✟374,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Is that the standard in all states?

I don't think so. Most US states have adopted the Uniform Determination of Death Act (UDDA.) Which just states that death can be declared by showing: 1) irreversible cessation of cardiorespiratory activity, or 2) irreversible cessation of all brain function, including the brain stem. But it leaves specifics to the states. To my knowledge, most states require death by neurologic criteria to be certified by more than one physician--usually neurologists--and the standard of care generally requires some other objective confirmation. In my state of Missouri, serial EEGs are usually used. A brain scan confirming absence of cerebral blood flow is also acceptable.

Upvote 0

MoonLancer

The Moon is a reflection of the MorningStar
Aug 10, 2007
✟22,024.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
In Relationship
For me, it would depend on the extent of the damage if I would pull the plug or not.

you do have a good point. If the doctors think recovery is possible, i would not remove life support. However if over half the persons brain has rotted away like in some high profile cases, i think its time to say goodbye and let them die with dignity.

On the topic of little kids, kids can recover more easily so one must be more conservative about removing life support.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

lawtonfogle

My solace my terror, my terror my solace.
Apr 20, 2005
✟13,892.00
Faith
Christian
you do have a good point. If the doctors think recovery is possible, i would not remove life support. However if over half the persons brain has rotted away like in some high profile cases, i think its time to say goodbye and let them die with dignity.

On the topic of little kids, kids can recover more easily so one must be more conservative about removing life support.

Half the brain you say? Might want to go with 3/4's.

Girl With Half Brain Removed, Returns Home ? Another Medical Victory | TheMedGuru

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
if this child is anything like Terri Schiavo, well i would pull the plug myself. Forcing someones body to live when they have been clearly dead for years is wrong. It is a fate worse then death. Terri Schiavos brain was literally rotting in her head. It physically was turning to smushy slushy goo.

This I agree with. If the body dies when not hooked up to the machine is meant to do so, it's more like playing god by forcing a body that wants to go alive.

Upvote 0