Arizona
✟1,553.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I came across on the internet a very unusual, spiritual, and old testimony from a young Christian man who was dying, but who was also given a sweeping, clear and rich view of the heaven that he was so soon to enter in upon himself. His name was Andrew Welwood, the son of a Scottish minister and brother of yet another well known minister in their day, but now all gone on to glory. This man Andrew Welwood also inspired to enter the christian ministry himself, but was taken ill with consumption, where he lingered for months upon the very edge of eternity, all the while enjoying enviable and rare foretastes of that heavenly glory. The work is mostly unknown of today, and I don't find very many dates in my 214 p. copy at all which was printed in 1824, but I did find out that it was first printed in 1721, although I don't know exactly when he was born or died. I only typed out one long paragraph for you to read, (if you wish,) as a sample of the work, where you can easily detect that he was both an educated man, the language use of their day, but a real believer who was consumed in glorious spiritual raptures over his imminent translation unto glory.

or, A gospel discovery of EMMANUEL'S LAND"

"...And of the beauty and sweetness wherewith this blessed land is adorned! Earth in its May-clothing, with its various beauties, appeared somewhat delightsome before; but all former apprehensions are swallowed up; all the senses and faculties are lost in the endless maze of infinite varieties of beauties and excellencies. Are not the eyes almost ravished from their proper orbs, by the strong attractive virtue of ravishing objects? Are they not dazzled and confounded? What varieties! What glories! What numberless numbers! Every object is enough to allure unto ravishment: but the conspiration of them all cannot be told. How are the ears charmed with numberless variety of melodious raptures! So that the ears become harmony itself. How do incessant and full gales of odoriferous exhalations perfume and fill with a passing sweetness, not only the brain, but every vein, artery and sinew: that which enters the mouth, every where, surpasseth Ambrosia and Nectar. The circumjacent spirits have so pleasant embraces, as they still refresh the body, that cannot be weary. What shall I say? Am I not nonplussed, here! All things are here in an eminent formal manner. O mighty God, this world is a masterpiece of thy power, wisdom, and goodness indeed; did I never see more of thy ravishing attributes, than what is imprinted on this golden world, should I not be ravished with an eternal rapture? This is a land befitting the inhabitants, all things are ever in their May-clothing, do bloom and flourish with an eternal verdure, seeming, as it were, all to outbrave one another, in wonderful beauty and excellency: what would an earthly paradise appear here? Shall we speak of gold and gems, trampled upon by beasts? Sure the sun in its strength would blush to let forth its rays, on so beautiful a place, the least stone here would look him out of countenance: nothing in the lower world, which is not here; and nothing here, which is to be seen in the lower world. If we speak any thing in earthly idiom, it must be in perfect contradictions; all is covered over with all varieties of beds of lilies, and roses, and dropping sweet-smelling myrrh; every where the vines flourish, the mandrakes send forth and odoriferous exhalation. The pomegranates bud, the grapes and all fruit hang in goodly order; all is overflown with Ambrosia, milk and honey; all is an orchard, all a champaigne field, every place is the sunny side of the hill, and also a pleasant shadow, every place is filled with odoriferous gales; and yet there is nothing but one sweet and endless calm: the winds that blow here are like vital and animal spirits. Are they not these heart-refreshing, and soul-rejoicing breathings of the Spirit of life? All are planted with trees, every one of which doth specifically differ from one another, and bears every month, every hour, every minute, ten thousand kinds of fruits; and every fruit containeth ten thousand qualities; and every quality ten thousand virtues, and every virtue ten thousand delights, and every delight is enough to confound myriads of worlds of men and angels. All things send forth melodious notes, odoriferous perfumes, and what may charm thousands of senses, differing specifically from one another: all things here do more than contain all the virtues and excellencies of sun, moon, and stars. O what every thing is, how inconceivable, and beyond imagination! This world is all things, it is a palace, also it is a glorious and stately city, decked with the glory and comeliness of her builder; whose light is like unto a stone most precious, whose walls are high, and beautified with twelve gates, and at the gates are twelve angels: whose figure is four-square, whose circuit twelve thousand furlongs, and the height of the wall, an hundred forty-four cubits; the building thereof is of jasper, and the city of pure gold, as it were transparent glass. If the foundations thereof be of pearl, the houses, streets and walls of gold, what must the deckings of the houses be? If the ordinary stuff exceed the price of the diamond, who can weigh our most noble jewel of the New Jerusalem? Sure all the excellency of this lower universe would be of no reckoning here; yea, many worlds are not to be valued. Must not this be a glorious and delightsome city, which is immediately enlightened with the uncreated glory of JEHOVAH, and the Lamb? “All the kings of the earth bring in their glory and honour hither:” All other glories and excellencies are swallowed up, and concentrated here: all joys, all pleasures, all contentments, all desires are forever here."

Decide for yourself if you think a dying Christian man would be exaggerating upon his deathbed.
Link for a scanned copy of the work:
Meditations, representing a glimpse ... - Google Books

HisW0rd

Being a mom is God's gift 2 me
Sep 27, 2007
Texas
✟16,881.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Yea he was just dying....I don't understand the scriptures if thats the case. Did the bible ever tell us where we will go when we die? Because all I can remember is what happens in the end. Majority of all the people who were risen in the end it never speaks were the souls or spirits came from. I think he perceived more of the earthly paradise than heaven....I wonder why no one explains what they looked like or etc. I mean are we going to get another fleshly body or a spiritual one?

Upvote 0

GaryP

Apr 28, 2009
✟8,966.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Private
He is speaking of the new heaven and new earth from revelations. Only problem with
the new earth is that the Sun burns out. I myself will stick with the original Heaven.

One of Satan's biggest tricks, Man seeks Heaven and is shown Creation ( the Earth ).
In Revelations you will be offered fruit from the Tree of Life. Before you bite into it.
Think really hard, Have not I heard this story before. Apple anyone.

Upvote 0

JWNEWMAN

Senior Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
✟21,154.00
Faith
Christian
GaryP

Eh, Adam and Eve weren't offered apples.

Also: In the New Earth the light is God. His light doesn't go out.

In the New Earth the light is God:

"Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away." He who was seated on the throne said, "I am making everything new!" Then he said, "Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true." He said to me: "It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To him who is thirsty I will give to drink without cost from the spring of the water of life. He who overcomes will inherit all this, and I will be his God and he will be my son. But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars--their place will be in the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death." One of the seven angels who had the seven bowls full of the seven last plagues came and said to me, "Come, I will show you the bride, the wife of the Lamb." And he carried me away in the Spirit to a mountain great and high, and showed me the Holy City, Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God. It shone with the glory of God, and its brilliance was like that of a very precious jewel, like a jasper, clear as crystal. It had a great, high wall with twelve gates, and with twelve angels at the gates. On the gates were written the names of the twelve tribes of Israel. There were three gates on the east, three on the north, three on the south and three on the west. The wall of the city had twelve foundations, and on them were the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb. The angel who talked with me had a measuring rod of gold to measure the city, its gates and its walls. The city was laid out like a square, as long as it was wide. He measured the city with the rod and found it to be 12,000 stadia in length, and as wide and high as it is long. He measured its wall and it was 144 cubits thick, by man's measurement, which the angel was using. The wall was made of jasper, and the city of pure gold, as pure as glass. The foundations of the city walls were decorated with every kind of precious stone. The first foundation was jasper, the second sapphire, the third chalcedony, the fourth emerald, the fifth sardonyx, the sixth carnelian, the seventh chrysolite, the eighth beryl, the ninth topaz, the tenth chrysoprase, the eleventh jacinth, and the twelfth amethyst. The twelve gates were twelve pearls, each gate made of a single pearl. The great street of the city was of pure gold, like transparent glass. I did not see a temple in the city, because the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are its temple. The city does not need the sun or the moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and the Lamb is its lamp. The nations will walk by its light, and the kings of the earth will bring their splendor into it. On no day will its gates ever be shut, for there will be no night there. The glory and honor of the nations will be brought into it. Nothing impure will ever enter it, nor will anyone who does what is shameful or deceitful, but only those whose names are written in the Lamb's book of life."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hlaltimus

Nov 4, 2005
Arizona
✟1,553.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have also believed for some time now that there will be no suns in the "new heavens", as there never were any suns by God's original creation. God's glory was the original illumination in our universe and not light from any one fixed source. This would be yet another explanation for coal deposits found on Antarctica, as the poles would have then had as much luminary exposure, (and therefore plant life,) as any other place on earth did then.

Speaking of light, lot's and lot's of people who have claimed to have seen angels of God, have sometimes described them as being brightly luminary beings of indescribably glory, unspeakable beauty and tremulous awe. Andrew Welwood claimed to have seen the heavenly Jerusalem, (and I believe that he did,) and that city "does not need the sun" as "JWNEWMAN" quoted from Revelation. How cool!!! Could it be though that even the material substance of which it is constructed is itself permeated by God's glory, so that material and inanimate objects such as buildings, rooms, roadways, water courses, trees and underbrush, etc., are self-illuminating? It says that "the Lamb is it's light" in Rev. 21:23, and that would explain why saints are luminary, as they blissfully remain living temples of God's Spirit throughout eternity, but why would angels also be luminary? I find no where in the scriptures where the angels of God are personally indwelt by His Holy Spirit...only redeemed men and women. Perhaps the light of the Lamb of God, (the glorified Christ,) permeates all common, material objects such as the gold of which it is largely constructed, as that celestial material is semi-transparent??? It is interesting.

Upvote 0