40 day fasts, whos done one?

fathomn

Jan 15, 2007
✟15,216.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I cant really take credit for it. I know that I did it and all but if God hadnt put it there for me to do and urged me along, man He held my hand the entire way really, it wouldve never been done.

I just hope that my experience can lead anyone closer to the God and the greatness, awesomeness and the total ability to let go in such a great God. If any of that has been accomplished it was worth the effort of it. If not it was just some guy being weird....which Im entirely okay with as well.;)

Upvote 0

phoenixgw

Dec 21, 2006
Sojourner
✟940.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I began fasting when I first came to know the Lord. I read a little bit about it in Celebration of Discipline by Richard J. Foster. This book was my spiritual primer, you might say.

I began by skipping meals for a day and drinking lots of water. The 'food fantasies' would arrive at about 4pm. I found that I became more aware of the things that irritated me and the things that I didn't like about my character. I would pray to the Lord to take these parts of my life and shape me into the person he wanted me to be. My most profound insights about my character flaws usually came AFTER I broke my fast. I would fly off the handle at the smallest irritations. I guess the flesh didn't take too kindly to being deprived.

I did these fasts weekly for a couple of years before I decided to do a ten day fast. It was here that I began to experience a greater sensistivity to my body's operation and my surroundings. After about 3 days, the hunger pains subsided and the unpleasantries associated with dextoxification took over (headaches, fatigue, bodyaches, etc.). I felt like I was 1000 years old. A trip to the corner felt like 5 miles. I mostly stayed at home praying and studying.

After the detox period, I could hear my heart beat & I could taste the fillings in my teeth. Footsteps a hundred yards away sounded like they were right behind me. A trip to the supermarket overwhelmed my senses as the multitude of colours jumped out at me. After I broke my fast, I felt vibrant and alive. I found this length of fast (10-12 days) to be most beneficial in terms of spiritual and physical well-being. Onto the desert fast.

I had decided at this point that I would embark on the "desert fast" like told in the Gospels. As preparation, I did a herbal cleanse for 2 weeks to eliminate toxins. I wanted to this to be a purely spiritual experience without the interference of toxins. God was my constant companion & I did not feel tempted or attacked in any way. During day 12 the hunger pains completely disappeared. I felt like a ghost drifting effortlessly from place to place with total calm and awareness of my surroundings. Life and mind were crystal clear. Thoughts were effortless echoes of my prayers, which were constant. After several days, the hunger pains returned.

This is what Jesus experienced at the end of his fast--it indicates that one is at the point of starvation. Your body starts consuming living tissue (muscle, organs, etc.). I was at the point of temptation, right where I wanted to be like in Matthew 4. I felt like I was going to die. Every step I took I felt like it was going to be my last. Terror surrounded me like a cocoon. Death was lurking at every corner, waiting to take me. Voices, hallucinations--it was a living nightmare. I continued like this for about 2 days when I was met by a sharp rebuke from the Father. I was led to Isaiah 58 and shown what type of fast pleased the Lord. I was deeply humbled by this and have since dedicated my life to helping others. The road has been hard and often lonely, but I know of no other way to live.

Fasting continues to be an important part of my spiritual walk with the Lord. It doesn't directly bring me closer to God--it shows me how far I am away so that I know what to pray for. I recommend the study/exercise of fasting for everyone who wants to deepen their relationship with God.

Upvote 0

fathomn

Jan 15, 2007
✟15,216.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I began fasting when I first came to know the Lord. I read a little bit about it in Celebration of Discipline by Richard J. Foster. This book was my spiritual primer, you might say.

I began by skipping meals for a day and drinking lots of water. The 'food fantasies' would arrive at about 4pm. I found that I became more aware of the things that irritated me and the things that I didn't like about my character. I would pray to the Lord to take these parts of my life and shape me into the person he wanted me to be. My most profound insights about my character flaws usually came AFTER I broke my fast. I would fly off the handle at the smallest irritations. I guess the flesh didn't take too kindly to being deprived.

I did these fasts weekly for a couple of years before I decided to do a ten day fast. It was here that I began to experience a greater sensistivity to my body's operation and my surroundings. After about 3 days, the hunger pains subsided and the unpleasantries associated with dextoxification took over (headaches, fatigue, bodyaches, etc.). I felt like I was 1000 years old. A trip to the corner felt like 5 miles. I mostly stayed at home praying and studying.

After the detox period, I could hear my heart beat & I could taste the fillings in my teeth. Footsteps a hundred yards away sounded like they were right behind me. A trip to the supermarket overwhelmed my senses as the multitude of colours jumped out at me. After I broke my fast, I felt vibrant and alive. I found this length of fast (10-12 days) to be most beneficial in terms of spiritual and physical well-being. Onto the desert fast.

I had decided at this point that I would embark on the "desert fast" like told in the Gospels. As preparation, I did a herbal cleanse for 2 weeks to eliminate toxins. I wanted to this to be a purely spiritual experience without the interference of toxins. God was my constant companion & I did not feel tempted or attacked in any way. During day 12 the hunger pains completely disappeared. I felt like a ghost drifting effortlessly from place to place with total calm and awareness of my surroundings. Life and mind were crystal clear. Thoughts were effortless echoes of my prayers, which were constant. After several days, the hunger pains returned.

This is what Jesus experienced at the end of his fast--it indicates that one is at the point of starvation. Your body starts consuming living tissue (muscle, organs, etc.). I was at the point of temptation, right where I wanted to be like in Matthew 4. I felt like I was going to die. Every step I took I felt like it was going to be my last. Terror surrounded me like a cocoon. Death was lurking at every corner, waiting to take me. Voices, hallucinations--it was a living nightmare. I continued like this for about 2 days when I was met by a sharp rebuke from the Father. I was led to Isaiah 58 and shown what type of fast pleased the Lord. I was deeply humbled by this and have since dedicated my life to helping others. The road has been hard and often lonely, but I know of no other way to live.

Fasting continues to be an important part of my spiritual walk with the Lord. It doesn't directly bring me closer to God--it shows me how far I am away so that I know what to pray for. I recommend the study/exercise of fasting for everyone who wants to deepen their relationship with God.
Thank you for sharing that.

Much of the imagery was spot on to mine as well. Like knowing your body is dying around you especially. Im quite surprised that God led you away from the fast in the end. What triggered that or what was the personal revelations regarding this form God to you?
Also the idea of prayer being an extension of your thoughts....boy howdy do I know that one. I was even praying in my sleep after my fast. It was like I was jack straight and mainlining God for several years afterwards. Sounds neat my friend.:thumbsup:

Upvote 0