Virginia
✟69,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
As 1watchman implied... a lot of Churches, maybe even most, have a liturgical structure, even if it is not recognized as such, when they go through the same basic things each week. e.g. A prayer, singing, testimonies, a word, announcements, and a prayer to close or variations on the theme.

The thing to watch out for is... what happens if the Lord interrupts or... perhaps more importantly... can the Lord interrupt? Can the Holy Spirit step into the midst and blow away any preconcieved ideas of what should be happening or how things should be done to meet and touch people in a way that is going to change them into what God has for His Church? Periodically, in diverse places, this is what happens. Some might call it a revival.

Liturgy can, for some, become a really meaningful way to come to worship and God can often speak through elements within that service. The other side of the coin is that it can also be a way for people to opt out of meeting with the Lord and just feel ok about themselves. After all, they have gone to church, they've sat through the pomp and ceremony bit so now they must be considered righteous... or something like that. It sort of comes down to where people are in they're relationship with God, I expect.
In addition to what Mark said, the liturgy has its origins in Judaism. One thing that people seem to forget is that until the 1800s, literacy was rare. In Christ's era, maybe only 5% of people could read. Even in Jewish Palestine, people might be taught to read the Torah but even that would be limited. So liturgical worship (or work of the people, leitourgia ‘public service, worship of the gods) is how you teach the faith and worship all at once. Songs are repeated so that people can sing them at home. For example, the oldest extant hymn is O Gladsome Light, which dates back to the 2nd century. I sang this every evening in seminary for one year so it is ingrained in my mind.

O Light gladsome of the holy glory of the Immortal Father, the Heavenly, the Holy, the Blessed, O Jesus Christ, having come upon the setting of the sun, having seen the light of the evening, we praise the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit: God. Worthy it is at all times to praise Thee in joyful voices, O Son of God, Giver of Life, for which the world glorifies Thee.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟938,281.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Liturgy tells the Christian story throughout the church's liturgical year. We hear prophesy, the good news, Christ's sacrifice, the joy of resurrection, the hope of salvation, the redemption of sins, and the way of The Way. Following the lectionary, we hear much of the Bible repeated in cycles. Having come to a liturgical faith practice late in life, I must say I greatly prefer it over what a Pastor thinks I should hear about. I think it also offers more breadth of focus than less structured worship styles which can become too narrow if not careful.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟753,951.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Do you ever get tired of saying the Lord's Prayer, one of the Creeds (Apostolic/Nicene), singing the Gloria (in some churches this occurs after reciting a creed), singing the Doxology (usually after the offering has been passed), "passing the peace", reciting a corporate confession of sin, and/or even taking Communion every week? To me, repeated use of these worship elements can get too ritualistic--overlooking the purpose for doing these things.
Realize this thread is from 2018 but it has been revived.

To answer the question: “Nope”.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟827,313.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

IoanC

Oct 9, 2022
Ploiesti, Prahova
Visit site
✟29,183.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
The evil one can distract you and make you feel tired, even blaspheme or get bored. Yet, on the other hand, the evil one is responsible for too much religion, formalism, etc. As always, when we are faced with extremes, we choose "The Royal Path/middle of the road" and God's Grace is with us.

Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟215,243.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The church I attend w/ family has a liturgy like OP. But it does not seem overly liturgical, like just going thru the motions. There are elements that are more ‘free.’ I try to pour my whole heart into the ‘liturgical’ sections’ & try not to worry if the majority are just doing it ritually.

The church I attend w/ buddies is not ‘liturgical’ but it still has a set pattern. Where do you draw the line between ‘liturgical’ & ‘not liturgical’?

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟776,805.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The church I attend w/ buddies is not ‘liturgical’ but it still has a set pattern. Where do you draw the line between ‘liturgical’ & ‘not liturgical’?
I honestly think that there are very few truly non-liturgical churches, in a broad sense. Certainly some of the Quaker churches are truly non-liturgical in all sense of the category.

In reality even non-liturgical churches have a set liturgy, even if they make it up. You know the one, upbeat song, upbeat song, solemn song, introduction by pastor or worship leader, upbeat song, sermon, upbeat song, dismissal. It's the same liturgy every week, the same rhythm.

That said, when we talk of "liturgical churches" we are usually talking about more Traditional churches with a liturgical tradition that may (but does not have to) also follow the common lectionary. The non-liturgical idea is almost exclusive to Protestant traditions. In general the Anglican communion, Lutheran traditions, Catholic Church (Eastern and Western), Orthodox (Eastern, Oriental), some Reformed, and other "high" churches are liturgical. However, there are also "low" church Anglicans and others that would still qualify.

Reactions: DragonFox91
Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟215,243.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I honestly think that there are very few truly non-liturgical churches, in a broad sense. Certainly some of the Quaker churches are truly non-liturgical in all sense of the category.

In reality even non-liturgical churches have a set liturgy, even if they make it up. You know the one, upbeat song, upbeat song, solemn song, introduction by pastor or worship leader, upbeat song, sermon, upbeat song, dismissal. It's the same liturgy every week, the same rhythm.

That said, when we talk of "liturgical churches" we are usually talking about more Traditional churches with a liturgical tradition that may (but does not have to) also follow the common lectionary. The non-liturgical idea is almost exclusive to Protestant traditions. In general the Anglican communion, Lutheran traditions, Catholic Church (Eastern and Western), Orthodox (Eastern, Oriental), some Reformed, and other "high" churches are liturgical. However, there are also "low" church Anglicans and others that would still qualify.
Right, the "liturgical" kind I attend is non-liturgical according to Anglican / Lutheran / Catholic / Orthodox, but still meets the requirements OP laid out & considers itself liturgical, so thought it was worth sharing. It's so confusing.

Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟827,313.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
The church I attend w/ family has a liturgy like OP. But it does not seem overly liturgical, like just going thru the motions. There are elements that are more ‘free.’ I try to pour my whole heart into the ‘liturgical’ sections’ & try not to worry if the majority are just doing it ritually.

When I speak of liturgy/liturgical I do so with "Historic" liturgical practices: that is with a Celebrant leading and the congregation and or choir responding. May or may not have Deacons and or acolytes and wearing vestments, simple or ornate.

Liturgical:
1689806273401.png

Not Liturgical:
1689806415184.png

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟241,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Do you ever get tired of saying the Lord's Prayer, one of the Creeds (Apostolic/Nicene), singing the Gloria (in some churches this occurs after reciting a creed), singing the Doxology (usually after the offering has been passed), "passing the peace", reciting a corporate confession of sin, and/or even taking Communion every week? To me, repeated use of these worship elements can get too ritualistic--overlooking the purpose for doing these things.
No! Never! I LOVE the liturgy.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟241,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican

Catholics, Orthodox, Anglicans, Episcopalians, and Lutherans are liturgical. (include Oriental Orthodox, Church of the East, Polish National Catholic Church etc)

Methodists, and Presbyterians are "middle ground"/semi-liturgical

Evangelicals, Baptists are totally non-liturgical.

Upvote 0