Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No you do not have to believe that.

Question:​

Did people in the Bible really live to be 900 years old?

Answer:​

The fifth and eleventh chapters of the book of Genesis describe the descendants of Adam, who apparently lived for centuries. These include Adam’s son Seth, who lived to be 920, and Methuselah, who lived a whopping 969 years, making him the oldest person in the Bible.

But don’t these long ages contradict what we know about the average human life span? They certainly are way above average. Being omnipotent, God could have caused these people to live this long, but there is reason to believe these ages are symbolic and not literal.

In ancient Mesopotamia, it was a common practice to ascribe greatness to someone by inflating his lifespan. This is evident in an ancient list of the kings of Sumer (a region in what is modern-day Iraq) that describes rulers who allegedly lived for tens of thousands of years. The earliest king on this list to be confirmed as having an actual historical existence is Enmebaragesi, who was recorded to have lived for 900 years. Another historically verifiable king, Aga of Kish, was recorded to have lived for 625 years.

Since historians don’t discount the existence of these kings despite their inflated lifespans, we should not discount the trustworthiness of the Bible just because it describes people with similar lifespans. These descriptions may be nonliteral ways of ascribing greatness to someone, or, as Scott Hahn and Curtis Mitch say, “this may be simply a literary technique used to assert the remarkable age of the human race itself” (Ignatius Catholic Study Bible entry for genesis).

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It is permissible for Catholics to believe that the long ages of the patriarchs are literal. But practically all Catholic interpreters consider the ages to be meant to teach us a theological truth, that sin brings with it death, expressed symbolically in the constantly decreasing number of years people lived.

Continued below.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
During Bible Study tonight my group was talking about the OT and the 900 year lifespans came up. The general consensus was that people didn’t really live that long. Do Catholics have to believe these lifespans as being literal?
It's not dogma, no. I do think it's fascinating to think about the antediluvian period (pre-flood) and the characteristics of the world prior to that, or at least the speculated characteristics. Like the concept of the firmament and that the it didn't rain but mists rose from the ground.

It's kinda cool to think the world was so much more alien than it is now, and then God suddenly restructured it during the flood to make what we have today.

As far as lifespans go, it's entirely possible the ancient Hebrews and even the figures in the genealogies themselves counted years differently than we do. I mean we know our calendar only comes from the Christian era, for all we know the earliest people in scripture counted days, weeks, months, and years much shorter. Maybe Methusaleh living 969 years was really more like 110 years as we understand them today, we just count everything differently. Or maybe he really did live almost 1,000 years which would be really really cool. We won't know until we see God and can learn about these things.

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟157,138.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
No you do not have to believe that.

Question:​

Did people in the Bible really live to be 900 years old?

Answer:​

The fifth and eleventh chapters of the book of Genesis describe the descendants of Adam, who apparently lived for centuries. These include Adam’s son Seth, who lived to be 920, and Methuselah, who lived a whopping 969 years, making him the oldest person in the Bible.

But don’t these long ages contradict what we know about the average human life span? They certainly are way above average. Being omnipotent, God could have caused these people to live this long, but there is reason to believe these ages are symbolic and not literal.

In ancient Mesopotamia, it was a common practice to ascribe greatness to someone by inflating his lifespan. This is evident in an ancient list of the kings of Sumer (a region in what is modern-day Iraq) that describes rulers who allegedly lived for tens of thousands of years. The earliest king on this list to be confirmed as having an actual historical existence is Enmebaragesi, who was recorded to have lived for 900 years. Another historically verifiable king, Aga of Kish, was recorded to have lived for 625 years.

Since historians don’t discount the existence of these kings despite their inflated lifespans, we should not discount the trustworthiness of the Bible just because it describes people with similar lifespans. These descriptions may be nonliteral ways of ascribing greatness to someone, or, as Scott Hahn and Curtis Mitch say, “this may be simply a literary technique used to assert the remarkable age of the human race itself” (Ignatius Catholic Study Bible entry for genesis).

I don’t understand the last sentence. What does he mean about asserting the remarkable age of the human race itself?

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don’t understand the last sentence. What does he mean about asserting the remarkable age of the human race itself?
My impression is how long the human race itself has been here on earth and our influence.

What is the Anthropocene?​

Human activity has fundamentally changed our planet. We live on every continent and have directly affected at least 83% of the planet’s viable land surface. Our influence has impacted everything from the makeup of ecosystems to the geochemistry of Earth, from the atmosphere to the ocean. Many scientists define this time in the planet’s history by the scale of human influence, and label it as a new geological epoch called the Anthropocene.

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟157,138.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
My impression is how long the human race itself has been here on earth and our influence.

What is the Anthropocene?​

Human activity has fundamentally changed our planet. We live on every continent and have directly affected at least 83% of the planet’s viable land surface. Our influence has impacted everything from the makeup of ecosystems to the geochemistry of Earth, from the atmosphere to the ocean. Many scientists define this time in the planet’s history by the scale of human influence, and label it as a new geological epoch called the Anthropocene.
So, Catholics are free to believe that people didn’t live 900 years?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟157,138.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
@FaithT- you must pour over Genesis quite a lot. It’s one of my favorite books as well. :)
Not really. It’s just that these things I post about have bothered me for a long time and have been a barrier to my faith walk. Then when I was Lutheran, they believed in pretty much everything literally.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not really. It’s just that these things I post about have bothered me for a long time and have been a barrier to my faith walk. Then when I was Lutheran, they believed in pretty much everything literally.
Oh I love Genesis. I have never experienced your struggle but I have often wondered about them.

Upvote 0

JesusFollowerForever

Jan 19, 2024
Quebec
✟10,241.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
During Bible Study tonight my group was talking about the OT and the 900 year lifespans came up. The general consensus was that people didn’t really live that long. Do Catholics have to believe these lifespans as being literal?
yes, take this as literal, God is capable of anything he wishes, later because of man shortcomings, God reduced the lifespan of man to 120 years.

Gen 6:3 And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.
Peace

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JesusFollowerForever

Jan 19, 2024
Quebec
✟10,241.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
some things are not to be taken literally but certainly the first humans lived to 900+ years, why would have they written their ages if it was not accurate, they could count then.
Gen 5:4 And the days of Adam after he had begotten Seth were eight hundred years: and he begat sons and daughters:
Gen 5:5 And all the days that Adam lived were nine hundred and thirty years: and he died.
Gen 5:6 And Seth lived an hundred and five years, and begat Enos:
Gen 5:7 And Seth lived after he begat Enos eight hundred and seven years, and begat sons and daughters:
Gen 5:8 And all the days of Seth were nine hundred and twelve years: and he died.

God has a purpose in everything he does..

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟157,138.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
yes, take this as literal, God is capable of anything he wishes, later because of man shortcomings, God reduced the lifespan of man to 120 years.

Gen 6:3 And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.
Peace
You aren’t Catholic.

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

tz620q

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2007
Carmel, IN
✟575,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There is an old joke about a man that had a conversation with God that went like this,
Man, "God what is 10000 years to you."
God, "It is like a minute."
Man, "God what is a million dollars to you."
God, "It is like a penny."
Man, "God will you give me a penny."
God, "Sure, in a minute."

On a more scientific basis, the definition of year has changed throughout history. So are these ages in the years that that civilization defined or in our current Gregorian years.

Upvote 0