A Christian needs to embrace suffering

C

Christownsme

There's a good verse in 1 Peter 5:10

But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you.

As a believer in Christ journeys down the road of faith, he starts to encounter suffering. Some will leave the faith here. Others will cling to the Heavenly Father and cry out to Him for relief. Jesus did suffer willingly, but cried out in the Garden of Gethsemene for relief. But by His obedience, we were saved. And by our obedience to learn suffering, we are promised perfection (meaning mending of the past in the Greek), establishment (having a firm foundation in Christ), strengthening (we are able to be ministered to in order to help our infirmities), and it all settles us down (brings us to a place where we are confident and comfortable).

What a great promise!!

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think most people have the idea in their heads that suffering is evil, that somehow, suffering means we are far from God, when in reality, suffering is part of being close to God....ah well, I get myself in a ton of trouble by saying such things...thanks for the thread.

Upvote 0

ecclesasties

Jun 30, 2010
✟8,017.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I think most people have the idea in their heads that suffering is evil, that somehow, suffering means we are far from God, when in reality, suffering is part of being close to God....ah well, I get myself in a ton of trouble by saying such things...thanks for the thread.

It is in times like these that we grow the most in our faith. If all were rosy and sunshinny throughout our lives, what would we gain? How would we grow? Christian life and the earthly life are the same in this respect. It is through trials and tribulations that we learn and grow. Athletics are an excellent example of this. What's the old saying? "no pain, no gain."

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It is in times like these that we grow the most in our faith. If all were rosy and sunshinny throughout our lives, what would we gain? How would we grow? Christian life and the earthly life are the same in this respect. It is through trials and tribulations that we learn and grow. Athletics are an excellent example of this. What's the old saying? "no pain, no gain."
exactly and yet so many seek heaven on earth, thinking that we are already living in the resurrection of the dead....or at least they try to deceive themselves into believing this...

Upvote 0

Andy S. Wright

Hiding In Plain Sight
Jun 6, 2009
Texas
✟11,256.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe of all of the scripture writers, Peter had a greater understanding of the divine purpose behind "suffering" than any other. Much of his writings are dedicated to this subject. The fourth chapter of 1 Peter is one of the best teachings on how a Christian should view temporal suffering. The chapter even ends with the notion that some suffering is often "according to the will of God" (1 Peter 4:19). This is not a popular teaching in some circles but it is nonetheless true.

Upvote 0

ashout

As Tall as Goliath and as fearsome too!
Oct 27, 2009
Home
✟10,056.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Christians suffer, this is true, but for how long? remember that, it will not last forever. ...it might last all your life and beyond, but if you stay in Christ and he in you, then you will one day see the end of your suffering. it will be blessed beautiful thing that you enjoy thoroughly. oh so thoroughly, and my guess is that you won't even think about what happened to you in the past anymore. it'll be like it didn't happen in a way.

Upvote 0

SplendidTree

Legend
Aug 8, 2009
✟53,000.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
I certainly agre whe should "find joy" when suffering, set upon by the world. However, that does not mean we should "seek it out." I know you didn't suggest we should, just saying.................

:)

I really liked this answer. lol I will say I love how suffering makes us so much stronger and appreciative. Also it helps us to trust and lean upon God so much more. So yeah sometimes it gets to us however, there is always goodness in it. I am so glad I have suffered the way I have because it has brought about such changes in me I desperately needed.

Upvote 0

ashout

As Tall as Goliath and as fearsome too!
Oct 27, 2009
Home
✟10,056.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
In a way, all of us are seeking out suffering, becuase we chose to follow Jesus and if you follow Jesus you will find suffering is a part of it. people will cast you out and hate you becuase you believe in what is right. Even people of faith will do this to you and i'm not even sure that they will go to hell for it, they might not!

Upvote 0