A Dangerous Step or being Pragmatic?

Shetlander

Jul 29, 2004
Shetland Isles, UK
Visit site
✟302.00
Faith
Christian
What do you think? I copied this from the CoS website and would welcome serious prayer & debate.

NEWS

Kirk reacts to adoption reforms: "Best interests of the child must be paramount"

Putting Children First is the theme of the Church of Scotland's response to the Scottish Executive’s proposals to reform adoption and fostering in Scotland.

The Kirk's Church and Society Council: "strongly support the principle that the best interests of children are paramount here," and goes on to reaffirm: "the Church's view that the stable environment of care which children need is best provided in the context of marriage."

But, the Kirk adds – and as Cardinal O'Brien has also said – the current system is "failing to meet children's needs." And the Church's response concludes that:
"we would, on balance, support the proposals to allow unmarried or unregistered couples (of different sexes or of the same sex) to adopt jointly."
Although there are many within the Church who see these proposals as undermining marriage by giving equality of status to different relationships, the response notes that the proposals do not give anyone a "right to adopt." Instead, the focus has to be on the most vulnerable children, who are not currently finding families.

The current law effectively turns a blind eye to "gay adoption" by allowing people in a same-sex relationship to adopt individually, and the Kirk argues that a more honest approach may help more children find stability and care, saying: " “While we therefore do not believe that the status of the relationship between adult potential adopters should be an absolute bar to them adopting jointly, we would hope that there would be explicit recognition that no 'right to adopt' is created by the Bill, and that, therefore, the stability and 'enduring nature' of the relationship are appropriately part of a robust selection process which recognises the dangers for children if adoption is not by those in a stable and strong relationship. Similar considerations apply to fostering."

The Church calls for Executive action to encourage more people to become adoptive parents or foster carers, and sees the church itself having a role to play in this. They also call on the Executive, who have often underlined the importance of stable families, to put resources into supporting efforts to help keep families together.

Dramatic changes since the 1979 Adoption Act, mean that only around 20 babies are placed for adoption each year; yet over 6,500 children are in the care of local authorities, often in successive short-term foster care. The 'typical' child seeking adoptive parents is likely to be the victim of family breakdown in some form, scarred by that experience and presenting real challenges for prospective adopters.

In this context, the Church expresses: "broad support for the urgency of finding new solutions which serve the best interests of the vulnerable children for whom at present we seem unable to provide the safe and secure nurture they need.".

Council convener Morag Mylne said: "We welcome and support the emphasis on the best interests of the child. Those interests are served in strong and secure relationships and the love and stability that adoptive parents and foster parents can give to children is invaluable. The needs of the many vulnerable children currently in care are very urgent and we are encouraged that some steps are being taken to meet those needs through these proposals."

Jer

Contributor
Nov 3, 2004
Trondheim, Norway
Visit site
✟14,066.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I'm really wondering when they're going to realise that liberalising the church so it suits the world is not going to work. Then it just means there's no difference. Also why are there never any revivals these days in Scotland? Because the church is ignoring what God is telling us.

Upvote 0

Martin^^

Feb 11, 2005
Scotland
✟8,860.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
The Kirk's Church and Society Council: "strongly support the principle that the best interests of children are paramount here," and goes on to reaffirm: "the Church's view that the stable environment of care which children need is best provided in the context of marriage."

What exactly is the "danger" mentioned in the OP?

As an adoptive parent, I can confirm that there is no "right to adopt" for anyone. The screening process for adopters is very thorough, examining all members of the adoptive family in detail. Indeed, adoption is more strictly regulated than marriage, for which the only requirements are that you are over 16 and not already married!
The view that marriage is the best context to raise children seems to be based on a rather rosy view of marriage. Most marriages are stable environments, but some are virtual war zones, and not a good environment for children.
The quality of people's parenting skills is dependent upon their character and personality. It has nothing to do with the mere possession of a marriage certificate. It also has little to do with a person's sexuality - most kids and parents know nothing of each others sex lives and have little wish to find out!
I know a number of gay men who have children from past relationships with women. As parents, they are a mixed bunch: some do a great job, some are atrocious - but on average they are much the same the straight men I know. However good or bad dads they may be, it is due to the sort of people they are and not their sexual preferences.
Each adoption case is considered on its merits - if we rule out people because of their sexuality or marital status, we are denying children access to adoptive parents who may be well suited to the job.
I know this is a difficult concept for many people, but we need to have open minds if we are to find loving homes for the many children in care.

Upvote 0

Martin^^

Feb 11, 2005
Scotland
✟8,860.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Shetlander said:
Hi Martin,

take on board some of what you've said. The problem is a large proportion of potential, hetro sexual couples are discounted for purely PC reasons. Perhaps we should examine this first?

What kind of 'PC' reasons do you think need to be changed, Shetlander?

Upvote 0

ScottishJohn

Contributor
Feb 3, 2005
Glasgow
✟16,690.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Forgive an off topic rant - need to vent! I'm just wondering who the Kirk thinks is listening when they make these pronouncments! According to New Charge Development's statistics, despite a good 80% of the population of Scotland nominating themselves as CofS, 89% of Scotland is not interested enough in the church to actually attend! So who exactly is supposed to care when an Church which, barring pockets of excellence, has managed to make itself almost totally irrelevant to the society it works within!

As a member and employee of the Church of Scotland I cannot help but stifle a snort when they talk of the wellbeing of others. Anyone who is interested will know that over the last 12months the Church has been reorganising itself, and doing so with the utmost haste disorganisation and stress. Much as I am against elements of 121, like keeping the building for a start, on principle (as it is a black hole for money) I really feel for the staff in 121 who have been waiting to hear if they are valued enough to retain their jobs!

The Church is constantly proving that the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing, and says one thing, while doing another. It SAYS it wants to serve UPAs, but has spent the last year trying to withdraw funding from two very prominent UPA projects. (Here I have to declare my partisanship as I am employed in one of them! ;) ).

I really don't know why we should take anything they say on adoption seriously, nor why they are bothering to make a pronouncement when the whole church is a shambles.

Upvote 0

ScottishJohn

Contributor
Feb 3, 2005
Glasgow
✟16,690.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Buttermilk said:
People outside the good old CoS probably don't know what 121 is John ;)

And that is a good thing! ;)

121 George St - The Churches Head offices in Edinburgh. Owned by the Church, worth millions, and no longer necessary (in fact I would challenge the assertion that such grand premises were ever necessary!)

Upvote 0

Martin^^

Feb 11, 2005
Scotland
✟8,860.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Buttermilk said:
People outside the good old CoS probably don't know what 121 is John ;)

Some of us don't know what a UPA is either ;)

Sorry to hear your project is under threat though. From what you have said about it in the past, it sounds like a very worthwhile project.

Upvote 0

ScottishJohn

Contributor
Feb 3, 2005
Glasgow
✟16,690.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Martin^^ said:
Some of us don't know what a UPA is either ;)

Sorry to hear your project is under threat though. From what you have said about it in the past, it sounds like a very worthwhile project.

Sorry - up to my neck in exclusive terms! UPA is an Urban Priority Area. Basically it is a designation used by churches for inner city areas. The Church of Scotland is in danger of becoming a kind of chaplaincy to the middle classes, the church is declining at a frightening rate in the inner city - and directing more finance towards UPA's is supposed to fix this.

Our project will be fine, I feel very strongly that God has a plan for Church House, he has been using it for over 60 years in the East End of Glasgow, and I am positive that he is not finished with it yet. Gods work will be done in spite of the C of S! ;) (Not that I am bitter about spending the last year justifying my existence! ^_^ )

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums