Dave Darling

Jan 10, 2016
Harrisburg, PA
✟117,416.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I found something very interesting on Youtube, it is a documentary on the third crusade. King Richard the Lionheart of England squared off against the Muslim leader Saladin in holy war to control the holy city of Jerusalem. This is an awesome history lesson and is important to watch in order to understand current events in the middle east, the middle eastern arabs are still bitter about the crusades to this day! This video is 1hr and 30mins but is a good watch! The link to the video is below, you can paste the link into your web browser:

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
If you study the Crusades and just how bitterly savage and cruel they were, you'd know why the people of the Middle East, and certainly not just the Muslim population, are still bitter about the Crusades.

Here are first and second hand accounts from the First Crusade, of what happened after the Siege of Ma'arra,

"Some people said that, constrained by the lack of food, they boiled pagan adults in cooking-pots, impaled children on spits and devoured them grilled." - Rudolph of Caen, from his chronicle, Gesta Tancredi

"I shudder to tell that many of our people, harassed by the madness of excessive hunger, cut pieces from the buttocks of the Saracens already dead there, which they cooked, but when it was not yet roasted enough by the fire, they devoured it with savage mouth." - Fulcher of Chartres, from his chronicle, Gesta Francorum

"[T]he Christians did not shrink from eating not only killed Turks or Saracens, but even creeping dogs..." - Albert of Aix, from his Historia

These are the accounts of Christians who participated in the First Crusade, who either witnessed these things for themselves or were aware of these horrors.

There's a reason why the Crusades bring bitter memories to the people of the Middle East. As the Crusades involved the slaughter of innocents, men, women, children, animals; Muslims, Jews, Samaritans, and even other Christians were all victims of the Crusades.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,975.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
If you study the Crusades and just how bitterly savage and cruel they were, you'd know why the people of the Middle East, and certainly not just the Muslim population, are still bitter about the Crusades.

Here are first and second hand accounts from the First Crusade, of what happened after the Siege of Ma'arra,

"Some people said that, constrained by the lack of food, they boiled pagan adults in cooking-pots, impaled children on spits and devoured them grilled." - Rudolph of Caen, from his chronicle, Gesta Tancredi

"I shudder to tell that many of our people, harassed by the madness of excessive hunger, cut pieces from the buttocks of the Saracens already dead there, which they cooked, but when it was not yet roasted enough by the fire, they devoured it with savage mouth." - Fulcher of Chartres, from his chronicle, Gesta Francorum

"[T]he Christians did not shrink from eating not only killed Turks or Saracens, but even creeping dogs..." - Albert of Aix, from his Historia

These are the accounts of Christians who participated in the First Crusade, who either witnessed these things for themselves or were aware of these horrors.

There's a reason why the Crusades bring bitter memories to the people of the Middle East. As the Crusades involved the slaughter of innocents, men, women, children, animals; Muslims, Jews, Samaritans, and even other Christians were all victims of the Crusades.

-CryptoLutheran

Except the idea of the Crusades being a bitter memory for Middle Easterners is a novel one. At least from what I've read in Thomas F Madden's work on the crusades. Muslims in the Middle East until the period of Colonialism didn't really care too much about the legacy of the crusades, preferring instead to focus on the catastrophe which was the Mongols.

I'm willing to admit quite a bit of cruelty done by the Crusaders but let's not pretend that the Muslims who had for centuries been invading and raiding Christian lands have any right to be especially offended by the crusades. Any such complaint or bitter memory is pathetic on the part of Muslims and they need to get over it and realize they are the historical aggressors.

Had the crusades succeeded the Middle East would be better off.

It reminds me of that Imam who demanded Spain apologize for the Reconquista. How about no.

Upvote 0