Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Oscar I. Delgado was first exposed to the “traditional Latin Mass” when he and his wife were at the University of Chicago.

“I just got hooked,” said Delgado, a former NBC bureau chief and now a film producer. “It was really beautiful. It’s just quiet; it lends itself to a very deep reverence. There was a seriousness that I found and an authenticity that attracted me.”

Now living in Minnesota, Delgado still attends a traditional Latin Mass, also known as the Tridentine Mass. It’s about a 20-minute drive on Sundays.

Compared to other American devotees of this form of the liturgy, he’s fortunate. In some parts of the country, attendees have lost the parish where they had been going, thanks to two-year-old Vatican regulations governing the traditional Mass. Some people now have to drive significantly farther.

But the regulations are being implemented in stricter or looser ways in the U.S., depending on the local bishop. Some bishops, whether because they themselves appreciate the traditional Mass or they recognize its importance for some Catholics, apparently are allowing the situation to continue pretty much as it was. Others, decidedly not so.

Canceling Benedict’s permission​

Continued below.