Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
It's just a building. Buildings get built and rebuilt all the time.

Verily.

However, I do have an appreciation for such historical and magnificent Gothic architecture. Not to mention that if this was arson this is an affront, not just to Catholics, but anyone who calls themselves Christians.

Upvote 0

Ttalkkugjil

Social Pastor
Mar 6, 2019
Suwon
✟34,572.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Verily.

However, I do have an appreciation for such historical and magnificent Gothic architecture. Not to mention that if this was arson this is affront, not just to Catholics, but anyone who calls themselves Christians.

That's a big if.

Upvote 0

nChrist

AKA: Tom - Saved By Grace Through Faith
Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm a Christian, and I recognize Notre-Dame as one of the most beautiful buildings in the world. It was a spectacular masterpiece of construction. I haven't even mentioned all of the breath-taking art that was also burned up in the fire. In short, it is a great loss to the entire world - regardless of your religious affiliation. This makes me very sad.

Upvote 0

Ttalkkugjil

Social Pastor
Mar 6, 2019
Suwon
✟34,572.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
The second Temple was just a building. Nothing important about it.

The true temples we should be concerned about are our bodies. They're the Spirit's temple. She dwells within.

• Agree
Reactions: paul1149
Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,975.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The true temples we should be concerned about are our bodies. They're the Spirit's temple. She dwells within.

The spirit which indwells a body has indwelled in multiple bodies in the Notre-Dame Cathedral. It has been a place of worship for 800 or so years where the Sacrament has been performed constantly. Does that count for nothing? Does the effort of the artist to glorify God through that edifice count for nothing?

I can't take this attitude all that seriously because I don't anyone but the purest ascetic actually believes that buildings or material objects aren't that important.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ttalkkugjil

Social Pastor
Mar 6, 2019
Suwon
✟34,572.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
The spirit which indwells a body has indwelled in multiple bodies in the Notre-Dame Cathedral. It has been a place of worship for 800 or so years where the Sacrament has been performed constantly. Does that count for nothing? Does the effort of the artist to glorify God through that edifice count for nothing?

I can't take this attitude all that seriously because I don't anyone but the purest ascetic actually believes that buildings or material objects aren't that important.

The past is the past.

Fun fact about buildings - new buildings can be made.

Fun fact about art - new art can be created.

Neither building nor artwork are required for the Sacrament to be administered.

Upvote 0

derpytia

Compassion.
Site Supporter
Feb 22, 2016
United States
✟287,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
The cathedral may just be a building but it is also the object that has been a part of human life for hundreds of years. Historians, clergy, researchers, and scholars found Notre Dame to be a source of inspiration, knowledge, and even a livelihood.

Just because you personally don't find it a great loss doesn't mean that other people don't as well. God gave gifts of learning and love of history and architecture to many people. This comes as quite a blow to some people. We should mourn with those who mourn and not cast judgement on them.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Matthew 6:19 “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,975.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
People are the temple. God doesnt care about buildings. Hes impressed by those who obey Him, not with Gothic architecture

The idea of God being completely ambivalent towards human achievement, or that he doesn't value that which humans do to worship or honour him (Cathedrals are built for his glory) seems without merit to me. The Temple of Solomon might not have compared to Christ, but it's construction was still ordered and it was an important building where the Shekinah dwelt along with the Ark of the Covenant. Were these things we should treat with apathy?

Your taking the importance of he human Temple to a ridiculous, almost Gnostic degree of importance, when you belittle anything material as not being worth God's consideration. Yes the human temple is more important, but that doesn't mean the physical building is unimportant. If Christians as a whole believed that they would not live in homes, set aside worship spaces and gather weekly in them. They wouldn't have material possessions period.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The idea of God being completely ambivalent towards human achievement, or that he doesn't value that which humans do to worship or honour him (Cathedrals are built for his glory) seems without merit to me. The Temple of Solomon might not have compared to Christ, but it's construction was still ordered and it was an important building where the Shekinah dwelt along with the Ark of the Covenant. Were these things we should treat with apathy?

Your taking the importance of he human Temple to a ridiculous, almost Gnostic degree of importance, when you belittle anything material as not being worth God's consideration. Yes the human temple is more important, but that doesn't mean the physical building is unimportant. If Christians as a whole believed that they would not live in homes, set aside worship spaces and gather weekly in them. They wouldn't have material possessions period.
Your taking the importance of he human Temple to a ridiculous, almost Gnostic degree of importance,
No, you are taking a building to a carnal degree.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,975.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
No, you are taking a building to a carnal degree.

I don't believe I've taken anything to a carnal degree, I have only suggested buildings like Notre Dame are more important than you give them credit for.

Notice I admitted your premise that the human temple is worth more, but where you err is that you suggest physical buildings are therefore worthless. Which i think does in some way a disservice to God who put us on this material world with minds of creativity to actually allow us to build such things in the first place.

God gave us seemingly a boundless intelligence and we shouldn't use this for his glory? Is the work of our hands therefore meaningless? Does whatever we out of a desire to be creative, to build something that will last (this can be anything like a book or building or whatever). really count for nothing?

Upvote 0