Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Most priests will recognize this composite exchange between a benevolent non-Catholic and a priest. Confusion about the Incarnation is at its root. The Word of God is not disembodied; the Word we proclaim takes flesh in the Church.

Isn’t the claim that the Catholic Church is “the one true Church” arrogant?

Jesus says, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” (Jn. 14:6) Jesus founded His Church on the rock of Peter (cf. Mt. 16:18) Why would anyone belong to any religion if he didn’t think his belief included the fullness of saving truth?

So are only Catholics saved?

The Catholic faith is a reliable roadmap to salvation. Catholics proclaim Jesus, His life, His laws, and His Church. In the mystery of His providence, God’s grace works outside His visible ecclesial structures, but He prefers that His Word take flesh in the Sacraments. St. Paul warns, “For if I preach the gospel, that gives me no ground for boasting. For necessity is laid upon me. Woe to me if I do not preach the gospel!” (1 Cor. 9:16)

I know I’m saved because I was “born again.”

Catholics are born again in Baptism. Jesus redeems us and we encounter the risen Lord in the Sacraments. His Word directs us to salvation. Salvation comes with a lifetime of cooperation with God’s grace and can be lost by unrepented mortal sin.

I don’t follow the traditions of men, I’m a Bible-believing Christian.

Continued below.