Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
St Henry of Coquet Island
  • Celebrated on January 16th
Coquet Island lighthouse
7daa82a3f7d7a50308b5feb27614889d587609a8280df9b1daa79a77d562eeb2.jpg

Henry was a 12th century Dane who decided to become a hermit abroad rather than go in to an arranged marriage that made him unhappy. The prior of Tynemouth allowed him to settle on Coquet Island which had once had a community of monks during the time of Bede. It was also the place where Cuthbert used to meet Elfleda, abbess of Whitby.

Henry lived a very simple life, earning his keep by looking after a garden. A party of Danes came to visit him one day to persuade him to return home. They said there were many places for hermits to live in Denmark. But after a night of prayer, Henry decided to stay where he was.

As the years passed he developed a reputation for great holiness. Many people came to him for advice. He had special gifts of prophesy, telekinesis, and could read the secrets of people's hearts.

Henry was known for his cheerfulness. When he became ill, he carried on alone, until one day he rang his bell for help. When the monks arrived, he was already dead, holding the bellrope in one hand and a candle in the other. In spite of great resistance from the islanders, the monks of Tynemouth took his body back to their monastery and buried him in the sanctuary, near their patron Oswin.

Grace2022

Jun 9, 2017
Worcestershire.
✟92,922.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
St Henry of Coquet Island
  • Celebrated on January 16th
Coquet Island lighthouse
7daa82a3f7d7a50308b5feb27614889d587609a8280df9b1daa79a77d562eeb2.jpg

Henry was a 12th century Dane who decided to become a hermit abroad rather than go in to an arranged marriage that made him unhappy. The prior of Tynemouth allowed him to settle on Coquet Island which had once had a community of monks during the time of Bede. It was also the place where Cuthbert used to meet Elfleda, abbess of Whitby.

Henry lived a very simple life, earning his keep by looking after a garden. A party of Danes came to visit him one day to persuade him to return home. They said there were many places for hermits to live in Denmark. But after a night of prayer, Henry decided to stay where he was.

As the years passed he developed a reputation for great holiness. Many people came to him for advice. He had special gifts of prophesy, telekinesis, and could read the secrets of people's hearts.

Henry was known for his cheerfulness. When he became ill, he carried on alone, until one day he rang his bell for help. When the monks arrived, he was already dead, holding the bellrope in one hand and a candle in the other. In spite of great resistance from the islanders, the monks of Tynemouth took his body back to their monastery and buried him in the sanctuary, near their patron Oswin.

Hi
I love reading about hermits and saints. That story is similar to that of St Cuthbert which i read recently.
If i had been born a man i would have loved to become a hermit or a monk!
As it is i am a woman and just cannot rough it lol!

Upvote 0