✟4,598.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Howdy!

So, I have a completely non-serious question for all of you.

I've heard tales here and there about people feeling funky on their wedding days, so at least I know that I'm not alone. lol On my wedding day, I was in such a state of nerves, odd committment phobe, and excitement that I thought I was going to throw up all over myself. *laughs*

Anybody else here get themselves so worked up?

Well, I finally hear the music start and I make my way out of my private powder room at the chapel, and down the staircase leading into the waiting masses. My dad is at the bottom of the stairs, and while I'm still two steps up, he holds his hand out for mine. :eek: Eek! To those of you who don't know, don't do that! *laughs* So, I'm holding my flowers in one hand and my dress in the other, and there is no graceful way to .....ignore my dad. lol So, since he wouldn't look as pretty carrying my flowers, I give him the hand that was holding my dress. Oh yeah, you guessed it. On the last step my petticoat got caught up under my foot, and I tripped on my own dress. Heeheehee..... Now, alll I can say is PRAISE THE LORD (!!) that no one actually saw my ankle twist or saw the death grip that I strangled my dad's poor fingers with. *giggles* My husband didn't even know that I had tripped until I told him and started laughing about how embarrassing it could have been if I'd have fallen on my bum.

Ladies, share with me. Am I the only goober to have a near accident? Did any of you actually fall or do something equally mortifying, that you can laugh about now? Guys, did you do anything silly....like pass out, drop the ring, or get nearly divorced for smooshing wedding cake in your bride's face?

:D

Jenna

Senior Veteran
Jun 13, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
✟4,598.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
*chuckles* Oh, and I forgot to add that when we were decorating the hall earlier that morning, I was taking the cake server out of it's packaging......and accidentally stabbed myself in the middle of my palm. Oh my goodness, you would have thought I was 5 years old again, the way everyone came running over to make sure I was ok. Heeheehee...... Thankfully I didn't need stitches, but it sure did smart. We chose not to use that offending cake server after all. :D It's a good thing that I had my husband there to cut the cake with me later. Who knows, I could have lost a finger or something without his help.

Upvote 0

FroggyJK

Mar 1, 2004
Arizona
Visit site
✟235.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I typicaly stress out over everything and anything. I was fully expecting to be a nervous reck on my wedding day. I went to bed the night before with all kinds of worries bouncing around in my head. But then I woke up in the morning so calm. I think I just decided to focus on my husband-to-be and not worry about anything else..... and that's what I did.

Of corse there were many, many, MANY things that did not go according to plan (mostly because of my mom :sigh: ), but none of it really mattered to me. The only thing that I cared about was getting up to the altar and becoming his wife! I don't think I really even noticed how many people were there. :blush:

To this day it still cracks me up to think about our emotions on that day. My husband (who is normally the very level headed strong one) was on the verge of breaking out in tears during the whole thing. Me (the nut case over emotional one) was standing there with such a calm confidence, smiling from ear to ear.

:EDIT:............ so, it was funky for me to be so calm! :D

Upvote 0

IslandBreeze

Caribbean Queen
Sep 2, 2002
✟18,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I didn't have anything too traumatic happen, but I was up at 3 a.m. that morning after tossing and turning for 4 hours. Believe it or not, after our 10 a.m. ceremony, we were to our hotel by 4 p.m. and asleep by six! The resort we stayed at that night had banana splits at 8:30 (part of the reason my husband wanted to stay there). We slept right through the banana splits!

Upvote 0

Jenna

Senior Veteran
Jun 13, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
✟4,598.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Awww.... you missed banana splits?!? Eek! lol

I think it is funny how I always had these romantic ideas in my head as a younger girlie, and then when it came time for my wedding night, oy. *laughs* We were so tired from dancing around like ninnies with our family members that we changed into something more comfortable and fell asleep on the couch together, waiting for my parents to bring misc. stuff from the reception over. Apparently they re-thought the idea of coming over on our wedding night, and after startling awake, we climbed into bed fully clothed and snuggled in. *laughs* I didn't miss any banana splits, but I was kind of bummed that I couldn't go back and sneak a little more of the mashed potatoes. *giggles, blushing* We found a lovely old polish woman who cooked for us for such a fair price, and the food was just so good. Besides, I have a funky obsession with potatoes. lol

Upvote 0

Jengi

Jan 31, 2004
✟8,129.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I really wasn't nervous. I couldn't believe how calm I was. I kept saying I think I sould be nervous. I just tried to remember that at the end of the day, we would be married and that was the most important thing.

The only "near catastrophy" that happened was that the weather that weekend was terrible. There were major storms on Friday afternoon between the town where I go married and where most of the wedding party was coming from so between the weather and the wrecks on the interstate because of the weather, many people didn't make it to the rehersal on time. One bridesmaid didn't make it until halfway through dinner.

Then on Saturday about 2 hours before the wedding, the storm warning horns that signal sever weather started going off about every 20 minutes. (Really really loud and for about a minute at a time) I was so worried that there was going to be a tornado or something during the wedding. It pretty much went off without a hitch though.

Upvote 0

sarah marie

Apr 25, 2004
✟498.00
Faith
Christian
Wedding day jitters....hmmm, let's see. Does freaking out that noone had a couple bobby pins count? I couldn't secure my veil. Luckily, my bridemaids were very gracious and just let the moment pass without comment.

Other than that I was very calm and ready to enjoy the day. My jitters ended as soon as I was dressed and ready to go. My husband looked pretty relaxed until the wedding ceremony started. After that he had this blank, empty look on his face....kinda like a dear caught in headlights. He managed to respond at the appropriate times. Later, he didn't remember the ceremony at all. Thank goodness we have the video as proof to him that he wasn't the victim of an alien abduction.

I was even calm a week before the wedding, when the park we were getting married at flooded. It had been raining hard for a couple weeks. I heard it on the news, but wasn't worried at all. My husband and I did all of our planning knowing that God would provide and he did. I got a lot of worried calls and several people questioned whether it was wise not to have a backup plan. By the day of the wedding the waters had receded, the park was completely dry and the weather was beautiful (over 90 degrees).

Just before we were to arrive home to our new apartment (new to me, anyway), our friends had slipped in and set up candles throughout the place along with some other romantic decorations. We got home and the place was hotter than [insert your favorite hotter than idiom here]. We quickly blew all of them out and opened all the windows.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SirKenin

Contributor
Jun 26, 2003
from the deepest inner mind to the outer limits
✟9,370.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I smooshed wedding cake in my brides face.. My parents didn't particularly care for it, but we thought it was funny :D

I wasn't nervous at all on my wedding day. I felt at the time it was something I wanted to do. However, now that I look back on it maybe it wasn't such a good idea. Hindsight....

Upvote 0

Jenna

Senior Veteran
Jun 13, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
✟4,598.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I made a point to talk with Michael about the cake thing way before it came time for our wedding. lol I know that lots of people have a grand amount of fun with it, but I just couldn't bring myself to do that. I finally felt pretty, after so many negative comments about getting pregnant, and Michael knew that I wanted to feel like a princess on my special day. *smiles dreamily* Besides, I looked at his sweet baby-face and the big smile that he had for me, and I couldn't think of smearing him. If anything, I wanted to just kiss the icing off his lips. lol

Now the only more negative comment that I recieved about our wedding was that folks in the back couldn't hear us exchange our vows. lol Of course, we weren't too bothered since our immediate families were sitting right up front. We didn't have microphones or anything, and when we spoke our vows, we did it while looking right at one another, not for everyone else's benefit. For one reason or another, that seemed to bother some people, who really wanted to hear what we were saying.....though they could hear the minister anyway. lol Am I the only person who had a hard time getting the words out? It wasn't I didn't or couldn't say them, but I was so clogged with emotion that my throat didn't want to work. I had the man that I loved in front of me, my two sisters for brides maids, and my mom and dad were actually happy together in the front row. There couldn't have been a happier day for me. I was just so completely swamped with love and emotions that I was one big soggy tear waiting to drown everybody. *laughs*

Oh, hey, guys! How did it go with the wedding ring? *laughs* I had to make a point to give Michael my left hand because with all of the excitement and good stress, the poor guy kind of froze and had a hard time remembering which was the proper hand for the occassion. *giggles* And here *I* was worried about doing the same thing. heeheehee....

Upvote 0
E

EmSchmem

I don't remember much of my big day. When I watched the video it was almost like watching someone else's wedding. I was SURE I was going to be a nervous freak and wasn't that bad. I slept pretty well that night before and ate two big meals before hand. Even managed to do my own french manicure without messing things up too bad. The only thing bad that happened is while all us women were in only our undergarments a bunch of guys with a punk band who use the basment of our church for practicing came in b/c they weren't told they couldn't use it that day. So there was all this screaming and running all about and flinging of things.
My vows were WAY to long (like 5 minutes) and I tried to put the ring on his right finger and my family talked the whole time and I wanted to turn around and tell them to shut up I was trying to get married. I didn't. Our wedding started at 2ish (like I said I really don't remember) and we were home by 4:30. We went to McDonald's for breakfast before we left town the next morning and ran into like 15 people from our church who all wondered what we were doing there.
Our honeymoon was horrid. We had some sexual issues, I got my period, I sprained my ankle, and we ended up getting exacuated. We want another one.

Upvote 0

selune

Feb 3, 2004
✟17,896.00
Faith
Protestant
My favorite thing from our wedding day (other than the obvious of being united with my love) was later when we watched the video that was thaken of it. The recorder was set up to the side to record without any assisstance. It was left in the sanctuary for a while after the ceremony because everyone had gone to the great room for the reception. Well the recorder is still running and you hear the minister and the pianist chatting and then the minister says something to the effect of "You know, you can really see those two are in love with eachother. The way they looked at eachother and didn't seem to see anything else." That was so touching, I know I felt that way, but I didn't know it showed. :blush:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Godssongbird

Jun 11, 2004
nj
✟138.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Lets see.. My flowers were late so we had to start the wedding late
the food menu was all wrong .. and as we danced i tripped on my dress and it got torn on the bottom
The honey moon .. we took a wrong road to our cabin in tenn , a mean dog was following our car showing us his teeth
we ran out of gas.. we didnt find our cabin till 10 pm, check in was 4
my husband was sick to his stomache
and at last we both fell asleep on our first night together LOL

Upvote 0

lucypevensie

Not drinking the kool-aid
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2002
WI
✟1,777,202.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was really relaxed on my wedding day--because I forced myself to relax. I must have hypnotised myself. It worked! I slept in, had a long shower and good breakfast. Then it came time for my sister to do my hair (we were at her house). She got me all rollered up and then she got to work on my other sister's hair. I was just chatting and visiting. I put my hand down on the table on top of a bunch of junk to lean over to read something lying on the table. My sister gave me this horrified look, then my mom and sister did too. Then I realized I had placed my hand right on top of a HOT curling iron! I swear I felt no pain until I actually looked at it. My mom rushed me over to the sink and turned on the cool water. I stood for about 15 minutes running water and then started bawling.

Then another weird thing. During the ceremony I kept getting this intense itching on my ankle. I kept scratching it with my other foot whenever it got really irritating. Finally at the reception my curiosity got the better of me and I lifted my dress to look. There was a huge blood spot where I had somehow gouged a big hole in my skin. No idea how that happened. I still have the scar from that.

Upvote 0

lucypevensie

Not drinking the kool-aid
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2002
WI
✟1,777,202.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Oh yeah, my husband forgot my wedding ring in his truck! As were were all standing up front the pastor was praying and my husband whispered to his brother to run out and get the ring-in the suitcase. The thing was, it was actually in the briefcase and it took John some time to figure that out. So before we left the church afterwards they had to pick up all the clothes that had been flung around in the frenzied search for that ring.

Upvote 0

sarah marie

Apr 25, 2004
✟498.00
Faith
Christian
And then there was the honeymoon....

My husband was very sick for a few days. Also, on the last day, after we had packed up the car, he backed up into a big old military vehicle and smashed out the back window of our car. I was several feet away pointing and trying to get his attention. He saw me, but figured he could find out what the fuss was AFTER he had parked...Ooops He does a great job of listening to me now...lol We took that one in stride. He replaced the window himself, when we got home. No big deal.

Upvote 0