Visit site
✟17,092.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
night2day said:
:doh:

Too bad they didn't have Charmin in those days...
True.

"Katie! Katie! Can you bring me Eck's Loci communes adversus Lutherum et alios hostes ecclesiae? It's on my desk in my study! Slip it under the door please!"

Upvote 0

KagomeShuko

Wretched Sinner/Belovèd Child of God/Church Nerd
Sep 6, 2004
Lake Charles, LA
Visit site
✟22,275.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Victrixa

Dear Lord have mercy on me!
Mar 23, 2004
Québec, Canada
✟8,021.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
SLStrohkirch said:
What more image do you need than either a Wooden bench or stone slab with a round hole in it? :cool:

LOL! Well Scott, some people make the trip all the way to Germany to see it!!! I just want to see a picture of it! :D I'm very visual, ya see.... ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SPALATIN

Lifetime friend of Dr. Luther
May 5, 2004
Fort Wayne, Indiana
✟13,351.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Victrixa said:
LOL! Well Scott, some people make the trip all the way to Germany to see it!!! I just want to see a picture of it! :D I'm very visual, ya see.... ;)
Don't know that I would make the trip for that but I might include it on my list of things to see. ;)

Upvote 0

theologia crucis

evangelical apostolic orthodox catholic
Oct 31, 2002
Texas
Visit site
✟8,548.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
My wife sent me a different version of the story, and I busted up when I read it! And how come I just knew Recht would post this great bit of historical information first?! ;)

Germans say they've found Luther's toilet

Chicago Sun-Times

KATE CONNOLLY

WITTENBERG, Germany -- German archeologists say they have discovered the toilet on which Martin Luther wrote the 95 Theses that launched the Protestant Reformation.
Luther frequently alluded to the fact that he suffered from chronic constipation and spent much of his time in contemplation on the toilet.

Experts say they have been certain for years that the 16th century religious leader wrote the groundbreaking Theses while on das klo, as the Germans call it. But they did not know where the object was until they discovered the stone construction after recently stumbling across the remains of an annex of his house in Wittenberg, southwest of Berlin, during plans to plant a garden.

"This is a great find," Stefan Rhein, director of the Luther Memorial Foundation, said. "Particularly because we're talking about someone whose texts we have concentrated on for years, while little attention has been paid to anything three-dimensional and human behind them.

The 450-year-old toilet, which was very advanced for its time, is made out of stone blocks and, unusually, has a seat with a hole. Underneath is a cesspool attached to a primitive drain.

Luther, a professor of biblical theology at Wittenberg University, nailed his 95 Theses to the church door at Wittenberg, attacking the corrupt trade in indulgences. The act led to his excommunication, but he was protected by Frederick II of Saxony and was able to develop and spread his ideas.

Rhein said the foundation would stop at letting the annual 80,000 visitors to Wittenberg sit on the toilet. "There's a point where you have to draw the line," he said.

If I only had wi-fi and a laptop...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.