Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The 86-year-old Pope does not currently have any international trips on his official schedule, but he recently made a 4,000-mile journey to Mongolia and visited the French city of Marseille.

Pope Francis, who is known as “the Pope of the peripheries,” has suggested the possibility of traveling to somewhere no pope has gone before — the South Pole.

In a new interview published on Oct. 17, the Pope said that he plans to visit his native Argentina, adding: “Somebody said that if I go to Argentina, I should stop at Rio Gallegos, then head to the South Pole, land in Melbourne, and visit New Zealand.”

“It would be a rather long journey,” he joked.

The 86-year-old Pope does not currently have any international trips on his official schedule, but he recently made a 4,000-mile journey to Mongolia and visited the French city of Marseille.

Pope Francis would not be the first religious leader to visit Antarctica. Russian Orthodox Patriarch Kirill visited an Antarctic research station — and walked with penguins — in 2016 as part of a trip to Latin America, which included a historic meeting with Pope Francis in Cuba.

Antarctica is home to a handful of Catholic chapels, mostly within Argentina’s territorial claims on the continent. Argentine Jesuit Father Felipe Lleida offered the first Catholic Mass in Antarctica on Feb. 20, 1946, in the Stella Maris chapel of Argentina’s Orcadas Antarctic Base.

Continued below.

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟757,789.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
We've only had 4 papal visits in Australia (1970, 1986, 1995, 2008) while New Zealand has had just one (1986). Pope Paul VI in 1970, John Paul II in 1986 and 1995, and Benedict in 2008.

Pope John Paul II sure got around while he was here -

“Today I am learning how truly vast your country is – from Melbourne to Darwin, and from here to Alice Springs and Adelaide – all in the same day,” Pope John Paul II proclaimed.
Melbourne to Darwin is 3750 kilometres; Darwin to Alice Springs 1301 kilometres; Alice Springs to Adelaide 1330 kilometres - all in one day. I bet he didn't travel sardine class like the rest of us.

Any time Pope Francis wants to swing by he's welcome. If he's tired of having to please everybody all the time he can always stop off in Antarctica and shake hands with a few penguins.

Upvote 0