Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
According to Holy Scripture, you do not praise yourself, true praise is generated from others. (Proverbs 27:2)
As I said, you have to go to the Church for your info and not assume. If you got questions you go to the source.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
As I said, you have to go to the Church for your info and not assume. If you got questions you go to the source.
If there is an appearance of evil, the scripture instructs to abstain from it.

The church tends to not be forthcoming when discussing issues it doesn't want to discuss. This suggestion is not valid.

Upvote 0

Swag365

Dec 25, 2019
USA
✟50,429.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Hello Swag! Thanks for the interesting though slightly cryptic question. My thought would be Matthew chapter 20, the parable of workers in the vineyard. The workers who were hired at nine, at noon and at five all received a denarius. God Bless You :)
Sure, but what about the bonus? If the employer decides to hand out a bonus, would it be just for him to give it to the worker who was hired at nine, or to the worker who was hired at five?

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,677,288.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

The church tends to not be forthcoming when discussing issues it doesn't want to discuss. This suggestion is not valid.
It’s valid. It’s not hard to pick up a catechism and see how our beliefs and practices corresponds with Scripture. It’s all there in black and white.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
It’s valid. It’s not hard to pick up a catechism and see how out beliefs and practices corresponds with Scripture. It’s all there in black and white.
I've read the catechism a number of times. It has also become apparent that not all Catholic Theology is contained in the catechism.

It's like, this is what is said, and something else is practiced.

Upvote 0

Swag365

Dec 25, 2019
USA
✟50,429.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

Well all of Protestantism has the appearance of evil, from my perspective. Look, from your perspective you see evil in Catholicism. I do not see evil in the Catholic faith, and I see evil in Protestantism. So either me or you simply stating things like "If there is evil you must abstain" doesn't really further the discussion . . .

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,640.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sure, but what about the bonus? If the employer decides to hand out a bonus, would it be just for him to give it to the worker who was hired at nine, or to the worker who was hired at five?

Hello Swag. I didn't see a verse in Matthew chapter 20 about 'handing out the bonus'. Which verse are you basing that on, please.

In the parable the vineyard owner is chided by some of the workers because they are all paid the same, a denarius. No-one is paid more than anyone else. Kind Regards :)

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Well all of Protestantism has the appearance of evil, from my perspective. Look, from your perspective you see evil in Catholicism. I do not see evil in the Catholic faith, and I see evil in Protestantism. So either me or you simply stating things like "If there is evil you must abstain" doesn't really further the discussion . . .
To be honest, apart from my disagreement with "what to think about mary" my theology isn't very protestant.

it just comes off that way, when I start discussions like this.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,677,288.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've read the catechism a number of times. It has also become apparent that not all Catholic Theology is contained in the catechism.

It's like, this is what is said, and something else is practiced.
No you are wrong. If you read the catechism you’d know it is forbidden to worship anything or anybody other than God. So forgive me for not believing that you actually know what you are talking about. But I’ll leave you to it. This is a useless conversation based on a falsehood from the get go. Good luck. :wave:

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
No you are wrong. If you read the catechism you’d know it is forbidden to worship anything or anybody other than God. So forgive me for not believing that you actually know what you are talking about. But I’ll leave you to it. This is a useless conversation based on a falsehood from the get go. Good luck. :wave:
You seemed to be getting tired of the discussion anyway, I'll let you go take a nap.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Swag365

Dec 25, 2019
USA
✟50,429.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I recall posting something in agreement to the hypostatic agreement earlier, perhaps you are getting tired of the discussion. We can agree to disagree, or agree that we disagree. Whatever works.
Well by writing things like "Mary was the mother of Jesus's humanity" and "Jesus is 100% human because Mary, Jesus is 100% God because God." you appear to indicate a sharp distinction between divine and human aspects of the incarnation. This is Nestorian. It is in direct contradiction to the Hypostatic Union.

Upvote 0

Swag365

Dec 25, 2019
USA
✟50,429.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Well regardless of what the Church formally teaches, Catholics "really" worship Mary anyway just because I say so.

• Haha
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,677,288.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You seemed to be getting tired of the discussion anyway, I'll let you go take a nap.
I don’t need a nap. I need more stimulating conversation based on facts. As I said, good luck! :wave:

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Well by writing things like "Mary was the mother of Jesus's humanity" and "Jesus is 100% human because Mary, Jesus is 100% God because God." you appear to indicate a sharp distinction between divine and human aspects of the incarnation. This is Nestorian. It is in direct contradiction to the Hypostatic Union.
Oh is it? How about that. This wouldn't have happened if Mary was not being idolized.

This illustrates how wording things properly is important.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,677,288.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well regardless of what the Church formally teaches, Catholics "really" worship Mary anyway just because I say so.
If I bow to your greatness in admiration of your knowledge would you consider it idolatry? ;)

• Winner
Reactions: Swag365
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Swag365

Dec 25, 2019
USA
✟50,429.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Hello Swag. I didn't see a verse in Matthew chapter 20 about 'handing out the bonus'. Which verse are you basing that on, please.

In the parable the vineyard owner is chided by some of the workers because they are all paid the same, a denarius. No-one is paid more than anyone else. Kind Regards :)
That's funny. The bonus is mentioned right there in the Bible next to the verse about his 401k match.

The question is, is the gift (and reward) of salvation ("going to heaven" if you will), the only reward? I had thought that most Protestants held that there were at least "5 crowns" and other rewards (or some other similar theology) but perhaps you are not one of them?

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,640.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The bonus is mentioned right there in the Bible next to the verse about his 401k match.

I'm sorry, I don't know what you're talking about. Here is the passage in full if you are not familiar with it:

_________

Matthew 20 “For the kingdom of heaven is like a landowner who went out early in the morning to hire workers for his vineyard. 2 He agreed to pay them a denarius for the day and sent them into his vineyard.

3 “About nine in the morning he went out and saw others standing in the marketplace doing nothing. 4 He told them, ‘You also go and work in my vineyard, and I will pay you whatever is right.’ 5 So they went.

“He went out again about noon and about three in the afternoon and did the same thing. 6 About five in the afternoon he went out and found still others standing around. He asked them, ‘Why have you been standing here all day long doing nothing?’

7 “‘Because no one has hired us,’ they answered.

“He said to them, ‘You also go and work in my vineyard.’

8 “When evening came, the owner of the vineyard said to his foreman, ‘Call the workers and pay them their wages, beginning with the last ones hired and going on to the first.’

9 “The workers who were hired about five in the afternoon came and each received a denarius. 10 So when those came who were hired first, they expected to receive more. But each one of them also received a denarius. 11 When they received it, they began to grumble against the landowner. 12 ‘These who were hired last worked only one hour,’ they said, ‘and you have made them equal to us who have borne the burden of the work and the heat of the day.’

13 “But he answered one of them, ‘I am not being unfair to you, friend. Didn’t you agree to work for a denarius? 14 Take your pay and go. I want to give the one who was hired last the same as I gave you. 15 Don’t I have the right to do what I want with my own money? Or are you envious because I am generous?’

16 “So the last will be first, and the first will be last.”

_____

I do not see your claim of a 'bonus' or '401k' in the passage. Kind Regards :)

Upvote 0