Wales
✟351,171.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
This is in response to the attempt at a thread of the laws of science vs the laws of God, and I think that it's an example of a big problem that a lot of people make regarding science. It'll be short and sweet though.

Simply put: science is descriptive, not prescriptive.
Science does not say a thing happens because it HAS TO BE. Science says a thing happens because that's what happens, and that's what the laws of science are. They are descriptions of how the world works based on observation and study.

The best example being the law of physics which says that no two objects can occupy the same space simultaneously. If you've ever seen a car crash, you get a good example of that, or if you're like me and was hit by a car at a young age, you'll know that fact very intimately (according to an observer, I went six feet in the air and eight feet across the ground).

All science does is describe what it sees in the world around us, and then, depending on discipline, it will break what was observed down into various parts to explain exactly how some things happened. Yes, there is a predictive power to it, but that is not the same as going "THOU MUST DO THIS!" as a lot of people seem to think science does. All the predictions do is say "Based on what we've seen, there is a likelihood that following this course of action will result in this outcome."

That's all there is to it.

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,513.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
This is in response to the attempt at a thread of the laws of science vs the laws of God, and I think that it's an example of a big problem that a lot of people make regarding science. It'll be short and sweet though.

Science does not say a thing happens because it HAS TO BE. Science says a thing happens because that's what happens, and that's what the laws of science are. They are descriptions of how the world works based on observation and study.

The best example being the law of physics which says that no two objects can occupy the same space simultaneously. If you've ever seen a car crash, you get a good example of that, or if you're like me and was hit by a car at a young age, you'll know that fact very intimately (according to an observer, I went six feet in the air and eight feet across the ground).

All science does is describe what it sees in the world around us, and then, depending on discipline, it will break what was observed down into various parts to explain exactly how some things happened. Yes, there is a predictive power to it, but that is not the same as going "THOU MUST DO THIS!" as a lot of people seem to think science does. All the predictions do is say "Based on what we've seen, there is a likelihood that following this course of action will result in this outcome."

Yes. And revealed prescriptive laws require religious faith in a revealer for their validity.

Understanding scientific descriptions requires we re-trace the steps of observation and reason, which "merely" requires effort. And so, for instance, the principles of chemistry are the same wherever we go.

Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟455,420.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There are laws in the spiritual realm as well, which instead of scientists, people of God know, and its harder 'to study' than science sometimes, because you need to learn them from God, so people were revealed thing like this, and others try to catch up to them. And they are more important and relevant than any science.
The bible says being spiritual seems crazy to unbelievers and they can't understand. Thats because you need to have the Holy spirit to understand them.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟351,171.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
There are laws in the spiritual realm as well, which instead of scientists, people of God know, and its harder 'to study' than science sometimes, because you need to learn them from God, so people were revealed thing like this, and others try to catch up to them. And they are more important and relevant than any science.
The bible says being spiritual seems crazy to unbelievers and they can't understand. Thats because you need to have the Holy spirit to understand them.

That's got nothing to do with science, and is purely in the realm of personal spirituality and theology.

Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟455,420.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That's got nothing to do with science, and is purely in the realm of personal spirituality and theology.

If God is real and exists, then the next thing you know, is he put in place a way to do things, and that with the same as science, Doing this and that will have consequences, or some effect, and learning that is more important for the well being of people than any science, God created science in the first place, and everything is going to pass away but God stays.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟351,171.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
No, if God is real and exists, then the next thing you know, is he put in place a way to do things, and that with the same as science, Doing this and that will have consequences, or some effect, and learning that is more important for the well being of people than any science, because God created science in the first place, and everything is going to pass away but God stays.

You're just preaching which is against the rules for this sub-forum.

And again, you're perfectly describing what I mean by mistaking the laws from the Bible, the commandments, which are prescriptive, with scientific laws which are descriptive. They are only called the laws of science because they describe the rules of how natural science functions.

Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟455,420.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You're just preaching which is against the rules for this sub-forum.

And again, you're perfectly describing what I mean by mistaking the laws from the Bible, the commandments, which are prescriptive, with scientific laws which are descriptive. They are only called the laws of science because they describe the rules of how natural science functions.

For example the bible says if you sin you die, and this is true, the more evil you are the more dead your soul spiritually is going to be, but people don't know this, they don't even believe we have a soul, something the bible talks about. This is like science, you do this you get this, this if how things are, but my God much more important for life. But people ignore all this stuff.
Atheists etc treat 'preaching' like some annoyance thats needs to be avoided at all costs and rejected, but the truth is not 'preaching' like in that way, it is what it is.

Upvote 0

BeyondET

Earth Treasures
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2018
Virginia
✟153,535.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

How does it happen that you are able to type out your thoughts through computer science?

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟351,171.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
For example the bible says if you sin you die, and this is true, the more evil you are the more dead your soul spiritually is going to be, but people don't know this, they don't even believe we have a soul, something the bible talks about. This is like science, you do this you get this, this if how things are, but my God much more important for life. But people ignore all this stuff.
Atheists etc treat 'preaching' like some annoyance thats needs to be avoided at all costs and rejected, but the truth is not 'preaching' like in that way, it is what it is.

And that's all theological, not scientific. You are describing cause and effect, yes, but purely from a theological stand point, not a scientific standpoint nor even attempting to discuss the OP topic.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BeyondET

Earth Treasures
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2018
Virginia
✟153,535.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Define 'real science' for me.
Do you trust the algorithms of computer science?

You have a real device don't you?

Nuclear reactors is science that is based on natural science God's science who created it.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟351,171.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Do you trust the algorithms of computer science?

You have a real device don't you?

I'm honestly in no mood for games right now. Just say what you want to say and how it relates to what I said in the OP.

Upvote 0

BeyondET

Earth Treasures
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2018
Virginia
✟153,535.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm honestly in no mood for games right now. Just say what you want to say and how it relates to what I said in the OP.
Alot of science is developed from God's creations.

What game is the thread supposed to be

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BeyondET

Earth Treasures
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2018
Virginia
✟153,535.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Alot of science is developed from God's creations.

What game is the thread supposed to be.

Upvote 0

BeyondET

Earth Treasures
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2018
Virginia
✟153,535.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What law of physics says two things can't be in the same place, that makes no sense about you flying from a vehicle. What is it that people are mistaken with that law of gravity
Yes, science is a study of God's creations. AND?

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟351,171.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
What law of physics says two things can't be in the same place, that makes no sense about you flying from a vehicle

Did you actually fully read the OP? Because if you did, you'd clearly understand what was said. And if you don't understand one of the most basic facts of physics, then that's your own problem.

Upvote 0

BeyondET

Earth Treasures
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2018
Virginia
✟153,535.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Did you actually fully read the OP? Because if you did, you'd clearly understand what was said. And if you don't understand one of the most basic facts of physics, then that's your own problem.
Explain it to me, I've read the whole thing, I'm still not seeing a difference between the two.

Upvote 0