A question for the guy PK's

Beauty4Ashes

All that I need, is a song in my heart. . .
Feb 5, 2004
Visit site
✟28,095.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

I'm not a PK. But this is a question for guys who grew up or are still growing up as a PK.

How was your relationship with your father? How has that relationship and being a PK affected your relationships today, especially with those of the opposite sex? How has being raised as a PK, and your relationship with your dad(assuming he was the pastor) affected your view on relationships and marriage?

Please discuss. :)

RajunCajun86

Apr 26, 2006
Thibodaux, Louisiana
✟18,690.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
How was your relationship with your father?
it is a struggle, it gets better as i get older but there are still difficulties directly related to him being a pastor (which he has been all my life)
How How has that relationship and being a PK affected your relationships today, especially with those of the opposite sex?
it hasn't negatively, i am just cautious in getting close to people
How has being raised as a PK, and your relationship with your dad(assuming he was the pastor) affected your view on relationships and marriage?
i see a greater importance in the marriage relationship and need for the two to lift each other up
other relatinoships - i am cautious of them and do not easily open up and accept people to come close to me, my family has been "burned" too many times and it has caused me to be weary of people

Upvote 0

aigiqinf

Senior Veteran
Mar 5, 2006
✟14,396.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Hi,

I'm not a PK. But this is a question for guys who grew up or are still growing up as a PK.

How was your relationship with your father? How has that relationship and being a PK affected your relationships today, especially with those of the opposite sex? How has being raised as a PK, and your relationship with your dad(assuming he was the pastor) affected your view on relationships and marriage?

My dad's on leave of abscence from the united methodist church. But I remember when he used to preach. The church members would always pretend to like my brother and I but were just faking it. My dad's last church voted to keep my dad, then the old pastor came back and said he'd have rather shot himself between the eyes than have left. So they told us to leave, but the bishop wouldn't let them have their old pastor back.
My parents have some mental problems so my dad being ordained isn't a really big deal.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟963,547.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
My relationship with my Father was complicated. Sometmes tense, sometimes good and enjoyable.

But, whatever was had nothing to do with him being a minister or me being a PK. It had to do with him being a person and me being a person--both of whom sometimes made mistakes.

Upvote 0

CaliforniaJosiah

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2005
✟206,695.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Hi,

I was (and am) very close to my father. His spirituality, love, humility and evangelical/embracing spirit are something I've always admired and TRIED to bring into my life. He is a gentle, humble, giving man. He's also VERY smart - and I respect that.

On marriage, his impact on me is HUGE. Mom and Dad are the most romantic, affirming, close couple I know - after some 30 years! I grew up with a huge emphasis on mutual respect, humility, and considering others as above ourselves. Sexual issues were always very open and frank (but, of course, private and respected).

I no longer live at home, but I still talk very openly and frankly with my parents (and with my sister who is 25) - our openness is pretty amazing. The conversations are different - Dad tends to want to counsel (hey, he's a pastor), Mom is just mom (gotta love moms!!!!) whose trust in me is often greater than I deserve but it moves me to live up to it. My sis understands me amazingly well and gives me the "female" perspective. She can kick me in the ____ and get away with it. I still keep in touch with them all, although I'm pretty much on my own these days.

BTW, my girlfriend (of nearly two years now) is also a PK. Her experience was the same...

My $0.01

Hugs

- Josiah

Reactions: Heart4Him
Upvote 0

walkin2e

Sep 28, 2004
Blackshear, Georgia, USA
Visit site
✟17,281.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well, I was the only son of a Preacher (I have four sisters). I spent much time with my Dad; times he would come by school, get me out early to go with him as he worked his second job (selling and delivering furniture). We would often run into some people who were downright mean. I remember Daddy telling me, "Son, did you hear the way that man was talking? Hold my hand and let's pray for him".

Sadly, Daddy died when I was just 14.....He was 40.

I remember the church where he had pastored for over five years voted him out after he took a stand for against Santa Claus coming in the church at Christmas (members who hadn't attended in years were called in so they could vote). The church split over that issue, and a new Baptist church was formed...Both churches are still going strong today.

I knew my Daddy and Mama loved each other, and our whole immediate and extended families were loving and close. I was married when I was 20 (My beautiful bride was 18). We had three wonderful children together, but were not attending church regularly. I had been baptised by my Dad when I was 10, but I had never been born again. After 13 years of marriage, my wife left me, and our three children for "greener pastures". I had to be a single parent for over 13 years, but this drove me to my knees and I was born again.

So I learned much from my daddy:

A. The power of prayer
B. Forgiving Others
C. Not judging others
D. To be affectionate with my children..both in hugs and words
E. To love and care for my extended family
F: And more...

Irvin aka walkin2e

Reactions: Heart4Him
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

angels23

Nov 20, 2006
United Arab Emirates
✟7,923.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Hi,

well with my dad it hasn't been all a walk in the park but i apreciate one thing, that he's sensitive and won't really just jump without considering the effects it would have on me, if u asked me again, i would choose to be a pk....ha ha, challenges are inevitable

Upvote 0

angels23

Nov 20, 2006
United Arab Emirates
✟7,923.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Hi,

wonder if pks are supossed to be 110% good kids

Upvote 0

ozbloke

Nov 20, 2006
✟15,907.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Liberals
How has being raised as a PK, and your relationship with your dad(assuming he was the pastor) affected your view on relationships and marriage?

I have struggled for years with the difference between my dad the Priest (Anglican) and my dad my father. I see his struggles in life, and I see the very different life he has behind closed doors than the one that he portrays and it makes it very difficulkt for me to see him as a positive model.

Don't get me wrong, he hasnt done anything horrendous, but he is a human, with human failings. He didnt live up to the pedestal that I expected of him, and that made me resent him when I saw parents of friends who weren't in ministry as better examples of Christians than my own father.

I have never been that close to him, and as such it has also influenced my relationship with God - I don't feel comfortable praying to God as Father becuase it brings back all those thoughts of my own father.

Sorry to pour cold water on the other great (and positive) responses :)

Upvote 0
V

Virginia1989

well my dad is a minster and has been one for as long as i can remember. my relationship has had its ups and downs. we r pretty close. i mean there r things we talk about but somethings i don't feel comfortable sharing with him. my parents marriage has played alarge role in my life. they have been married for 20 years and are more in love today than ever. i hope to one day find someone like my mom. but i mean there are certain things i hate about bein a pk. i am struggling with homosexuality and have been for years. i never felt i could talk to my dad b/c he is very manly and teh minister. yet finally when i had hit rock bottom...abusing drugs and alcohol...i came out to my mom and she helped me come out to my dad. it was the scariest thing and he was quiet for a long time...but now i feel it has helped our relationship. it is awkward when the subject of se comes up b/c we both have dif view points but we respect each other and i am trying to work through this struggle but he and my mom pray for me and my sis daily and they are there if i need them and i love them for that.

Reactions: Beauty4Ashes
Upvote 0

ClementofRome

Spelunking the most ancient caves of Xianity
May 27, 2004
✟5,769.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Well, my Dad became a Pastor one month before I was born and I am the oldest. We always heard that "Preacher's kids are the worst".....so, my brother, sister and I obliged!

As for relationship.....I am closer than I have ever been to him.
Thank God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums