Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Win at dinner by using your slow cooker properly.

The slow cooker is a staple tool in the home kitchen, especially if you have a big family or like to meal prep. It makes it possible (and safe!) to cook entire meals unattended, allowing you to free up other areas of the kitchen or tackle the day's to-do list. However, slow cooking isn't as simple as tossing in ingredients and pressing a button. There are important steps and techniques that are often overlooked, especially by those who are accustomed to stovetop or oven cooking. These errors can yield a watery and flavorless meal—but the good news is that they're easy to prevent.

We asked chefs and cooking teachers to explain what you should never do while slow cooking food, plus ways to avoid the most common slow cooker mistakes.

1. Adding Delicate Vegetables Too Early​

Continued below.

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟567,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I used to cringe when I saw pull the slow cooker out. He had the habit of putting some stuff in it in the morning and ignoring it all day. When it came to supper time, the food was obliterated - which he seemed to enjoy. I think Granny used her's the same way. I got the actual Crock Pot company cookbook some years ago and it was a revelation to me that typically, most stuff gets done in 4 hours or so.

Upvote 0