Should we be homophobic, islamophobic, and xenophobic?

• YES

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • NO

Votes: 25 86.2%

• Total voters

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
"Phobia" means 'fear of," not 'being against.' So.....................................?
The original word was homophobia, and it described a behavior in which men with latent desires to have intimate encounters with other men, would overcompensate by reacting violently against homosexuals.
Homophobia meant fear of being a homosexual, and it came to explain all opposition to homosexuality by suggesting that anyone who is against homosexuality is therefore a closet gay. It was an ironic slur.
It is pseudo science and pop psychology at best. It may, or may not, describe the psychology of some men, but it certainly does not describe the reasons that many people oppose, say, gay marriage.
Nevertheless, it has been co-opted by the left in order to dismiss anyone who is against the gay agenda as bigots.

Islamophobia is not even a real word. Literally, it is a meaningless term. Its usage comes about by one identity group trying to take advantage of being seen as a victim group in our society by assuming the label of another victim group, namely homosexuals. Like orange is the new black, Muslims are the new homosexuals. That is what islamophobia means.
Nobody is literally afraid of being secretly a Muslim and thereby violently react against dread through lashing out at Muslims. To the extent that people are afraid of Islamism, it has to do with crashing planes into buildings, and sharia law. It is kind of like being afraid of communism or fascism, or any other prominent isms that we who believe in freedom are trying to oppose.

Xenophobia is a real word, and a real thing. Fear of strangers is encoded into our DNA. In tribal societies, there was survival value to this. In pluralistic societies, such as Jesus lived in, it was something to be overcome through accepting his Spirit into our lives, and coming to recognize that the Lord of all creation is Lord of all mankind, even those who do not look like us.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Archie the Preacher

Apostle to the Intellectual Skeptics
Apr 11, 2003
Hastings, Nebraska - the Heartland!
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
The term 'phobia' according to a quick web search means:
an extreme or irrational fear of or aversion to something

If one is afraid or adverse to dangling by one arm off a cliff, one is NOT acrophobic; one is very rationally fearful of falling a great distance and smashing themselves to death on the ground below.

The expectation that certain members of DAESH or ISIS will enter the country for the purpose of killing and maiming U. S. citizens or residents, destroying infrastructure such as buildings, bridges and such IS NOT an irrational 'fear' of all things Islamic.

Conducting a background check on all those who want to enter the U. S. to screen out criminals, terrorists or other villains is not 'phobia' of anything. It is an entirely rational concept.

Standing against revamping all laws to allow and encourage improper sexual activity is not homophobic nor fornicationphobic. It is taking a stand for something, not against it.

Enforcing the immigration laws of the United States is not xenophobic.

What is xenophobic is the reaction to the election of President Trump. Those who protest and riot are fearful of him as he is "not one of them".

Christianity teaches none of these things. To claim it does is to focus on some misconduct by some Christians and attempt to portray that as doctrine.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Archie the Preacher

Apr 11, 2003
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Fear triggers the flight or fight response, and may be necessary for you to take a stand and fight against evil...
Neo, I think that is the primary difference between 'fear' (in the truest sense) and 'phobia'. Fear is rational, there is a reason for it. Phobia is irrational, there may or may not be a valid immediate cause for flight or fight, AND the reaction is usually excessive - the 'freeze up' response.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Neo, I think that is the primary difference between 'fear' (in the truest sense) and 'phobia'. Fear is rational, there is a reason for it. Phobia is irrational, there may or may not be a valid immediate cause for flight or fight, AND the reaction is usually excessive - the 'freeze up' response.
Kinda goes back to my post #98: 3 "phobic" VALUES OF GOD

Where I mentioned not trying to go against it, if you don't have a valid, sound, reasonable, logical reason for being against it, and not an irrational, illogical, or unreasonable ones...

With my disorder, I have many fears, some valid, but a lot, not, and do the "freeze up" thing quite a bit in those situations, it is a fear of evil, but sometimes I think almost everything is evil, other times, not so much, and I go back and forth...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

ken777

"to live is Christ, and to die is gain"
Aug 6, 2007
Australia
✟48,308.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I suffer from photophobia (light sensitivity) so it is important not to lump all phobias in the fear or hatred basket.

I am happy to wear the homophobia label as long as it refers to behavior, and not the person. Love the sinner, hate the sin.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I agree that a deliberate effort to change the meaning of words already extant and to create new words that further changes is wrong, but embracing those words and calling them "godly" endorses those words and distorts how God views those things. God loves all people. Evil is overcome by good, not another evil. I try not to refer to a homosexual as "gay" since that is a euphemism that twists and destroys the happy meaning of "gay". In discussing what homosexuality is, I call it perversion, and the practitioner a pervert.

However that is never the focal point of my conversation because I will also point out that masturbation, fornication, and adultery of heterosexuals are also perversions and such practitioners are also perverts. I will also admit that before I became a Christian I masturbated and committed fornication, thus I was a pervert, too.

Our goal as followers of Christ is to speak the truth in love by demonstrating the goodness of the Lord to others. We are to be wise concerning good, and simple concerning evil. Speaking the truth always causes conflict with the people who hide from the truth, so our intention is to bring truth without fanning those flames.

Doesn't pervert mean a person who commits perversions with children?

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No. Perversion means more than that. This is from the Online Etymological Dictionary:
perversion (n.)
late 14c., "action of turning aside from truth, corruption, distortion" (originally of religious beliefs), from Latin perversionem (nominative perversio) "a turning about," noun of action from past participle stem of pervertere (see pervert (v.)). Psychological sense of "disorder of sexual behavior in which satisfaction is sought through channels other than those of normal heterosexual intercourse" is from 1892, originally including homosexuality.
While the main connotation is sexual perversion, it is not limited to that. Any thing that is twisted outside what God intends is perversion. Consider what Peter said about people who twist the writings of Paul:

(KJV) As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.​

The Greek word translated as "wrest" is strebloō of which Strongs (G4761) defines as:

to wrench, that is, (specifically) to torture (by the rack), but only figuratively to pervert: - wrest.​

Reactions: fat wee robin
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

fat wee robin

Jan 12, 2015
✟47,420.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
THE DIFFERENCE IS, it seems to be like an irrational fear. That is how the "phobic" claim actually works.

And it may be true.

Does not mean it IS an irrational fear.
It is not an irrational fear for the first 2, as they are being promoted in order to bring disorder . As for the last one ,it is not a christian value to hate another peoples ,without very good reason .

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
No. Perversion means more than that. This is from the Online Etymological Dictionary:
perversion (n.)
late 14c., "action of turning aside from truth, corruption, distortion" (originally of religious beliefs), from Latin perversionem (nominative perversio) "a turning about," noun of action from past participle stem of pervertere (see pervert (v.)). Psychological sense of "disorder of sexual behavior in which satisfaction is sought through channels other than those of normal heterosexual intercourse" is from 1892, originally including homosexuality.
While the main connotation is sexual perversion, it is not limited to that. Any thing that is twisted outside what God intends is perversion. Consider what Peter said about people who twist the writings of Paul:

(KJV) As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.​

The Greek word translated as "wrest" is strebloō of which Strongs (G4761) defines as:

to wrench, that is, (specifically) to torture (by the rack), but only figuratively to pervert: - wrest.​

Isn't that a technicality?

Are there other things that can only be a certain way? People who argue for homosexuality don't argue men and women should stop marrying and having families, they argue other options should be accepted.

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Isn't that a technicality?

Are there other things that can only be a certain way? People who argue for homosexuality don't argue men and women should stop marrying and having families, they argue other options should be accepted.

No it is not a technicality. When heterosexuals fornicate when not married, or commit adultery when they are married, or even when they touch, they are perverting the use of sex as intended by God.

Likewise, with Peter's comment, when people try to make the Bible say what it does not say, they are perverse and thus are biblical perverts. That is not the same as those who do so out of confusion or misunderstanding. Jude makes this distinction in his epistle regarding willful wolves in sheep's clothing and confused and easily swayed people.

Reactions: SolomonVII
Upvote 0

danstribe

Mar 30, 2013
✟24,205.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Excuse me, but the first people in America weren't even Christians. They were the ancestors of American Indians. But of the European settlers, not all were escaping religious persecution. In fact large sections of the south had a state church, usually the Church of England (what later became the Episcopal Church). So what you are describing is not typical of all early American settlers. In fact the earliest American colony was started in Virginia with profit as the only motive.
I was referring to the religious motives of people immigrating here since we were talking about religion and immigrants so naturally I did not refer to Native Americans nor to those who came for business profit. And I didn't say all.

Upvote 0

SilverBear

Sep 2, 2016
Michigan
✟166,106.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
The original word was homophobia, and it described a behavior in which men with latent desires to have intimate encounters with other men, would overcompensate by reacting violently against homosexuals.
Homophobia meant fear of being a homosexual, and it came to explain all opposition to homosexuality by suggesting that anyone who is against homosexuality is therefore a closet gay. It was an ironic slur.
It is pseudo science and pop psychology at best. It may, or may not, describe the psychology of some men, but it certainly does not describe the reasons that many people oppose, say, gay marriage.
Nevertheless, it has been co-opted by the left in order to dismiss anyone who is against the gay agenda as bigots.
Not true at all. The word homophobia originated almost simultaneously from two unrelated sources in 1969. George Weinberg used the word in a speech about heterosexual men who fear that others might think they are gay. Ref: Herek, Gregory (April 2004). Beyond Homophobia. Sexuality Research and Social Policy.
In that same year Time magazine published an article that described examples of negative attitudes toward homosexuality as "homophobia".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SilverBear

Sep 2, 2016
Michigan
✟166,106.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
I suffer from photophobia (light sensitivity) so it is important not to lump all phobias in the fear or hatred basket.

I am happy to wear the homophobia label as long as it refers to behavior, and not the person. Love the sinner, hate the sin.
Unfortunately is a state of being, not a behavior so you can't have it NOT refer to individuals.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think we should take the attitude that Jesus seemed to have with sinners. Understand that they are lost and living in or struggling with sin. Understand that they are just like any born again believer once was. Therefore, have compassion and a sadness of heart for their place. Asking God's forgiveness for they just don't understand. Their minds have not yet been opened to the truth and they have held to '666' in their understanding and beliefs.
"He can have compassion on those who are ignorant and going astray, since he himself is also subject to weakness." (Hebrews 5:2)

Jesus Himself prayed, "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they do." (in Luke 23:34)

Now, a phobia against a sinful person would make the person irrational and uncompassionate so he or she is not having compassion and praying for forgiveness for whoever is wrong.

I'm against Islam because it is heretical and demonic. I'm also against homosexuality because it is sinful. But I don't see any biblical principles that would make a person patently against immigration. Where are you getting that third one from?
I think the immigration phobia thing is being used to label people who want Donald Trump's wall and his policy to limit travel to the U.S. by people from certain countries which are more known for supporting terrorism. When ones support him in this, others accuse them of being phobic against immigrants.

And, possibly, there are Americans who are against people from other countries. I have seen e-mails calling for English to be the official American language. I don't think this is Christian, myself . . . especially for the reasons certain people may have. But I do see the point of screening people, and maybe being more thorough with ones from where there is more obvious support of terrorism. But worldly people can not do this right, but can tend to overdo it or underdo it :)

ALL SIN IS SIN AGAINST LOVE? How does that idea fit in I wonder?

So for instance, if we are too mired in sin, can there be any love?
Sin is because of "the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience" (in Ephesians 2:2). So, if anything is real sin, it is because of the working of Satan's evil spirit in a person; and I offer that anything of sin and Satan's spirit is anti-love.

For example, immoral lust can feel like love, but it is mainly love for the pleasure which someone wants. And it can be confused with love for the partner. And perversion lust can also be confused with love. And ones claiming to love the United States can have a self-righteous way of not accepting people who speak another language. And ones can be against Islam, but in a self-righteous way which is sin; and so they are not really loving ones they desire to protect from Muslims, since they are being self-righteous and therefore a bad example.

Webster: an exaggerated usually inexplicable and illogical fear of a particular object, class of objects, or situation.

Dictionary.com: a persistent, irrational fear of a specific object, activity, or situation that leads to a compelling desire to avoid it.
You can fear something which is wrong, but the way you are fearing it can be illogical and exaggerated. And a person's own fear can deeply degrade and ruin a person so much more than terrorists might ever hope to hurt someone. Also, our own selfish character can spoil us so much more than any enemies have the power to hurt us.

Reactions: SolomonVII
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Not necessarily, "pervert" can simply mean to "twist" or spin, or bend, the truth, or the original or right purpose or "intent" of a thing or truth... "Pervert" can simply mean deviating from the truth of...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Not necessarily, "pervert" can simply mean to "twist" or spin, or bend, the truth, or the original or right purpose or "intent" of a thing or truth... "Pervert" can simply mean deviating from the truth of...

God Bless!

I'm referring to a person-a person going away from the right purpose of something.

Upvote 0

Archie the Preacher

Apr 11, 2003
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I'm referring to a person-a person going away from the right purpose of something.
The Oxford dictionary defines the 'noun' form of the word as
Oxford Dictionary said:
a person whose sexual behavior is regarded as abnormal and unacceptable.
I think the word you seek is 'pederasty' or 'pederast'. Look them up and see.

Upvote 0