A call to urgency (Now THIS will get your attention!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josephus

<b>Co-Founder Christian Forums</b>
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2000
Kerbal Space Center
✟150,343.00
Faith
Messianic
It was in my hometown of Greeley, Colorado at the University of Northern Colorado that a young international student from Egypt was attending school in the hopes of finally seeing the 'real' America. He figured he'd want to check out a country-side middle-America 'Christian' town to see if it was true of the Islamic distaste for anything of western culture.

This muslim man, was invited to a 'Christian' dance party. What he saw there totally disgusted him.
He left believing that what one could see in New York and elsewhere is nearly universal in all American culture.

This happened in 1948. 10 years later he wrote a book which is now fundamental reading for Muslim radical groups wishing to prove American culture is of the devil... this man later went back to Egypt and published a book on Western culture and what he saw in Greeley, Colorado - a book which formed the foundation of other material now in the hands of muslim clerics and groups wishing to prove the ungodliness of Western society; a reading audience which included many terrorist organizations, including Al Qada, - and his books were found in the libraries of the terrorist suicide hijackers of September 11th.

What we do, no matter how 'innocent' we may think, we are God's light to other people. How that light displays itself is one that either people are attracted to, or abhor. I pray we make the right decisions in all the 'innocent' things we do.

<><
J

Upvote 0
IMHO i dont mind his music, but then again I like all sorts of metal, and i also play/played dungon and dragons. Growing up feeling as the "odd" one out it is hard to find yourself in a room filled with fog. Rejection can be good and bad it can really rip apart someones self assurance.

It would not suprise me if the story is true, look at his art that he makes. Its is very somber, as if he was calling out in fustration and confustion to find a hand to lead him through the forest.

Upvote 0

supermagdalena

The Shrubs and the Flan.
Jan 27, 2002
Suburbia, USA
Visit site
✟2,068.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Shouldn't you more look at the point in the story rather than snooping out to see if it's true? I iknew when I posted it that it may not be entirely true, but i loved the message. It has a great point, please still try to get the moral here. our actions as Christians, every step we take matters. We have to watch what we do and say. Anyways, it still provides a good explaination for his acts.

Upvote 0

Snor Snor

Servant of Jesus Christ
Feb 14, 2002
Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟524.00
Faith
Christian
I think that should be in our prayers that we should not overlook the "outcast" of the group. Here's a story about God putting us in places to lift others up for those who are in dire need of it! :) My sister sent it to me, so I'm sorry for the >'s, but it's still pretty easy to read. Hope you like it!!!!!!

> > > > > One day, when I was a freshman in high school, I saw a kid from my
> >class
> > > > was
> > > > > walking home from school. His name was Kyle. It looked like he
was
> > > > > carrying all of his books. I thought to myself, "Why would anyone
> >bring
> > > > > home all his books on a Friday? He must
> > > > > really be a nerd."
> > > > >
> > > > > I had quite a weekend planned (parties and a football game with my
> > > friends
> > > > > tomorrow afternoon), so I shrugged my shoulders and went on.
> > > > >
> > > > > As I was walking, I saw a bunch of kids running toward him. They
> >ran
> >at
> > > > > him, knocking all his books out of his arms and tripping him so he
> > > landed
> > > > in
> > > > > the dirt. His glasses went flying, and I saw them land in the
grass
> > > about
> > > > > ten feet from him. He looked up and I saw this terrible sadness
in
> >his
> > > > > eyes. My heart went out to him. So, I jogged over to him and as
he
> > > > crawled
> > > > > around looking for his glasses, and I saw a tear in his eye. As I
> > > handed
> > > > > him his glasses, I said, "Those guys are jerks. They really
should
> >get
> > > > > lives."
> > > > >
> > > > > He looked at me and said, "Hey thanks!" There was a big smile on
> >his
> > > > face.
> > > > > It was one of those smiles that showed real gratitude. I helped
him
> > > pick
> > > > up
> > > > > his books, and asked him where he lived. As it turned out, he
lived
> > > near
> > > > > me, so I asked him why I had never seen him before. He said he
had
> >gone
> > > > to
> > > > > private school before now. I would have never hung out with a
> >private
> > > > > school kid before. We talked all the way home, and I carried some
> >of
> > > his
> > > > > books. He turned out to be a pretty cool kid. I asked him if he
> >wanted
> > > to
> > > > > play a little football with my friends. He said yes. We hung out
> >all
> > > > > weekend and the more I got to
> > > > > know Kyle, the more I liked him, and my friends thought the same
of
> >him.
> > > > >
> > > > > Monday morning came, and there was Kyle with the huge stack of
books
> > > > again.
> > > > > I stopped him and said, "Boy, you are gonna really build some
> >serious
> > > > > muscles with this pile of books everyday!" He just laughed and
> >handed
> > > me
> > > > > half the books.
> > > > >
> > > > > Over the next four years, Kyle and I became best friends. When we
> >were
> > > > > seniors, we began to think about college. Kyle decided on
> >Georgetown,
> > > > and
> > > > > I was going to Duke. I knew that we would always be friends, that
> >the
> > > > miles
> > > > > would never be a problem. He was going to be a doctor, and I was
> >going
> > > > for
> > > > > business on a football scholarship.
> > > > >
> > > > > Kyle was valedictorian of our class. I teased him all the time
> >about
> > > > being
> > > > > a nerd. He had to prepare a speech for graduation. I was so glad
> >it
> > > > wasn't
> > > > > me having to get up there and speak.
> > > > >
> > > > > Graduation day, I saw Kyle. He looked great. He was one of those
> >guys
> > > > that
> > > > > really found himself during high school. He filled out and
actually
> > > > looked
> > > > > good in glasses. He had more dates than I had and all the girls
> >loved
> > > > him.
> > > > > Boy, sometimes I was jealous.
> > > > > Today was one of those days. I could see that he was nervous
about
> >his
> > > > > speech. So, I smacked him on the back and said, "Hey, big guy,
> >you'll
> > > be
> > > > > great!" He looked at me with one of those looks (the really
> >grateful
> > > one)
> > > > > and smiled. "Thanks," he said.
> > > > >
> > > > > As he started his speech, he cleared his throat, and began.
> >"Graduation
> > > > is
> > > > > a time to thank those who helped you make it through those tough
> >years.
> > > > > Your parents, your teachers, your siblings, maybe a coach, but
> >mostly
> > > your
> > > > > friends. I am here to tell all of you that being a friend to
> >someone
> >is
> > > > the
> > > > > best gift you can give them. I am going to tell you a story."
> > > > >
> > > > > I just looked at my friend with disbelief as he told the story of
> >the
> > > > first
> > > > > day we met. He had planned to kill himself over the weekend. He
> >talked
> > > > of
> > > > > how he had cleaned out his locker so his Mom wouldn't have to do
it
> > > later
> > > > > and was carrying his stuff home. He looked hard at me and gave me
a
> > > > little
> > > > > smile. "Thankfully, I was saved. My friend saved me from doing
the
> > > > > unspeakable."
> > > > >
> > > > > I heard the gasp go through the crowd as this handsome, popular
boy
> >told
> > > > us
> > > > > all about his weakest moment. I saw his Mom and dad looking at me
> >and
> > > > > smiling that same grateful smile. Not until that moment did I
> >realize
> > > its
> > > > > depth.
> > > > >
> > > > > Never underestimate the power of your actions. With one small
> >gesture
> > > you
> > > > > can change a person's life, for better or for worse. God puts us
> >all
> >in
> > > > > each other's lives to impact one another in some way. Look for
God
> >in
> > > > > others.
> > > > >
> > > > > You now have two choices, you can: 1) Pass this on to your
friends,
> >or
> > > 2)
> > > > > delete it and act like it didn't touch your heart. As you can
see,
> >I
> > > took
> > > > > choice number 1.

Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟933,641.00
Faith
Atheist
Originally posted by supermagdalena
Shouldn't you more look at the point in the story rather than snooping out to see if it's true? I iknew when I posted it that it may not be entirely true, but i loved the message. It has a great point, please still try to get the moral here. our actions as Christians, every step we take matters. We have to watch what we do and say. Anyways, it still provides a good explaination for his acts.
Snooping?

There's a loaded term.

You also said:
Also, just because this event has never been mentioned by him doesn't mean it didn't happen.
If he never said it and biographers never snooped it out, then you must ask yourself what the source of the story is.

Was it the pastor? Was it a member of the youth group? Who?

No one is named. No sources are cited.

As I said above, I didn't believe the OP was intentionally spreading falsehoods.

I agree the message is good. But it is totally destroyed if the author lied. Lying for a good moral is self-defeating and hurts the name of Christ. (Please, please, note I am not blaming the OP!)

We should not be party to spreading urban legends around the web.

Tinker

Upvote 0

supermagdalena

The Shrubs and the Flan.
Jan 27, 2002
Suburbia, USA
Visit site
✟2,068.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Snor, I love that story. Thanks for posting it! Tinker Grey, sorry if I seemed a little hostile there. I just wasn't really worried about it being entirely true, and also didn't think about it really. I still think it very well could've happened. many people already deep into occult-type practices come to church on spur of the moment type things, or if someone at school told them to go. Remember, I meant no harm, I was just stunned by the moral.

Upvote 0

Egoinos

Feb 10, 2002
Visit site
✟179.00
Originally posted by Christsoldier
Egoinos,
Dungeon and Dragons can be a bridge to the occult by assuming alter egos and asking for spirit guides and the like. I don't feel it's just a game. It may start out that way, but if you're in it long enough, it is more than just a game.

The trouble is, even reading fiction, or using your imagination, or writing stories as so many children do, can be said to be assuming an alter ego.
I've played D&D - to be honest I found it boring - but it was simply a game, a fantasy game, yes, but not substantially different to writing a story along those lines. There will always be people who get addicted to things like that, but then there are those who become addicted to the internet, to gambling, to all sorts of things. Some people have 'addictive personalities', they are constantly at risk of becoming addicted to almost any activity, unless they are aware of this aspect of their personality. The behaviour of certain people who play D&D is not the fault of the game itself, but of unrecognised tendencies within themselves, which could come out in another medium, were this not there.

--Egoinos--

Upvote 0
Originally posted by Christsoldier
Egoinos,
Dungeon and Dragons can be a bridge to the occult by assuming alter egos and asking for spirit guides and the like. I don't feel it's just a game. It may start out that way, but if you're in it long enough, it is more than just a game.

By who do you get your information from? Thats kinda like saying those who goto school can find it as a bridge to the occult.

i think i would chaulk it up to the "would be/ should be/ could be/ isnt" collumn

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Blessed-one

a long journey ahead
Jan 30, 2002
Australia
Visit site
✟25,777.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Originally posted by Josephus

What we do, no matter how 'innocent' we may think, we are God's light to other people. How that light displays itself is one that either people are attracted to, or abhor. I pray we make the right decisions in all the 'innocent' things we do.

AMEN!!

1st Corinthians 8:9
"Be careful, however, that the exercise of your freedom does not become a stumbling block to the weak."

non believers look at what we do and we "should" reflect Jesus's image, but most often we're "unconsciously" doing stuff that we shouldn't be doing....

bro and sis, May God give us wisdom to watch ourselves, so that we may not be a stumbling block to others.

Upvote 0

Egoinos

Feb 10, 2002
Visit site
✟179.00
Originally posted by Debbie
Sometimes it only takes one time to seek a spirit guide & be indwelled by a demon. Same for Ouija boards.

I think I tried those as well, when I was at school....
OK, so do you have any proof that a person who tries D&D, rock music or ouija boards, or tries to seek a spirit guide (is native american, comes from a neo-pagan family..) once becomes possessed by a demon?

Upvote 0

Blynn

Jan 15, 2002
✟22,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Hi Egoinos,

Maybe some of us on this forum would be proof?

I messed around with everything occultic. I had a Ouija board, tarot cards, I was into casting horoscopes, astral projection (got so good at it I could not control it) casting spells, I held seances....

Was I demon possesed? I don't know, but I can tell you this I had a dark presence following me. I would wake up at night and a dark shadow would be by my bed. I could feel this evil influence around me. I would wake up with scratches on my body. Did I do it to myself? I don't think so, they were deep like if they were done with a sharp object. I also experienced scratching noises on the walls in my home.

Very scary. I think the occult any form of it is very dangerous.
Why should we even mess around with any of this stuff? I believe you open yourself up to demonic influence.

God Bless,
Roberta

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

supermagdalena

The Shrubs and the Flan.
Jan 27, 2002
Suburbia, USA
Visit site
✟2,068.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I agree with that...aren't doing things like using Ouija boards and playing D&D inviting a demon in? Have you ever read the book, "The Ishbane Conspiracy"? It addresses these kinds of issues (on top of it being a really good fiction that you can't put down ;) ) The demons can not physical hurt you (only spiritualy and emotional) unless you invite them to. Trying to contact spirits is risky because, you might actually get one. but, I promise, it won't be a good one. I messed around a little with seances in the sixth grade (the sixth grade! can you believe we were already doing this stuff?) and almost all my friends owned a Ouija board, though i refused to use one (though i did a couple seances, boy was i not thinking!) I never experienced anything as dramatic and creepy as what blynn experienced, but my life changed and took this dark tone to it. For a little while i had some really bad thoughts. Finally i was jerked to reality when I lost all my friends and had to get new ones. A year later I became a Christian, and now realize that the stuff I was doing could've really screwed me up, had God not given me a wake-up call.

Upvote 0

Debbie

Dec 11, 2001
Visit site
✟1,142.00
Egoinos,
I don't think there is any verse in the Bible that indicates rock music can lead to demonic posession. There is Christian rock music. The Doobie Bros-Jesus is Just Alright With Me. etc
Yeah I have read books by this woman, I think her name was (Betty?) White who bcame possessed by a demon named Seth upon using a Ouija Board 1st time.
BUt she was not a Christian & saw this as an opportunity to teach the world everything she learned from Seth. She no longer needed to contact him through the Ouija board. There are several books of Seth's revelations about life, reincarnation, etc. The library used to carry them-20 yrs ago. It also contained pictures of her normally, & while Seth possessed her. SHe considered herself a medium. While Christians know her as being possessed by a demon.
Yes native Americans also become possessed by demons when they seek spirit guides. There are only 2 kinds of spirits. God's & Satan's. People usually get what they are looking for. They don't have to be knowledgeable about the source from which they recieve it, as long as they get what they want.
But the only way to recieve God's Spirit, is through Jesus Christ, per the Bible. All other Spirits are to be tested, per the Bible, to see if they have the testimony of Jesus Christ & bear good fruit. Otherwise they are of Satan.
Blynn was very sweet in sharing her true experience with you. Believe her.

Upvote 0

Egoinos

Feb 10, 2002
Visit site
✟179.00
blynn,
I messed around with everything occultic. I had a Ouija board, tarot cards, I was into casting horoscopes, astral projection (got so good at it I could not control it) casting spells, I held seances....

I suppose it must depend on the person. I tried a Ouija board and felt nothing - though my friends did, another time - I had tarot cards, but couldn't figure out how to use them and thought they were boring anyway - horoscopes I've always thought were rubbish, I used to know a journalist who wrote them for a newspaper, pretending to be an astrologer! Astral projection and seances I've never had any involvement with and I've read spells, but never tried all the poncing about that seems to go with them. I just always figured that stuff was for poseurs, and kids who wanted to feel they had a little power.

Debbie,
I don't think there is any verse in the Bible that indicates rock music can lead to demonic posession.

Sorry, I got a little confused :) My local Christian book shop is full of books about how rock music is from Satan, and I assumed that most people lumped them all in together. I don't think rock music is evil either - not in general, that is.

Supermagdalene,
I agree with that...aren't doing things like using Ouija boards and playing D&D inviting a demon in?

The thing is, Ouija boards I can accept as inviting in spirits, as that is its purpose, and they are definitely occultic. D&D I'm not so sure about, as its a role-playing game. To me, D&D is just like those PC games where you are a magician, or a thief, or a warrior - standard fantasy characters. To me, its just a game.

--Egoinos--

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.