A blasphemous French film exploits the tragedy of a 17th century fake mystic, and the media loves it

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,679,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Gross, indecent, vulgar, and willfully abusive of all that Catholics hold sacred, 'Benedetta' received positive and even enthusiastic notices from some French critics, as well as from the BBC, the Hollywood Reporter, Variety, and indieWire.

PARIS, France (LifeSiteNews) — Recent protests in New York at the first showing of Benedetta, a “historic” film that crudely tells the story of a purported mystic nun tried for lesbianism in 17th century Italy, were ridiculed in the mainstream press while the Catholic hierarchy worldwide appears to have remained totally silent over the blasphemous picture. In France, where the film premièred in July at the Cannes festival, there was literally no reaction on the part of Church leaders – not even to object to the fact that it was restricted only to audiences aged 12 and over.

The film, dubbed a “mystic farce” in one Belgian daily, is due to be released in the U.S. on December 3.

Continued below.
A blasphemous French film exploits the tragedy of a 17th century fake mystic, and the media loves it - LifeSite

TheWhat?

Ate all the treats
Jul 3, 2021
SoCal
✟38,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
What a sad story. After a brief read, it sounds as if the basis for the belief in the illegitimacy of her experiences was suspicion of their origin, not that the experiences were not themselves real.

As one who is inclined to believe a mystic is a mystic, despite oppression, or even possession, she sounds very much like the victim of circumstance and people who were obsessed with hierarchy, judgment and who did not know how to effectively deal with evil. From what I'm seeing, I'm inclined to believe she needed a real spiritual authority to help her, like Jesus and/or the Apostles, and instead met persecution at the hands of a broken system. What's clear is mystics should steer clear of anything like 17th century monasteries and convents, there is clearly danger involved in seeking help there.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TheWhat?

Ate all the treats
Jul 3, 2021
SoCal
✟38,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I don't know how modern monasteries & convents compare, unfortunately, I've only spent limited time at a very small one. But my home parish was very aware of and helpful toward psychological ailments related to religion. If they are any indication, I wonder if they reflect changes in the church's structure and policy.

Upvote 0