Visit site
✟25,959.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My mother is Catholic and my father is a lapsed Greek Orthodox. I was raised Catholic, but we always celebrated cultural Greek holidays, ie exchanged small gifts on Epiphany, held a traditional Greek Easter dinner on Greek Easter, in addition to Roman Catholic holidays. While dad no longer attends church of any kind, we still maintain the traditional family dinner. One thing that I have always wondered about was the red eggs We go around the dinner table and crack each others' eggs. The one who has an intact egg remaining has good luck for the year. Where does this tradition come from? Do other people play this game? Thanks!
kamikat

Julio

Dec 21, 2004
✟8,245.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The custom of having red eggs blessed on Pascha comes from the tradition that St Mary Magdalen brought an egg to Emperor Tiberius to explain to him the resurrection of the dead. He said that it would be as impossible for someone to rise form the dead as for that egg she had in her hands to turn red. Of course, the egg at one turned bright red. This is why she's always depicted in the icons holding a red egg, and why we bless them on the Day of Resurrection.

The traditional game that involves hitting them against each other for one of them to crack is a reminder of the breaking open of Christ's tomb at the Resurrection. This why the one whose egg cracks says, "Christ is risen!" (Christos Anesti!), and the other person answers, "Indeed He is risen!" (Alithos anesti!).

I hope this helps!

Upvote 0

Julio

Dec 21, 2004
✟8,245.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Konstantinos said:
I just asked my Grandmother (99 God bless her) about it. She says It is done for Good Luck. Iam Greek dont be Mistaken by the flag ( Is is Istanbul or Constantinople?) I have Lost for the past 4 Paschas though :( Konstantinos. :D

Then you ought to play with me; I'm ALWAYS the one who says "Alithos anesti". Even when I play against little kids. :sorry:

Upvote 0

Xpycoctomos

Aug 15, 2004
Midwest
✟13,419.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Is is Istanbul or Constantinople?

Clearly Constantinople.

But seriously, as an Orthodox, I always refer to it as Cosntantinople and forget that this is just (now) OUR name for it when referring to it in the context of the Church. Without thinking I am pretty sure if someone said "Quick, what's the biggest city in Turkey?" I would respond back with Constantinople. Not even out of protest, you're just "trained" as an Orthodox to refer to it that way. I prefer it this way though ;)

John

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Xpycoctomos said:
Clearly Constantinople.

But seriously, as an Orthodox, I always refer to it as Cosntantinople and forget that this is just (now) OUR name for it when referring to it in the context of the Church. Without thinking I am pretty sure if someone said "Quick, what's the biggest city in Turkey?" I would respond back with Constantinople. Not even out of protest, you're just "trained" as an Orthodox to refer to it that way. I prefer it this way though ;)

John

I agree.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Xpycoctomos

Aug 15, 2004
Midwest
✟13,419.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm not too much into the game, but the kids are so I play it with them. There's nothing really to it. You both have (red) hard-boiled eggs. both of you take the pointy ends of the eggs and smack the two ends against eachother. Only one will crush in why the other stays intact and, so the game goes, the one that is intact in the end wins... wins a... place in the "My egg didn't break" Hall of Fame in the Orthodox Church... yeah :sorry:

Then you just keep playing with that same egg until or unless your egg breaks.

It's kind of like the wishbone thing. It's just a game. No religious significance to it.

Please anyone, fill in the gaps or correct me where I've mistaken.

John

Upvote 0

kamikat

my love is bigger than a cadillac
Apr 22, 2005
Visit site
✟25,959.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Xpycoctomos said:
Clearly Constantinople.

But seriously, as an Orthodox, I always refer to it as Cosntantinople. Not even out of protest, you're just "trained" as an Orthodox to refer to it that way. I prefer it this way though ;)

John

You don't even have to be Orthodox to refer to it as Constantinople. My dad and Popou always refered to it as Constantinople. Then it was quickly followed by something like "those dirty Turks", then they'd spit on the ground.
kamikat

Upvote 0

Xpycoctomos

Aug 15, 2004
Midwest
✟13,419.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Then it was quickly followed by something like "those dirty Turks", then they'd spit on the ground.
kamikat

Oh, well, I guess I wouldn't feel comfortable saying that. lol As I said... I really don't say it on purpose out of protest. It just naturally comes out Constantinople. I mean, I fully realize that legally it is called Istanbul and nothing I am going to do will or should change that. That's just how history is. We stole the Native American's Land... it was wrong, we have a marred history becasue of it bla bla bla.. but that's just reality now. Same with Constantinople. It is truly instambul even though in my heart it will always be Constantinople. :)

John

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.