Student at William Jewell
Aug 14, 2003
Visit site
✟16,028.00
Faith
Christian
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Dear Daily Message Readers,[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] [/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']READ: [/FONT][FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Jonah 3[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']BIBLEGATEWAY LINK: [/FONT][FONT='Arial','sans-serif']http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=jonah 3;&version=47; [/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Jonah 3:5 [/FONT][FONT='Arial','sans-serif'](ESV)[/FONT][FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] “The people of Nineveh believed in God, and they declared a fast and put on sackcloth, from the greatest to the least of them. 6When the news reached the king of Nineveh, he got up from his throne, took off his royal robe, put on sackcloth, and sat on ashes.”[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']John 6:60-61,66 [/FONT][FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] When many of his disciples heard it, they said, ‘This is a hard saying; who can listen to it?’ 61 But Jesus, knowing in himself that his disciples were grumbling about this, said to them, ‘Do you take offense at this?’ 66 After this many of his disciples turned back and no longer walked with him.”[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']After Jonah’s faithful and bold proclamation of God’s Law, the king of Nineveh didn’t hesitate to exchange his throne and robe for ashes and sackcloth. The word traveled quickly through the city ahead of Jonah, who perhaps had only made it a third of the way into the ancient megacity. The importance and urgency of the message awakened the conscience of the people to see that they couldn’t take for granted God’s 40 days of mercy. [/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Contrast this to the people who claimed to have faith in Jesus in John 6. The people claimed to believe in Jesus Christ. However, they came short in the evidence bank of turning to Christ wholeheartedly, which is the positive side of repentance. They paid lip-service in their relationship to Jesus Christ, but there was no willingness to follow after Him or walk with Him. [/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Note also in John’s account that many simply left after Jesus’ hard preaching. The others who stayed, including the disciples, complained about the message as well. Perhaps we should remember that when someone leaves a church where the Word is proclaimed with love and boldness that it is not always the pastor’s fault. The offended party is upset with the requirements of God’s Word, not necessarily the pastor himself (1 Sam. 8:7).[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']When the Ninevites saw that the wrath of God was heading their way, they not only believed that God would do what Jonah said He would do, but they changed the orientation of their lives so that they wouldn’t be in the path of His divine anger and wrath. Such a change in direction was evidence that they truly believed God—the essence of saving faith.[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Is your life marked by such a directional change?[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Faith Lesson: [/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Matthew 10:32-33 [/FONT][FONT='Arial','sans-serif']“[/FONT][FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] Whoever, then, acknowledges me before people, I will acknowledge before my Father in heaven. 33 But whoever denies me before people, I will deny him also before my Father in heaven.”[/FONT][FONT='Arial','sans-serif'][/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']In Christ,
Darin Smith[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'][/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']
[/FONT]