Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
Okay so I was busy talking with one of my neighbors today and according to him Amish people can be political. I'm sort of wondering how though since newspapers pretty much have gone out of style and all of our news comes from technology. Does anybody know how the Amish get into politics?

Note: This topic is not meant to turn into a political debate.

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I've seen Amish pull a gas-powered hay bailer with a horse. They have their ways to get around their ways. As we all do.

I have seen the same. Much depends on the local bishop. The local Amish use rubber rimmed wheels but an hour away they use pneumatic tires.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟962,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Lots of Amish in my area have cell phones, ostensibly used for work matters. I've read that the thing with electricity, phones, and the like isn't the modernity, but that their wired nature connects them to the world. Generators and cell phones without wires...no problem.

Upvote 0

April_Rose

Jul 4, 2020
Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
Lots of Amish in my area have cell phones, ostensibly used for work matters. I've read that the thing with electricity, phones, and the like isn't the modernity, but that their wired nature connects them to the world. Generators and cell phones without wires...no problem.

Isn't that more like Mennonites though?

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,656.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

At least for some the thing about phones is mainly that they barge in on you, not that they are modern or electrical. Going far back some would have a phone out in a box away from the house. Outgoing and appointment calls only. Later some had phones go directly to a recording device. It would not surprise me if in some cases with the ringer disabled.

From our view, especially when not looked at carefully, they may all seem the same. They are not.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Isn't that more like Mennonites though?

The Mennonites cover a wide range from almost indistinguishable from the Amish to almost fully modern except for their manner of dress. Amish farmsteads do not have electrical service but there are several sawmills in my area that are fully modern including their heavy vehicles.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,614.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The Mennonites cover a wide range from almost indistinguishable from the Amish to almost fully modern except for their manner of dress

Old order Mennonites have been buying up land around here. You're right, they are like Amish lite, but stil austere. They have been paying cash for land and houses, which tells me they're doing something right. Two or three families will move in, and really get things done.

One of the farms sells meat (cured ham and sausage) out of a cooler at the front of their drive. They have a box to leave your money. All around good people. I hope more move into this area.

Reactions: Rajni
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,242,108.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
At least for some the thing about phones is mainly that they barge in on you, not that they are modern or electrical. Going far back some would have a phone out in a box away from the house. Outgoing and appointment calls only. Later some had phones go directly to a recording device. It would not surprise me if in some cases with the ringer disabled.
This approach to phones sounds a lot like mine. My phone is set to either "Do Not Disturb" and/or "Airplane Mode" almost constantly, unless I'm expecting an incoming communication. And the outgoing/appointment-only approach, with incoming calls going directly to voicemail ... I totally get that.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
The Amish aren't monolithic, as such each community is going to do things perhaps a little bit differently from the next community over. And so the Amish relationship to technology should not be viewed that they are inherently "anti-technology"; instead it's more complicated and nuanced. How complicated and nuanced I couldn't say, I'm not near enough informed to talk about it. Only that it is a lot more complicated and nuanced than the stereotypes we usually have of them.

-CryptoLutheran

• Agree
Reactions: RushMAN
Upvote 0