Wandering Herd
✟8,251.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
You know HAW - this is reminding me of something that happened with my son when he was about 4. He would spike a fever - but otherwise didn't appear sick.

It ended up that he had pneumonia - with no other symptoms except for the fever.

When we put her to bed she had no fever. We checked her symptoms on webmd and they match up with a common cold. So i went in to fill her vaporizer and that's when i noticed her and her bed were soaking wet, and she was clammy. That's when we started watching her fever spike. Now this morning she has no voice, and still looks pale. She is sucking down pedialite like it's going out of style. I called tricare and they said it will be almost 30 days before i can get her in to see her dr. But i told them if her fever spikes again i'm taking her to the ER and if they don't like to go pound sand.

Upvote 0
G

GratefulGrandma

Sins are like stealing, adultery....

Joy,

Here's the definition of the greek word for sin.
  1. to be without a share in
  2. to miss the mark
  3. to err, be mistaken
  4. to miss or wander from the path of uprightness and honour, to do or go wrong
  5. to wander from the law of God, violate God's law, sin
Maybe this will help in understanding TW's post.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Joyandpeace

Senior Veteran
Oct 29, 2005
Baton Rouge, LA
✟10,630.00
Faith
Christian
My job is the relentless pursuit of who God has made me to be. Anything else I do is sin and I need to repent of it.

To me this sounds like if I am not consciously pursuing who God made me to be then I am sinning.

I am here and work and just doing what I need to do to get the job done - I'm not thinking of pursuing who God made me to be as I do this day to day stuff - is that sinning?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TenderWarrior1

Fighting The Three Headed Dragon
Nov 11, 2005
Washington State
✟1,611.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
To me this sounds like if I am not consciously pursuing who God made me to be then I am sinning.

I am here and work and just doing what I need to do to get the job done - I'm not thinking of pursuing who God made me to be as I do this day to day stuff - is that sinning?

What do you think He would say?

I think it depends upon what you settle for. It's like the difference between focusing on the provider rather than the provision.

I search my heart all the time and ask myself if my choices in life are based on what I want to do or what I think I need to do to be 'safe', 'comfortable' and 'happy', or if I am passionately pursuinig Him and what He wants to do in my heart and my life?

Life is not all about me - it is about Him and the journey He has for me and my willingness to allow Him to transform me into what I need to be to complete it. Refusing to allow Him to do that (because I am too busy providing for my own needs) is the same as telling Him I don't trust Him with my life.

Upvote 0

Joyandpeace

Senior Veteran
Oct 29, 2005
Baton Rouge, LA
✟10,630.00
Faith
Christian
Refusing to allow Him to do that (because I am too busy providing for my own needs) is the same as telling Him I don't trust Him with my life.

I don't think so. He gave us the responsibility to take care of ourselves and to work from almost the very beginning - some tended the field and some tended the flock. Jesus' step-father was a carpenter. Paul worked and supported himself so he could minister and seek God more fully.

I don't think doing the things we need to do to support ourselves - while not consciously pursuing Him while doing it - is sinning.

Upvote 0

TenderWarrior1

Fighting The Three Headed Dragon
Nov 11, 2005
Washington State
✟1,611.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Paul worked and supported himself so he could minister and seek God more fully.

And that's my point... he did it so that he could be what God called him to be. First things first... his first priority was to submit to God's will in ALL things. If he had been doing it from the flesh, and his motivations had been self-centered, he would have been sinning. Our jobs are not a means to an end... for the one who wants to follow God intimately and daily, they are only our current assignment. God is the one who provides for us. Jesus made it perfectly clear not to worry about tomorrow... or be concerned with material gain. As his disciples, he wants us to walk in faith, trusting him to open doors when and where he leads us. If we are following him and working in service to him without undue concern for our own gain, then we will grow into all that he has called us to be. As Paul said, "I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want." - and - "Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you." I think too often we lose sight of that and make the focus of much of our lives about taking care of ourselves.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.