Central Valley, California
✟15,871.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Some of you may remember me asking questions about RCIA months ago, when I first started attending the Church. As I learn more about everything, I'm starting to worry about said education I'm receiving by the RCIA coordinator. Yesterday, we went off topic and he started talking about the process for Anglicans to become Catholic, and said there was a local Episcopal diocese which wanted to convert to Catholicism because they didn't believe in the ordination of women priests, and also there was something about them having a problem with an openly gay bishop. While none of this sounded out of the ordinary to me, his comment about it threw me for a loop. He said he wasn't sure if the Church really needed anyone "that conservative."

Now, did I miss something, or does this sound a bit off to anyone else?

NewMan99

New CF: More Political, Less Charity, No Unity
Mar 20, 2005
Earth
✟18,235.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
He was expressing a personal opinion - and one that is apparently at odds with that of the Church. This is a problem with some RCIA programs. Sometimes some of the teachers begin to inject a bit of their own personal "agenda" (for lack of a better word) into their instructions. Like with everything in life, you need to take such opinion-related comments with a grain of salt.

Upvote 0

balesom

Miserere nobis.
Feb 9, 2009
✟15,871.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
He was expressing a personal opinion - and one that is apparently at odds with that of the Church. This is a problem with some RCIA programs. Sometimes some of the teachers begin to inject a bit of their own personal "agenda" (for lack of a better word) into their instructions. Like with everything in life, you need to take such opinion-related comments with a grain of salt.

This isn't the first time he's expressed a personal opinion that was at odds with the Church, but it was the most shocking.

I don't know. Maybe it's not as bad as I see it, I do seem to be a bit fed up with the general lack of education I've been receiving while in the program.

Upvote 0

NewMan99

Mar 20, 2005
Earth
✟18,235.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Don't be too discouraged by this kind of poor instruction. This is why we put our faith in God and the teachings of His Church, and not in the personal opinions of any one given teacher. It was wise and prudent for you to come here and ask this question. I taught RCIA for many years and have seen this kind of thing before (the other person I taught with was a feminist who was constantly injecting her opinions into our classes...it made for some interesting and stimulating dialog). Look at it like an opportunity to explore not only that this person was wrong to say what he did - but WHY he is wrong to do so. Remember that the Church is neither liberal nor conservative (in that these terms have an almost overt political connotation), but rather the Church is Truth itself. So focus on that.

Upvote 0

PassthePeace1

CARO CARDO SALUTIS
Jun 6, 2005
✟24,260.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
This isn't the first time he's expressed a personal opinion that was at odds with the Church, but it was the most shocking.

I don't know. Maybe it's not as bad as I see it, I do seem to be a bit fed up with the general lack of education I've been receiving while in the program.

Sorry to hear you got into one of "those" type of RCIA programs, is there another parish within a reasonable driving distance? If so I would check them out, and see if they take fidelity to the teachings of the Church more seriously.

Upvote 0

NewMan99

Mar 20, 2005
Earth
✟18,235.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You have every right to be disappointed at the level of education you are receiving. Bear with it in gentleness and humilty and augment your instruction with other resources and studying.

One thing that was really helpful to me during my RCIA experience (both when I was a student and when I was a teacher), was to realize that there is more to learning Catholicism than just the intellectual part of it. By that I mean, Catholicism is an entirely new and alien means of expression for us converts. I was already well beyond most RCIA-level *intellectual* instruction when I was a student (I was already reading Patristics and other things like that)...so I already knew WHAT the Church teaches in doctrine etc... - BUT - what I did NOT know yet at that time was HOW to be Catholic. There is a new theological language as well as a new body language. And even though I strongly disagreed with my fellow teacher on things like women's ordination, she taught me much about the non-doctrinal aspects of the Catholic experience and Catholic life (she was a cradle Catholic). So if I were you, try to immerse yourself in that kind of instruction and sift through the other nonsense when he presses forward with ideas and notions that you already know are clearly "off" compared to what the Church actually teaches doctrinally.

You can still make lemonade out of the lemons.

Upvote 0

NewMan99

Mar 20, 2005
Earth
✟18,235.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Sorry to hear you got into one of "those" type of RCIA programs, is there another parish within a reasonable driving distance? If so I would check them out, and see if they take fidelity to the teachings of the Church more seriously.

This, too, is not a bad suggestion to consider.

Upvote 0

ContraMundum

Messianic Jewish Christian
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Some of you may remember me asking questions about RCIA months ago, when I first started attending the Church. As I learn more about everything, I'm starting to worry about said education I'm receiving by the RCIA coordinator. Yesterday, we went off topic and he started talking about the process for Anglicans to become Catholic, and said there was a local Episcopal diocese which wanted to convert to Catholicism because they didn't believe in the ordination of women priests, and also there was something about them having a problem with an openly gay bishop. While none of this sounded out of the ordinary to me, his comment about it threw me for a loop. He said he wasn't sure if the Church really needed anyone "that conservative."

Now, did I miss something, or does this sound a bit off to anyone else?

Well....he would be referring to members of my communion or at least friends of ours. Anyway, if I were you, I wouldn't let is worry me. Nobody's perfect, and you'll never agree with everyone on every point, even within the Church and those faithful to the magisterium. Finish your course, become Catholic, and have your own opinion too.

Still, as an aside, there are a number of Catholics who share his opinion- including people I've met and a few people much higher up to boot. Yes, we are very conservative Christians, this is true. I know of Anglican Catholics who will not seek unity with the Holy See because they perceive the wider RC community as too liberal and culturally different to theirs- I'm not joking.

Upvote 0

balesom

Miserere nobis.
Feb 9, 2009
✟15,871.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

There are two other parishes here in town, but one pretty much only does CCD, since there's a school attached to it, and the other parish is all Portuguese, which I don't understand at all.

I've considered finding another RCIA program, but I do have a concern about having to start all over. I am still an inquirer, but I found out on Sunday that they're preparing for my Rite of Acceptance in two weeks.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ZooMom

Thanks for the memories...
Feb 5, 2002
America
✟45,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You can always do what I did. Go to the classes (because you have to for the Rites), be attentive to what is factual information about the Catholic faith and what is slanted or blurred to be 'politically correct'...and do alot of reading and research on your own. Most of what I learned about our faith was learned from reading the ECF's, the Catechism, and asking many, many, many questions of a strong online Catholic community. Many of whom are still around here. :angel: Some are not, and I really feel for those seekers who will not have the benefit of their wisdom. It was through these wonderful people that I came to know what it *really* meant to *be* Catholic. They still inspire me today. :)

Peace be with you on your journey. :hug:

Sandy

Upvote 0

balesom

Miserere nobis.
Feb 9, 2009
✟15,871.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
You have every right to be disappointed at the level of education you are receiving. Bear with it in gentleness and humilty and augment your instruction with other resources and studying.

One thing that was really helpful to me during my RCIA experience (both when I was a student and when I was a teacher), was to realize that there is more to learning Catholicism than just the intellectual part of it. By that I mean, Catholicism is an entirely new and alien means of expression for us converts. I was already well beyond most RCIA-level *intellectual* instruction when I was a student (I was already reading Patristics and other things like that)...so I already knew WHAT the Church teaches in doctrine etc... - BUT - what I did NOT know yet at that time was HOW to be Catholic. There is a new theological language as well as a new body language. And even though I strongly disagreed with my fellow teacher on things like women's ordination, she taught me much about the non-doctrinal aspects of the Catholic experience and Catholic life (she was a cradle Catholic). So if I were you, try to immerse yourself in that kind of instruction and sift through the other nonsense when he presses forward with ideas and notions that you already know are clearly "off" compared to what the Church actually teaches doctrinally.

You can still make lemonade out of the lemons.

I have been immersing myself quite well. The best teacher I've had thus far is a friend that lives here in the dorms. She's done so much for me, from helping me pick my first bible, actually taking me with her to the parish across the street (had a long-standing disgust of churches in general, long story, but it ended the second I stepped into the Catholic Church. That's how I knew I was home.) and we would sit up until the wee hours of the morning talking about anything and everything we could think of. She's also a cradle Catholic, and even went with me the first time I went for RCIA. Sadly, it was her last time going with me, as the coordinator shared his views of cradle Catholics.

Er, everything I just wrote in the paragraph above makes sense to me, but if it doesn't make sense to anyone else, please let me know. I just hit my head on the freezer door and I'm not sure if my mind's cooperating the way I want it to right now. Thanks.

Reactions: ContraMundum
Upvote 0

ZooMom

Thanks for the memories...
Feb 5, 2002
America
✟45,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
What is the Rite of Acceptance?

Are you planning to be received on Easter?

The Rite of Acceptance is when the Candidates and Catechumens formally state their intention to join the Church after the initial period of inquiry. They will receive their Confirmation and first Communion at Easter. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ContraMundum

Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well, we are only slightly to the right of Torquemada.:p

I wouldn't ever use the word "we" and (Tomas de) Torquemada in the same sentence. I think we'd compare rather favourably with Cardinal Newman.

Upvote 0

ContraMundum

Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I just hit my head on the freezer door and I'm not sure if my mind's cooperating the way I want it to right now. Thanks.
OUCH. Too bad you weren't about to go biking and had your helmet on.

FWIW- I rarely make sense on here.

Reactions: Ivy
Upvote 0

balesom

Miserere nobis.
Feb 9, 2009
✟15,871.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
What is the Rite of Acceptance?

Are you planning to be received on Easter?

I'll be baptized on Easter. Past that, I have no idea what's going on.

ZooMom said:
You can always do what I did. Go to the classes (because you have to for the Rites), be attentive to what is factual information about the Catholic faith and what is slanted or blurred to be 'politically correct'...and do alot of reading and research on your own. Most of what I learned about our faith was learned from reading the ECF's, the Catechism, and asking many, many, many questions of a strong online Catholic community. Many of whom are still around here. :angel: Some are not, and I really feel for those seekers who will not have the benefit of their wisdom. It was through these wonderful people that I came to know what it *really* meant to *be* Catholic. They still inspire me today. :)

I am. I've been reading anything and everything I can get my hands on, but I usually get sidetracked by books about saints. I have not made my way to the Catechism yet, but that's actually my next purchase when I go to the bookstore again. I have been asking a couple questions, but it seems that more often than not I can log on here and see my question answered right before I ask it. I have been around long enough to benefit from those that left in what seemed like a mass leaving of people over the early summer, before they left. In fact, I recently emailed ShannonMcCatholic to tell her I missed the knowledge I would randomly receive from her. :)

Upvote 0