have mercy on me
Site Supporter
Jan 21, 2005
✟56,796.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
How is that reconciled with the ban on married clergy? I understand that a priest and Deacon do not have the same Liturgical function, but they are still clergy. I'm sure there is a good reason, I'm just wondering why.

Also if a Deacon's wife passed away, would it be possible for him to be consecrated to the priesthood?

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
How is that reconciled with the ban on married clergy? I understand that a priest and Deacon do not have the same Liturgical function, but they are still clergy. I'm sure there is a good reason, I'm just wondering why.

Also if a Deacon's wife passed away, would it be possible for him to be consecrated to the priesthood?

Mandated celibacy is only for those entering the priesthood, not deacons.

Also, that (t)radition can be changed.

Jim

Upvote 0

Rebekka

meow meow meow meow meow meow
Oct 25, 2006
✟34,375.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Yes.

Also, you don't even have to be a married deacon first. A married lay man can become priest after the death of his wife. Of course then he is no longer married, and will be celibate.

Upvote 0

BillH

Be not afraid!
Apr 3, 2005
Columbia, South Carolina, USA
✟27,958.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Well, one needs to be precise when talking about a "ban" on married clergy. It's a long-standing discipline in the Roman Catholic Church that priests should be celibate, but it is not church dogma. That is, clerical celibacy is the rule, but it is not something seen as essential to the faith.

Therefore, because it is a rule and not a dogma, it can be modified if it is seen to be of genuine benefit to the faithful. Circa 1970, it was decided that men who wished to be ordained solely as deacons but not seek higher clerical orders (i.e. "permanent deacons") could have the discipline of celibacy relaxed. In short, for permanent deacons, the discipline is similar to the Eastern Churches -- married men can be ordained, but ordained men cannot get married.

It's worth noting that, in certain very exceptional cases, the discipline of celibacy can even be relaxed for the priesthood -- mainly in the case of clergy from other Christian communities who convert to Catholicism. These exceptions are very rare (they have to be approved personally by the Pope, and I doubt that there's more than a few dozen of them) but the fact that exceptions do exist show that the rule can be flexible if absolutely necessary.

Hope that this helps!

Upvote 0

YourBrotherInChrist

Jan 20, 2006
East of the Mississippi
✟875.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
From the Directory for the Ministry and Life of Permanent Deacons:

5. The specific vocation to the permanent Diaconate presupposes the stability of this Order. Hence ordination to the Priesthood of non-married or widowed deacons must always be a very rare exception, and only for special and grave reasons. The decision of admission to the Order of Presbyters rests with the diocesan bishop, unless impediments exist which are reserved to the Holy See.(42) Given the exceptional nature of such cases, the diocesan bishop should consult the Congregation for Catholic Education with regard to the intellectual and theological preparation of the candidate, and also the Congregation for the Clergy concerning the programme of priestly formation and the aptitude of the candidate to the priestly ministry.

Upvote 0

YourBrotherInChrist

Jan 20, 2006
East of the Mississippi
✟875.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It's worth noting that, in certain very exceptional cases, the discipline of celibacy can even be relaxed for the priesthood -- mainly in the case of clergy from other Christian communities who convert to Catholicism. These exceptions are very rare (they have to be approved personally by the Pope, and I doubt that there's more than a few dozen of them) but the fact that exceptions do exist show that the rule can be flexible if absolutely necessary.
This website places the number at "over seventy".

Upvote 0

Greg the byzantine

have mercy on me
Site Supporter
Jan 21, 2005
✟56,796.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Well, one needs to be precise when talking about a "ban" on married clergy. It's a long-standing discipline in the Roman Catholic Church that priests should be celibate, but it is not church dogma. That is, clerical celibacy is the rule, but it is not something seen as essential to the faith.

Therefore, because it is a rule and not a dogma, it can be modified if it is seen to be of genuine benefit to the faithful. Circa 1970, it was decided that men who wished to be ordained solely as deacons but not seek higher clerical orders (i.e. "permanent deacons") could have the discipline of celibacy relaxed. In short, for permanent deacons, the discipline is similar to the Eastern Churches -- married men can be ordained, but ordained men cannot get married.

Hope that this helps!
Ah OK I get it. Celibacy is relaxed for permanent deacons because they enter the diaconate with the intention of remaining a deacon for life.

Is the office of deacon widespread? What I mean to say do most parishes have a deacon?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, United States
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Is the office of deacon widespread? What I mean to say do most parishes have a deacon?

Never even heard of a permanent deacon before Vatican II. (All priests transitioned from offices of--I think--porter, lector, deacon to ordination before then.) Even after Vatican II, only one parish that I attended in the 90's had a permanent deacon attached to it for awhile before he "retired". It's now been over ten years since there has been a permanent deacon attached to this parish (or any parish nearby.)

Upvote 0

Tonks

No longer here
Site Supporter
Aug 15, 2005
Heading home...
✟49,042.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Politics
US-Libertarian
Ah OK I get it. Celibacy is relaxed for permanent deacons because they enter the diaconate with the intention of remaining a deacon for life.

you'll generally find them at large churches / cathedrals (where, properly, they - not the priest - proclaim the gospel) but at smaller (ie: regular, town-sized) congregations it is a bit more of a rarity.

at least that has been my experience on both the east and west coasts...

Upvote 0
S

SpiritualAntiseptic

Just a quick overview-
The permanent diaconate was restored after Vatican II. In order for a diocese to have deacons, the program must be approved by the bishop. Thus, the existence of deacons has been slow going, at least in the United States. There are probably still quite a few places that do not have them.

Deacons go through an educational program (basically meeting on weekends and doing stuff at home). Early on, deacons were rushed through and did this for a few years. In some places the process is now taking 5-6 years.

In some dioceses, there are very high numbers of deacons. However, they are generally stationed with their home parish. Deacons can not be moved around like priests- their job and family comes first. In some parishes, especially large ones, you may find 2, 3 or 4 deacons. Rural areas often don't have as much of a need for them anyways- and getting them the education needed is also difficult as compared to city guys.

Deacons are generally retired men who have free time to give to their parish. However, some younger (40s, 50s) men have taken up the task and even work within parishes as staff members- getting paid.

Upvote 0

JoabAnias

Steward of proportionality- I Cor 13:1, 1 Tim 3:15
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Here is some info on the trend.

I have met 4 deacons in the last few years, one who serves two parishes who I knew as a friend and since a child before he was ordained, another who now is retired and managing a retreat house and another one (friend) who is currently in formation and other from a parish near here that I don't know very well yet. They seem more commonly found where there is a shortage of priests. The ones I know are all married. Two of them are Chiropractors, One forest ranger (retired) and Deacon Al, who I have known since a child is retired and supported by his wife so he can devote, more than, full time to the Church on part time pay. Not sure if you were aware but all priests go through a deacon stage before becoming a priest.

These sites should have all the answers.

http://usccb.org/cclv/http://www.usccb.org/vocations/statistics.shtml

http://usccb.org/deacon/

http://usccb.org/deacon/DeaconDirectory.pdf (231 pgs.)

Here are some hard stats:

Number of Diocesan Priests Going Up [Zenit 2009-05-07]
Newest Edition of Statistical Yearbook Released.

The number of permanent deacons saw a marked increase from 2000 to 2007, with 29% more, bringing their number to 35,942.

Reprinted from “THE CARA REPORT” Summer 1998; Vol. 4, No. 1"
In 1965 there were 0

1975 - 898

1985 - 7,838

1995 - 11,452

1998 - 12,247

2007 - 35,942 (Zenit link above, also reference to Statistical Yearbook).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JoabAnias

Steward of proportionality- I Cor 13:1, 1 Tim 3:15
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Just a quick overview-
The permanent diaconate was restored after Vatican II. In order for a diocese to have deacons, the program must be approved by the bishop. Thus, the existence of deacons has been slow going, at least in the United States. There are probably still quite a few places that do not have them.

Deacons go through an educational program (basically meeting on weekends and doing stuff at home). Early on, deacons were rushed through and did this for a few years. In some places the process is now taking 5-6 years.

In some dioceses, there are very high numbers of deacons. However, they are generally stationed with their home parish. Deacons can not be moved around like priests- their job and family comes first. In some parishes, especially large ones, you may find 2, 3 or 4 deacons. Rural areas often don't have as much of a need for them anyways- and getting them the education needed is also difficult as compared to city guys.

Deacons are generally retired men who have free time to give to their parish. However, some younger (40s, 50s) men have taken up the task and even work within parishes as staff members- getting paid.

Two that I know (well the first one for sure) had to drive 200 miles one way to classes 3 days a week for 4 years. I don't know how he did it!

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Back in 1998, I went through the twelve week discernment program for the diaconate, in my dioceses. It was grueling, but very rewarding. We met two nights per week, with Mass before class. Classes ran from 7 to 9:30 or 10 PM. One Sunday per month we had special meetings, generly involving prayer and Scripture.
The classes involved the history of the deacons within the Church, and various aspect of the diaconate were presented, by deacons and their wives, to help us get a better feel what life would be like, living as a deacon.

The historical part was interesting. Deacons in the early Church, actually had more power, political power that is, than a priest. They reported directly to the Bishop, as they do today. As a result, they were the eyes and ears of the Bishop. Priest who were out of line, were often reported to the Bishop by the deacon. As a result, there was resentment from the presbyters towards the deacons, which actually lead the way to suspending the ministry until very recently.

Those who entered training after the twelve week discernment, trained for 5 years before ordination. Out of the 25 men who entered discernment with me, only 4 ended up as deacons. Three of those 4 are now retired.

Deacons can be married, but if they become widowed, must remain unmarried.

Deacons can preach, Baptize, distribute communion at will, and conduct communion services.

The majority of deacons are not paid, but in my dioceses, there are about five, who are full time and receive a salary.

The hours required of a deacon in my dioceses vary, but its about 15 hours per week.

The order of priorities stressed by the director of vocations for deacons is,
God, family, job, ministry.

There are various ministries for deacons. Most serve in parishes. Others serve as part of the hospital Chaplin's team, or in prison ministry.

For me, the training schedule was too demanding for me. God wanted me to do other things that were more in accord with my work and lifestyle.

So, I became a Secular Order Discalced Carmelite.

I have no regrets and saw the wisdom of God leading me away from becoming a deacon.

It takes a special man to be one.

Jim

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.