✟10,591.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
starchild said:
How would Michael Moore giving up his first amendment rights feed and water the people dying in New Orleans?

Wouldn't it be more effective for Homeland Security to allow the Red Cross to do their jobs - rather than people trying to abuse Michael Moore's rights?

And how is it that when we exercise our first amendment rights by calling him an idiot, that somehow equals denying him his first amendment rights? Since when has criticism equaled censorship?

Upvote 0

MSBS

Jul 29, 2002
California
✟10,591.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Smoke Screen said:
He said it, not me! If you'd like to hear what the Mayor said, click on the link to CNN at the bottom of the page. You'll find links on CNN.

New Orleans mayor (Republican) lashes out at feds
Nagin: 'They are spinning and people are dying'

NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana (CNN) -- As his city skidded deeper into chaos, New Orleans' embattled mayor accused federal officials of dragging their feet while people are dying in deplorable conditions.

Mayor Ray Nagin's voice cracked with anger and anguish Thursday night in an interview with New Orleans radio station WWL-AM.

"We're getting reports and calls that [are] breaking my heart from people saying, 'I've been in my attic. I can't take it anymore. The water is up to my neck. I don't think I can hold out.' And that's happening as we speak." (Transcript of radio interview with Nagin)

Nagin said the time has long passed for federal authorities to act on their promises.

"You mean to tell me that a place where you probably have thousands of people that have died and thousands more that are dying every day, that we can't figure out a way to authorize the resources that we need? Come on man," he said.

"I need reinforcements," he pleaded. "I need troops, man. I need 500 buses, man. This is a national disaster. (Hear Nagin's angry demand for more troops -- 1:00)

"I've talked directly with the president," he said. "I've talked to the head of the homeland security. I've talked to everybody under the sun."

Read More:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/02/katrina.nagin/index.html

The thing is, by the time he said this, he knew that the troops were on the way. Is any one else here wondering if he's just trying to save his own ass by blaming the feds? Initial emergency response always happens first at the local and state levels. And with the pictures of all of the city's school buses parked in neat rows and half under water, you have to wonder, why weren't they used to evacuate all those people that had no other means? Maybe I'm being to harsh, but I think the guy has a lot to answer for.

Upvote 0

loribee59

Beautiful hearts and minds makes me swoon! :)
Mar 11, 2003
Keizer, OR
✟23,001.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Borealis said:
The problem with common sense is that it's so uncommon that when someone actually uses it, they're hailed as a genius.

the death of common sense had been grossly underrated.

Upvote 0
H

hoser

quantumspirit said:
First 9/11, after Bu$h cut homeland security funding.

Now New Orleans, after Bu$h cut Army Engineers funding.

Yes, you really smart person. If only President Bush stood there on the gulf coast and blew as hard as he could to push the hurricane in a different direction so as it would not come close to NO. Yes, that damn Bush.

BTW, there was homelad security funding BEFORE 9/11? That is news to me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mutantleader

Jul 7, 2005
✟686.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
Scholar in training said:
I would like to think not.

BTW, the original post lists the mayor of NO as a Republican, but he is a Democrat.
Scholar, you are splitting hairs. My take is he turned Democrat to win the mayoral election. Like many of our psuedo-Republicans, he switched parties, but still has Republican principals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Nagin

The bottom line is our government is ill prepared to handle any significant disaster. I thought after 9/11 they would get their act together. Heaven forbid we have a terrorist attack again. These guys can't seem to distinguish between sitting on their 'donkeys' and mobilizing for a known crisis. . . duh, let's wait until the storm has passed before we prepare to intervene.
This is all probably going to turn out to be Bill Clinton's fault. Seems to be the response to everything negative that has occured during Dubya's five years of service.

Reactions: Smoke Screen
Upvote 0

MaryS

Sep 12, 2004
✟3,195.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
Smoke Screen said:
This doesn't surprise me either. You'd think she'd let the people eat first before she started her PR stunt with the Red Cross. This is rediculous!

Someone has to be pretty far out in left field to want to make Laura Bush look bad when it wasn't even her duty to show up.

If John Kerry or any other Democrat were in the White House, I certainly would not be referring to him or his wife as doing a "PR stunt" just because their timing may seem strange at an event.
:yawn:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Smoke Screen

America Can Do Better!
Jul 10, 2005
Near Seattle
✟10,227.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
MaryS said:
Someone has to be pretty far out in left field to want to make Laura Bush look bad when it wasn't even her duty to show up.

If John Kerry or any other Democrat were in the White House, I certainly would not be referring to him or his wife as doing a "PR stunt" just because their timing may seem strange at an event.
:yawn:

How did you know I played "left field" in high school? LOL!

Upvote 0

Law of Loud

Apparently a Librul Moonbat <[wash my mouth][wa
Aug 31, 2004
Seattle
✟10,493.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Buckeye said:
Give it a rest already!:sleep: :sleep:

Kinda like the bodies floating in the attics. Kinda like the people who've been neck deep in disease-ridden water in their attics for five days now. Kinda like the cops who've been night and day rescuing people. Kinda like the nurses and paramedics who've been working without break in an overwhelming situation. Kinda like the FEMA teams working tirelessly to rescue survivors. Kinda like the engineers who struggled to maintain the water pumps until the pump rooms were too flooded to operate.

Why don't they just give it a rest already? Because people are dying, and significant federal resources were way too slow off the ball.

We need to speak for the dead and the voiceless here.

Upvote 0

Smoke Screen

America Can Do Better!
Jul 10, 2005
Near Seattle
✟10,227.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Editorials, Including Those at Conservative Papers, Rip Bush's Hurricane Response

By E&P Staff

Published: September 02, 2005 12:30 PM ET

NEW YORK Editorials from around the country on Friday -- including at the Bush-friendly Dallas Morning News and The Washington Times -- have, by and large, offered harsh criticism of the official and military response to the disaster in the Gulf Coast. Here's a sampling.

Dallas Morning News

As a federal official in a neatly pressed suit talked to reporters in Washington about "little bumps along the road" in emergency efforts, New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin issued an urgent SOS. The situation near the convention center was chaotic; not enough buses were available to evacuate thousands of survivors, and the streets were littered with the dead.

Moments later, President Bush took center stage and talked at length about the intricacies of energy policy and plans to keep prices stable. Meanwhile, doctors at hospitals called the Associated Press asking to get their urgent message out: We need to be evacuated, we're taking sniper fire, and nobody is in charge.

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001054151

Upvote 0