A Blaze of Glory OOC

S

StarSplitter87

Well....I was thinking.....does the group have a decent badguy? Not like a general foe, but a specific embodiment of what the group tries to avoid?

I was watching Equilibrium the other day and it reminded me a bit of the world you're describing...perhaps instead of trying for the crooked good guy, I could aim towards the straight and narrow bad.

What you think?

~Star

Upvote 0

Paladin Dave

The Beauty's Beast
Aug 30, 2004
Undisclosed
✟42,915.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Short answer is probably not. That is, I don't think they have anyone like that. Could you explain what you mean by that? Do you want to be an opponent for the party, or a party member who is perhaps of a different inherent alignment than the rest?

Upvote 0

Paladin Dave

The Beauty's Beast
Aug 30, 2004
Undisclosed
✟42,915.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Oh, you mean a Commissar? Well... the Imperium has something vaguely similar to that. >.> Commissar - Lexicanum

That said, the Imperium's Commissariat has jurisdiction over all military branches, with the exception of the Adeptus Astartes (space marines), Adepta Sororitas (Sisters of Battle) and the Skitarii(soldiers of the Tech Priests of Mars). Rogue Traders, however, are not part of the Imperial military. They're explorers and advancers of Imperial influence through trade and encounters with the alien and the unknown, and often times above the law. A commissar would have no power over a Rogue Trader, but that isn't the only place a staunch Imperial could fill on a vessel.

You also have the missionaries of the Ecclesiarchy. They are full priests, but have no jurisdiction over the Rogue Traders, but they are often given a place as a crewmember aboard their vessels, with a twofold purpose: one, to spread the word of the Emperor to lost populations of humans they discover, and two, to serve as religious ministers to the crew itself. They have no power over their captains, but they still serve as a voice in favor of Imperial doctrine.

Wayward members of the military who have become lost and separated from their unit or vessel, or perhaps are one of the lone survivors of a disastrous defeat, could be recruited to serve in the crew, at least until they're returned to Imperial space to muster back into service.

Planetary nobility, while not given the same privileges as a Rogue Trader, could theoretically have the funding (and freedom, should they be a younger child not in line to inherit a governing position) to go off adventuring in the far reaches, and find themselves needing to side with the Arrow of Artemis and her captain in an hour of need. Their devotion to the Imperial way of life varies, of course, and they hold little power outside of their world aside from the power of the almighty dollar-- or throne gelt, or "throne" as they're called in the Imperium.

Just a few options available. You COULD still play a commissar, but know that whatever you decide on, they're not gonna have any power over a Rogue Trader like Glory.

Upvote 0
S

StarSplitter87

I don't want to control her, I want my character to be a thorn in her side. Such as, we'd put obsticles in her way and she must manuever around them.

My character as a sort of Moriarty to her Sherlock......but not nearly as complicated.

That OR a Shepard Book kind of character from Firefly....I'm really on a Firefly kick lately....

~Star

Upvote 0

Paladin Dave

The Beauty's Beast
Aug 30, 2004
Undisclosed
✟42,915.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ping me on AIM or Rich's board or something, so we can chat this out a little faster. I'd like us to be able to determine this soon, so the rest of the story can keep moving.

That said, I can tell you are. :p I don't think Book is comparable to a thorn-in-side adversary, though. I think the idea has merit, but let's talk over exactly what you want, and what can be done.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Woman of Faith

...by faith I am saved.
Jul 16, 2004
Ooooooklahoma!
✟16,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hi, I have no idea what Dave will say about Necrons, but I just wanted to ask you to hang out and be patient cause it might take him a while to reply. He's really busy in RL.

For myself, I'm glad to see interest in the thread! We need more players. You're familiar with 40K then? I'm fairly clueless, but Dave's helping me get it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rocketbear

Jul 8, 2013
✟15,132.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Hi, I have no idea what Dave will say about Necrons, but I just wanted to ask you to hang out and be patient cause it might take him a while to reply. He's really busy in RL.

For myself, I'm glad to see interest in the thread! We need more players. You're familiar with 40K then? I'm fairly clueless, but Dave's helping me get it.
I'm familiar with it alittle bit, I know what most of the races are and what they do but don't know too much of the lore etc.

As for waiting, there's no rush :)

Upvote 0

Paladin Dave

The Beauty's Beast
Aug 30, 2004
Undisclosed
✟42,915.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, I hate to be a killjoy, but Necrons are pretty well out of the question. :( Even with Matt Ward's changes to their canon, they're still anathema to most living things, largely devoid of personality, and too dangerous to be associated with by Imperials. Necron Lords are the only ones who would be free to communicate and associate, and they're far too powerful and invested with too arcane a purpose to be galavanting about with a Rogue Trader on whimsical adventures and trade enterprising.

But I appreciate your interest in the thread, and I wanna ask, what about Necrons piqued your interest in them? We might be able to work something out, like an Adeptus Mechanicus character for example if the mechanical aspect is what appealed to you.

Upvote 0

rocketbear

Jul 8, 2013
✟15,132.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I've just always liked the alien aspect of warhammer 40k. I love fantasy melded with sci fi, necrons embody that I think. Machine with magic, almost steampunk in a sense. lol

For me, I'm a huge nerd. Im just drawn to stuff like this, I even made a website for christian nerds.

Anyway

I understand if necrons not allowed though, I like Orks. Haha. I hate to be difficult :>

Upvote 0

Paladin Dave

The Beauty's Beast
Aug 30, 2004
Undisclosed
✟42,915.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Really? I dunno that I'd compare Necrons to steampunk at all, but I get what you mean about the fantasy/sci fi meld. The Orks are a good choice there, as are the shameless space-elf Eldar, and the Imperium has its echoes to fantasy too, but if you're fond of Orks, well... Iiiii think we could work that in! If you'd like to play something like an Ork Freeboota, who ends up somehow joining the crew in a plucky alliance of convenience or something, that might be possible. Have you read any of the thread (it's a lot, I don't expect you to slog through the whole thing) at all, per chance?

And no, that's not being difficult! ...Trust me, we've had difficult. >.>

Upvote 0