Sep 30, 2004
✟83,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Deu 31:19 Now therefore write ye this song for you, and teach it the children of Israel: put it in their mouths, that this song may be a witness for me against the children of Israel.

Have any of you done this? I've been reading how Jews fulfill this commandment, and wondering if Messianics do this, too.
In the KJV it looks like Moses was supposed to write the song, but reading about it, it is considered a commandment for all the children of Israel.

As for me, I don't think it is an obligation for me because I am not Jewish, but I was thinking the other day about how when you write out something by hand, as opposed to just reading it, or typing it, it's like you put a bit of yourself into it. (That's my theory, anyway, because God wrote the ten commandments with His finger Ex. 31:18 when He could've used laser etching or some high tech way we've never even thought of.)

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Deu 31:19 Now therefore write ye this song for you, and teach it the children of Israel: put it in their mouths, that this song may be a witness for me against the children of Israel.

Have any of you done this? I've been reading how Jews fulfill this commandment, and wondering if Messianics do this, too.
In the KJV it looks like Moses was supposed to write the song, but reading about it, it is considered a commandment for all the children of Israel.

As for me, I don't think it is an obligation for me because I am not Jewish, but I was thinking the other day about how when you write out something by hand, as opposed to just reading it, or typing it, it's like you put a bit of yourself into it. (That's my theory, anyway, because God wrote the ten commandments with His finger Ex. 31:18 when He could've used laser etching or some high tech way we've never even thought of.)
Not all the Israelites were Jewish. And, their were foreigners with them when this was read to them. And those foreigners, those non-Israelites who attached themselves to the God of Israel coming out of Egypt, had three interesting things said about them.

1. They were to assimilate (my word) into the tribes they traveled with
2. The Law was given to the Israelite AND the foreigner with them
3. They were to be treated as native born

We might not be Jewish, but ultimately we are part of Israel. Not a replacement like the church sees themselves as, but simply a part of the family in the same way the foreigners were coming out of Egypt. If I am correct, then... perhaps some of the things that you don't think are for you, are?

• Agree
Reactions: Soyeong
Upvote 0

chunkofcoal

Messianic Christian
Sep 30, 2004
✟83,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
<Staff Edit>

I found this site many years ago http://www.musicfromgod.com/
and bought the CD "Music from God: Days of Majesty" and just love it. The scriptures are set to music based on the Hebrew letters. I think it is beautiful that there is music in the words.

Upvote 0

chunkofcoal

Messianic Christian
Sep 30, 2004
✟83,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not all the Israelites were Jewish. And, their were foreigners with them when this was read to them. And those foreigners, those non-Israelites who attached themselves to the God of Israel coming out of Egypt, had three interesting things said about them.

1. They were to assimilate (my word) into the tribes they traveled with
2. The Law was given to the Israelite AND the foreigner with them
3. They were to be treated as native born

We might not be Jewish, but ultimately we are part of Israel. Not a replacement like the church sees themselves as, but simply a part of the family in the same way the foreigners were coming out of Egypt. If I am correct, then... perhaps some of the things that you don't think are for you, are?
What commandments are binding on gentiles has been a debate since the days of the Apostles. Some commandments I don't think are an obligation for gentiles, but that doesn't mean they don't keep them anyway. I think this says a lot:
2Ti 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

So have you written yourself a copy of the song?

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What commandments are binding on gentiles has been a debate since the days of the Apostles. Some commandments I don't think are an obligation for gentiles, but that doesn't mean they don't keep them anyway. I think this says a lot:
2Ti 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

So have you written yourself a copy of the song?
The verse you quote above is talking about the Torah and Prophets. :) When Paul wrote, there was no NT and it would be another 150 years before his letters would be compiled and, with the other books, included in what we call the NT. Anyway... have I hand written it? No, but I have copies and that was the point. Have a copy so it would be before you at all times... and I have many copies.

• Agree
Reactions: Soyeong
Upvote 0

chunkofcoal

Messianic Christian
Sep 30, 2004
✟83,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The verse you quote above is talking about the Torah and Prophets. :) When Paul wrote, there was no NT and it would be another 150 years before his letters would be compiled and, with the other books, included in what we call the NT. Anyway... have I hand written it? No, but I have copies and that was the point. Have a copy so it would be before you at all times... and I have many copies.
"The verse you quote above is talking about the Torah and Prophets. :)"
Yep!

The scripture does say to write it:
kâthab

kaw-thab'
A primitive root; to grave; by implication to write (describe, inscribe, prescribe, subscribe): - describe, record, prescribe, subscribe, write (-ing, -ten).

I do get your point, but if your point is correct then that means the King doesn't have to write a copy of the Torah himself, either.
And it shall be, when he sitteth upon the throne of his kingdom, that he shall write him a copy of this law in a book out of that which is before the priests the Levites: (Deu 17:18)

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"The verse you quote above is talking about the Torah and Prophets. :)"
Yep!

The scripture does say to write it:
kâthab

kaw-thab'
A primitive root; to grave; by implication to write (describe, inscribe, prescribe, subscribe): - describe, record, prescribe, subscribe, write (-ing, -ten).

I do get your point, but if your point is correct then that means the King doesn't have to write a copy of the Torah himself, either.
And it shall be, when he sitteth upon the throne of his kingdom, that he shall write him a copy of this law in a book out of that which is before the priests the Levites: (Deu 17:18)
There is no King of Israel today and won't be until Yeshua returns. :) At that point, the work of writing that song and all the rest of the Torah on our hearts will be complete. Until then, I don't see a reason to get hung up on this commandment. I have it in eform and written form hundreds of times... it is more at my finger tips that a printed copy would have been back then because I carry devices that can pull it up faster than you can get to and open a scroll... so there isn't an issue here for me at all. If there is for you, that's between you and God. :)

Be blessed.
Ken

Upvote 0

chunkofcoal

Messianic Christian
Sep 30, 2004
✟83,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is no King of Israel today and won't be until Yeshua returns. :) At that point, the work of writing that song and all the rest of the Torah on our hearts will be complete. Until then, I don't see a reason to get hung up on this commandment. I have it in eform and written form hundreds of times... it is more at my finger tips that a printed copy would have been back then because I carry devices that can pull it up faster than you can get to and open a scroll... so there isn't an issue here for me at all. If there is for you, that's between you and God. :)

Be blessed.
Ken
I'm not hung up on that commandment: I was just asking if anyone kept it. Like I said, I've been reading how the Jews fulfill it, so I've seen the debates. :)

As for what else you said, if Yeshua was the King of Israel when He was here, isn't He still the King of Israel? So we can't say "there is no King of Israel today". And as for the rest of what you said, take a look at what you wrote: and won't be until Yeshua returns. :) At that point, the work of writing that song and all the rest of the Torah on our hearts will be complete.

Bless His heart, I think He is busy!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm not hung up on that commandment: I was just asking if anyone kept it. Like I said, I've been reading how the Jews fulfill it, so I've seen the debates. :)

As for what else you said, if Yeshua was the King of Israel when He was here, isn't He still the King of Israel? So we can't say "there is no King of Israel today". And as for the rest of what you said, take a look at what you wrote: and won't be until Yeshua returns. :) At that point, the work of writing that song and all the rest of the Torah on our hearts will be complete.

Bless His heart, I think He is busy!
There is no King of Israel in place right now. He "will" set up a Kingdom and rule from Jerusalem. Right now it is a secular nation. That's why I say that. And... the society there is not a Torah observant society. They have secular laws, they are not using God's laws as their rule of law as Israel once did. Therefore, the playing field isn't the same, at this time.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,022.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
<Staff Edit>

In James 2:1-10, he was speaking to people who had already sinned, so he was not telling them that they needed to have perfect obedience or trying to warn them away from seeking to obey the Law, but rather he was encouraging them to repent and do a better job of obeying the Law more consistently by not showing favoritism. In Deuteronomy 30:11-14, God said that what He commanded was not too difficult for His children to obey, and I believe him, do you?

Upvote 0

chunkofcoal

Messianic Christian
Sep 30, 2004
✟83,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is no King of Israel in place right now. He "will" set up a Kingdom and rule from Jerusalem. Right now it is a secular nation. That's why I say that. And... the society there is not a Torah observant society. They have secular laws, they are not using God's laws as their rule of law as Israel once did. Therefore, the playing field isn't the same, at this time.
We are both right. Yeshua is still King but ^ -what you said in the above post. :)

(It's good sometimes to expand on ideas we post for those who happen to read them.)

Shabbat Shalom.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,022.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
<Staff Edit>

There is a difference between a prophetic message and adding to or subtracting from what God commanded. So if someone were trying to say that is no longer a sin to disobey something that God commanded or to say that it is now a sin to something that was not in accordance with what God commanded, then they would adding to or subtracting from what God commanded, but not if they were given a prophecy. In Deuteronomy 13:4-5, the way that God instructed His people to determine that someone was a false prophet who was not speaking for Him is if they taught against obeying what He had commanded.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums