Learning to thrive
Sep 30, 2005
Where the Lord wants me
✟26,473.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
We have the 40 hour famine over here but the rules I assume are the same. For younger participants they say they can give up something they love for 40 hours rather than food such as TV or video games to keep it safer. I did enjoy it in the past but now i just donate money as I am way too lazy (and irritable if I don't eat). I like to have eucalyptus and honey lollies instead of barley sugar as I ate too many the first year I did it. But yeah, it was great fun and a good cause.

Upvote 0

awashinlove

all encompassingly. ~Mitch Hedberg
Mar 17, 2005
Visit site
✟10,445.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
I love how every participant acknowledges the 3HF with different activities. The folks I work with have local Christian bands out, do some fund-raising and volunteer work (with the cards the leader should get on lanyards to keep those around us donating :holy: ), and top off a busy 30 hours with wonderful fellowship and scripture reading - it truly is one of my favorite benefits. Is your daughter working with World Vision?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

scraparcs

aka Mayor McCheese
Mar 4, 2002
Massachusetts
✟91,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Yep, I did it back in the stone age. The problem was that we did it the same weekend as a state science competition so everyone was at fast food places chowing down while the rest of everyone was all hanging out foodlessly!

Anyway, it was a valuable experience!

Upvote 0

Spicy McHaggis

I don't know nothin 'bout birthin no babies
Apr 30, 2002
Chicagoland
✟29,799.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
BlessedJourney said:
you lost me :sorry:

I'm just hoping someone can give a clifs notes explanation of what/why the 30 hour famine.

So far everyone's just agreeing that it's a good thing to do.

Me? I'm still on the onramp to the information superhighway in a 1972 Pinto hatchback with a brown door and a missing hubcap.

Upvote 0

Beauty4Ashes

All that I need, is a song in my heart. . .
Feb 5, 2004
Visit site
✟28,095.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I did it when I was a teenager and actually raised quite a bit of money...don't remember how much but I know I won a bunch of free stuff like tshirts and hats and a clock and jumping rope, etc.... so i must've done something right!

My stomach was totally shrunken afterwards though. So don't plan on eating a huge meal when you are finished....lol :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums