

2) My concern here is not the calling, but the fact that the grace the text says is the cause of our salvation is given to us "before time began."

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,424.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Gospel justification is an act of the gracious will of God, by which the elect are constituted completely and immutably just, or righteous, in Christ Jesus, by the imputation of his righteousness to their persons. Union with the glorious Mediator is the basis upon which it rests; as no man is justified who is not united to him, so no man is unjustified who is united to him. We have no authority whatever in the Holy Scriptures, to say either that a person who is not in him is righteous, or that one who is in him is unrighteous : it is in him that all the seed of Israel are justified ; because in him they have righteousness.

Job Hupton, THOUGHTS UPON THE DATE OF JUSTIFICATION

Upvote 0