4,000 Families Threaten to Leave Toronto Catholic Schools Over Gay Equity Policy...

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,680,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
TORONTO, Ontario, July 29, 2011 (LifeSiteNews.com) – The Coptic Orthodox Churches in Toronto are threatening to withdraw 4,000 families from the Toronto Catholic District School Board if it does not amend its controversial equity policy to protect Catholic teaching in the schools. According to one expert in Ontario education, if the threat were carried out, the board could lose upwards of $40,000,000 in annual public funding, and over 150 teachers.

If the board implements its policy, wrote Fr. Jeremiah Attaalla on June 22nd, “we will not hesitate to withdraw our children at once from attending any Catholic school within Toronto or [the Greater Toronto Area].”

The equity policy, passed earlier this year as part of the Ontario government’s sweeping equity and inclusive education strategy, has sparked an unprecedented mobilization of parents who fear that it will give homosexual activists a foothold in order to further subvert already weak Catholic sexual teaching in the schools.

In August the board will be considering a set of amendments to the policy promoted by trustee John Del Grande and Angela Kennedy to ensure that equity and inclusion are interpreted consistently with Catholic teaching.
Fr. Attaalla wrote in his letter, which was addressed to Director of Education Ann Perron, that they will withdraw their children “if the requested amendments are not implemented.” He said the amendments are “faithful to the teachings of the Catechism of the Catholic Church.”

Continued- http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/showdown-4000-families-threaten-to-leave-toronto-catholic-schools-over-gay

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't blame them one bit. The homosexual rights activists are taking things way too far. We never should have legalized gay "marriage" anywhere at all. Gays do have rights like we do but they most certainly should not have the right to get "married". A gay couple cannot even get married. It is impossible. They certainly can't get married in the eyes of God. That is what I mean when I say they cannot get married. They can get "married" in the eyes of the government but they will never be "married" in my eyes. I hope and pray that the laws allowing gay "marriage" will be overturned as soon possible.

Upvote 0

Tigg

Senior Veteran
Jan 5, 2007
✟17,774.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Lots of issues. I can not blame the Coptic Church in Toronto. I think, if I member rightly, when we lived in Canada we choose where our education tax went - public or Catholic. Prayers are with the Canadians for sure. (And I would like to know more about what those Canadians on here think - they are in the know.)

A poll on what Canadians think. And I can see problems with the whole thing. Schools - public or private. Their are a lot of private schools I would not want to fund.

Most Canadians oppose public funding of religious schools - The Search

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Diane_Windsor

Senior Contributor
Jun 29, 2004
✟27,907.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, this is a big issue across the Ontario. It is making the gay community really angry. They call for de-funding of Catholic schools, etc.

:confused: In Canada are religious schools partially paid for by the taxpayers? Otherwise, why would the gay community be upset? Are the Church of England parochial schools supported by public funds too? In the United States our First Amendment generally prohibits these sorts of things.

Upvote 0

Gwendolyn

back in black
Jan 28, 2005
Canada
✟20,680.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
:confused: In Canada are religious schools partially paid for by the taxpayers? Otherwise, why would the gay community be upset? Are the Church of England parochial schools supported by public funds too? In the United States our First Amendment generally prohibits these sorts of things.

In Canada, families can choose whether their taxes will be used to fund the Catholic system or the public system. No one who does not want to fund the Catholic system is mandated to do so. Catholic education is mandated in the British North American act of 1867. It is part of our constitution. Some provinces have put an end to the Catholic school system, but Ontario, Alberta, Saskatchewan, and the Northwest Territories have kept it alive and well.

Upvote 0

MoNiCa4316

Totus Tuus
Jun 28, 2007
✟34,687.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I can't speak for Canada but here in America if you want public money, you follow public laws. The Catholic school district get public money so.....

they shouldn't be asked to go against Catholic teaching. And the Catholic parents who send their kids to these schools are paying the taxes too. With the way it's going, if I were a parent I'd homeschool or send my kids to private Catholic school.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums