Student at William Jewell
Aug 14, 2003
Visit site
✟16,028.00
Faith
Christian
Dear Daily Message Readers,

READ: Deuteronomy 32

Deuteronomy 32:4 (NIV) "He is the Rock, his works are perfect, and all his ways are just. A faithful God who does no wrong, upright and just is he."

For many of us, our perception and image of God is that He is like us and like the other people in our lives. We might believe that His love, grace, and mercy for us will change depending on our behavior. We might even think He will condemn us if we commit the same sin one more time ("That's it, Bob! I warned you too many times...Now, off to hell!"). And some of us may think that if we submit to His will for our lives, He will take advantage of us ("Now I've got you where I want you, Darin. You had better start packing...You're going to Antarctica as a missionary!").

So what does the Bible tell us about God and His character? It tells us that we need to put aside our mortal perceptions and think about the things we actually know. The Bible says repeatedly that God is just, kind, good, and faithful. It also says that He does not want people to die without knowing Him, that He is patient, holy, forgiving, and never changes.

Moses, speaking inspired words from God, had some striking things to say about the character of our Creator as he was passing the leadership of Israel to Joshua: "He is the Rock, his works are perfect, and all his ways are just. A faithful God who does no wrong, upright and just is he.” (Deuteronomy 32:4). During this time, the people had become corrupt and crooked. They were acting like true fools toward God. He asked them, in essence, how they could live unfaithfully after having known Him--the One who made and sustained them (32:6-7). It seemed their personal perceptions of Him had gotten in the way of a faith-filled life and dedication in His presence.

Can we depend on our perceptions and intuitions? No, but we can base our perception, our view of God, on His Word, the Bible. It will shed a much better light on the subject than anything else will in the world. Faith Lesson: If you really want to know God, than you must get to know His Word.

In Christ,
Darin Smith