Leah

2 Corinthians 5:21
May 26, 2005
✟7,700.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is a punch right in the kidneys. At least, it is for me.

R.W. Glenn said:
Something happened the other day that really concerned me. Someone criticized my choice of friends. And that someone was a professing Christian who questioned why I would be friends with a woman who has incorporated crude language into her Twitter handle.

I couldn't help but think of the accusations of the Pharisees that Jesus sums up in Luke 7:34: "The Son of Man has come eating and drinking; and you say, ‘Behold, a gluttonous man, and a drunkard, a friend of tax-gatherers and sinners!’" Far be it from me to make myself analogous to Jesus! Even the thought of it is preposterous. I am the "sinner" that Jesus is friends with. But this doesn't mean the analogy doesn't obtain for the criticism I received.

I wonder how many of us Christians - people serious about the gospel and the Bible and living a life of love - I wonder how many of us have been accused of being a glutton, a drunkard, and a friend of tax-gatherers and sinners?! I think that we're more often accused of being self-righteous, smug, superior, sticklers for the letter of the law than we ever are of being a friend of sinners. What's more, I wonder how many of us spend enough time with people even to develop genuine friendships with those who aren't yet Christians.

I am so glad that Jesus is the friend of sinners. You should be, too. Glad that Jesus is the friend of sinners. Glad that Jesus could be accused of gluttony and drunkenness for spending so much time with those sinners…because if Jesus were only the friend of people like him, we'd all be on our way to hell. And may your gladness in Jesus' friendship with sinners cause you to be the genuine friend of the sinners all around you.

I'm a sinner and so are you. So is everyone in the world. Don't be so quick to push someone away and maybe even judge him/her just because you care more about what others think of you. What matters is what God thinks of you, and its just like Mr. Glenn said, He's the friend of sinners. He doesn't have to be, but He choose to because He wants to. :)

NoelAsa

Senior Veteran
Oct 1, 2010
At Computer
✟23,282.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm a sinner and so are you. So is everyone in the world. Don't be so quick to push someone away and maybe even judge him/her just because you care more about what others think of you. What matters is what God thinks of you, and its just like Mr. Glenn said, He's the friend of sinners. He doesn't have to be, but He choose to because He wants to. :)

Yes, everyone is a sinner and will continue to sin. The good new is Jesus Christ has taken away our sins, the past, present and future ones. Only God is to judge, but it seems to be human nature to do it also. Our judging does not count, only Gods does.

Upvote 0

Leah

2 Corinthians 5:21
May 26, 2005
✟7,700.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, everyone is a sinner and will continue to sin. The good new is Jesus Christ has taken away our sins, the past, present and future ones. Only God is to judge, but it seems to be human nature to do it also. Our judging does not count, only Gods does.

Exactamundo!

And what makes it so right (and a bit scary *gulp*) is because God judges in righteousness! While we tend to look at the outward appearance, God is sure enough looking at our hearts! :bow:

Upvote 0