✟4,886.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Hi,

I have a question for Catholics. How do you justify God redeeming everyone and especially Eve, if he simply created a new eve (aka Virgin Mary). What happens to the old Eve? Is that redemption if you simply discard the old one and give another woman the role as the mother of living? I don't want any hard and defined answers if there isn't one. But I just thought it's something to think about. IF you sinned and God simply replaced you, would you term that as redeeming you?

Samantha8824

Jan 16, 2024
Burlingame CA
✟1,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Separated
As a woman who is returning to the Faith, I believe regardless of what Eve did or didn’t do concerning the introduction of “Sin” God’s human creation, her purpose was and is served as a sacrifice and lesson to all mankind. Mary, as we know her to be, also has served and will forever serve her divine purpose to all who seek her grace and favor. Yet, as Paul the Apostle warns us to: “Workout your own salvation with fear and trembling“ Philippians 2:12, the work and the labor of our Salvation is through Jesus Christ. Eve and Mary are the chronological and historical pathways through which God will manifest His Will in our lives. The answer you seek my dear isn’t easy or “simple“ per se. However it’s not impossible to “Ask, Seek & Knock” through prayer and Scripture reading to receive the answers that will make the most sense to you. I say this because in His infinite and incomprehensible Wisdom, God will work with each of us separately to find the answers we seek.
I hope this helps, love.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Welcome to CF! :wave:

This is the Anglican/Episcopal forum. Are you looking for a specifically Anglican answer to how we view Eve and Mary? We tend to vary in our views of Mary (Anglicanism is a big tent), so you'll get a variety of answers here.

chevyontheriver has given you a good answer from a Catholic point of view over in the Catholic forum.

Reactions: Margaret3110
Upvote 0

linux.poet

Electric Nightfall
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2022
Poway
✟204,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican

AMBASSADOR HAT

@Samantha8824, this is the Anglican subforum. Please do not teach in answer to a question when you are of a Baptist faith group, in this particular subforum area.

CF Terms and Rules said:

Congregational Forum Restrictions​

Members who do not truly share the core beliefs and teachings of a specific congregational forum may post in fellowship or ask questions, but they may not teach or debate within the forum.

Since Salvator is posting here, he would like answers from Angelicans and Old Catholics. This should be respected.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
PloverWing, You seem to have an answer from Anglican point of view!
Please do share!

In my conversations with Catholics, and in reading some Catholic writings, I see in Catholic spirituality a sense of Mary acting as the mother of all of us in the church. I'm happy for those who find their prayer life spiritually nourished by that image, and they would certainly be welcome in my Episcopal church, but that is not how I view Mary. I don't look to her as my spiritual mother, or as the church's spiritual mother, which means I don't really see her as a replacement Eve.

Here is some of how I do see Mary: She is one of a handful of people in the Bible -- and one of the only women we're told about -- who receives a specific call from God to carry out a mission on God's behalf. Her call is much like that of the Old Testament prophets, with the angel Gabriel appearing directly to her. Like Moses and Isaiah, she says "yes" to God's call. But her call is to an action, rather than to words: she is called to be the Theotokos, the God-bearer, the person in whose body the Incarnation begins to happen, and the person charged with teaching the newly-born Incarnation of God how to become an adult human being.

Nobody is discarded. God knows us all by name and loves us all, from the first humans to Mary to right now.

Upvote 0

Samantha8824

Jan 16, 2024
Burlingame CA
✟1,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Separated
Good morning Salvator. Just want to wish you a very blessed and successful day and victorious week ahead. Hopefully no one will have an “issue“ with this simple and sincere sentiment of friendship. Many blessings to you and your family

Upvote 0

Salvator Mundi

Believes the Abom.of.Desol. is Ayodhya Temple
Jan 26, 2024
Gauhati
✟4,886.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
This sub-forum mentioned old catholics, so I posted my query here.

Riley G, do share your answer!

My thought experiments are even more weirder which I won't type them here... (Sophia and all)
I'll be happy to answer this question in OBOB if you are interested. Here you can find some Anglican responses :)

God bless

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
This sub-forum mentioned old catholics, so I posted my query here.

Riley G, do share your answer!

My thought experiments are even more weirder which I won't type them here... (Sophia and all)
I am not Old Catholic, I am Roman Catholic. If you want to post in OBOB, I will share my views. This is an Anglican sub-forum.

God bless

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Maybe the OP isn't aware of what the Old Catholic Church is.

The Old Catholic Church separated from the Roman Catholic Church during the First Vatican Council. They reject papal infallibility, the Jesuits, and other things. Two groups exist: The Union of Utrecht and the Union of Scranton. They are in full communion with some Anglican Churches.

see here for more info:

Upvote 0