Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Watch this video about a new city designed from scratch in Guatemala called Cayala. It has been designed by two graduates of Notre Dame's architecture school, according to the plan of Leon Krier.

It explains the concepts behind it's creation; how its beauty benefits rich and poor alike and how it all the non-material benefits its describes contribute to financial rewards for the investors - so incentivising, one hopes, more to be built.

The arguments made on the harmonising principles are largely aimed at a secular market, it seems to me, but they do openly describe this as a Christian concept at one point. The key aspect that is not dwelt upon, but is apparent to me as I watch it, is that the value its promote are in accord with man as a person who has both spiritual and material needs.

There is reference to churches and civic buildings within the layout, but it was not clear to me if it conformed to what I would say was the key element of design for a Christian city that would bring all the benefits described. That principle is that the heart of the city is the place of worship. There is a hierarchy of human activity, and the focal point must be the place of the worship of God. When all other things are ordered to this visually as well as functionally, then all other benefits ensue in even greater abundance. This promotional photo of the city does seems to suggest that this idea has been incorporated.

Continued below.