May 13, 2006
✟17,291.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am interested to know how many people believe which way. Most believe that God = 3 persons. But then, people differ on what those 3 persons are.

So which way do you believe (choose from the statements below)? (I don't know yet, I am still studying...)

3 persons like a committee (like man and wife are one?)

3 persons like 3 roles of a God (Jacob is husband of Leah, Son of Isaak, Father of Juda)

3 persons like parts of one God (like my hand, my mouth, my brain…)

3 persons like - some other idea?

BrendanMark

Apr 4, 2007
Australia
✟16,317.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Off the top of my head, Christ the Logos is the Incarnation of God in/as Man through the Holy Spirit. The formal, traditional definitions are better, of course. The person of the Son is not the Father, although both are God by nature.

Hypostasis is the great shibboleth and controversial term of Christology. First of all, it has the same meaning as prosopon, [which means] “mask”, [“role”], “person”) and denotes the three “Persons” in God; it thus is the reality that is described and expressed as a “manner of existing” or “mode of origin”. In its root meaning, and even in the created realm, “hypostasis” is an essence’s (ousia’s) “being-for-itself”: what distinguishes a concrete being from others of the same genus. So it answers to the question “Who?”, in a broad sense; it is the indication and affirmation of a subject, an “I”. In a broad sense, I say, for the hypostasis is the ontological subject of the ascription of an essence, not the consciousness of such a subject; animals, plants, even stones each have their hypostasis . . .
von Balthasar, Hans Urs – Cosmic Liturgy – The Universe According to Maximus the Confessor [1946, Ignatius Press, trans. Daley, Brian E. 2003, pp 222-223]

Upvote 0

Blackhawk

Monkey Boy
Feb 5, 2002
Ft. Worth, tx
Visit site
✟22,925.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am interested to know how many people believe which way. Most believe that God = 3 persons. But then, people differ on what those 3 persons are.

So which way do you believe (choose from the statements below)? (I don't know yet, I am still studying...)

probably the best listed since the bride of Christ is the church. However it does not wwork because my wife and I are two different people. The Trinity is 3 persons with 1 substance or essence.

3 persons like 3 roles of a God (Jacob is husband of Leah, Son of Isaak, Father of Juda) ?)

No this is modalism.

no there is not one underlying substance that each person has a part of. That is heresy.

REad Gregory of Nazianzus' Theological Orations. He does a good job of descrbiing the Trinity. But the main thing I want to say is that analogies like you have used above are good but faulty overall. They always lead one into heresy if one does not understand that God is beyond the analogies. One can use them but not depend on them to give a complete picture of the Trinity. Alhthough we can know somethings about it, the Trinity is ultimately beyond our comprehension.

Upvote 0

Simonline

The Inquisitor
Aug 8, 2002
North West England
Visit site
✟13,927.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

3 persons like 3 roles of a God (Jacob is husband of Leah, Son of Isaak, Father of Juda)

The Bible teaches that whilst there is only one God (Deut.6:4; Isa.43:10-13) the Father is God, the Son is God and the Holy Spirit is God. From this we deduce that far from being simply mono-personal, like His human creatures, God is actually Tri-Personal in Nature simultaneously existing [for all Eternity] as Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Therefore, since the one God is both Eternal and Immutable it cannot be true that He exists in any modalistic way (i.e. one Person temporally assuming three different identities).

Simonline.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
C

catwoman2

Best description of the Trinity and how I believe:

the Athanasius Creed:
Whosoever will be saved,
before all things it is is necessary that he hold the Catholic Faith.
Which Faith except everyone do keep whole and undefiled,
without doubt he shall perish everlastingly.
And the Catholic Faith is this: That we worship one God in Trinity, and Trinity
in Unity,
neither confounding the Persons, nor dividing the Substance.
For there is one Person of the Father, another of the Son,
and another of the Holy Ghost.
But the Godhead of the Father, of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, is all one,
the Glory equal, the Majesty co-eternal.
Such as the Father is, such is the Son,
and such is the Holy Ghost.
The Father uncreate, the Son uncreate,
and the Holy Ghost uncreate.
The Father incomprehensible, the Son incomprehensible,
and the Holy Ghost incomprehensible.
The Father eternal, the Son eternal,
and the Holy Ghost eternal.
And yet they are not three eternals,
but one eternal.
As also there are not three incomprehensibles, nor three uncreated,
but one uncreated, and one incomprehensible.
So likewise the Father is Almighty, the Son Almighty,
and the Holy Ghost Almighty.
And yet they are not three Almighties,
but one Almighty.
So the Father is God, the Son is God,
and the Holy Ghost is God.
And yet they are not three Gods,
but one God.
So likewise the Father is Lord, the Son Lord,
and the Holy Ghost Lord.
And yet not three Lords,
but one Lord.
For like as we are compelled by the Christian verity to acknowledge ever y
Person by Himself to be both God and Lord,
so we are forbidden by the Catholic Religion, to say, there be three Gods,
or three Lords.
The Father is made of none,
neither created, nor begotten.
The Son is of the Father alone,
not made, nor created, but begotten.
The Holy Ghost is of the Father [and of the Son],
neither made, nor created, nor begotten, but proceeding.
So there is one Father, not three Fathers; one Son, not three Sons;
one Holy Ghost, not three Holy Ghosts.
And in this Trinity none is afore, or after other; none is greater, or l ess
than another;
but the whole three Persons are co-eternal together and co-equal.
So that in all things, as is aforesaid,
the Unity in Trinity and the Trinity in Unity is to be worshipped.
He therefore that will be saved
must thus think of the Trinity.

Furthermore, it is necessary to everlasting salvation
that he also believe rightly the Incarnation of our Lord Jesus Christ .
For the right Faith is, that we believe and confess,
that our Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God, is God and Man.
God, of the substance of the Father, begotten before the worlds;
and Man, of the Substance of His Mother, born in the world;
Perfect God and perfect Man,
of a reasonable soul in human flesh subsisting;
Equal to the Father, as touching His Godhead;
and inferior to the Father, as touching His Manhood.
Who, although He be God and Man,
yet He is not two, but one Christ;
One, not by conversion of the Godhead into flesh,
but by taking of the Manhood into God;
One altogether; not by confusion of Substance,
but by unity of Person.
For as the reasonable soul and flesh is one man,
so God and Man is one Christ.
Who suffered for our salvation, descended into hell,
rose again the third day from the dead.
He ascended into heaven, He sitteth on the right hand of the Father, God
Almighty,
from whence He shall come to judge the quick and the dead.
At whose coming all men shall rise with their bodies
and shall give account for their own works.
And they that have done good shall go into life everlasting;
and they that have done evil into everlasting fire.
This is the Catholic Faith, which except a man believe faithfully,
he cannot be saved.
Amen.

http://www.holybible.com/resources/athanasius_creed.htm

Upvote 0
M

Monergism

Yes, it is.

It could be interpreted various ways, whereas the definition I offered doesn't allow such vagueness.

According to a modern definition. But then again, we aren't speaking of psychology or the illnesses. We are speaking of three persons who make up one God, each fully God, yet not three gods. Have you observed the Cappadocian Fathers? If you want vagueness, then the point will be made when these men use the Greek word hupostasis (substance) and define it as an entirely different meaning far from its etymology. I'll tell you, that had me confused when they spoke of God having three substances and one substance simultaneously. Fortunately, I was given a better understanding, and I don't think that way about the ousia and hypostases anymore.

Upvote 0
M

Monergism

The Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, and many Anglicans have issues with the filioque clause in that creed, so we do not accept it as authoritative.

That's an interesting statement. You are aware that Christians, whether Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, Anglican, &c. have issues with doctrine and theology, yes? If you are, then how can you accept anything as authoritative, since Christians of different denominations have issues with various beliefs?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
According to a modern definition.

Modern?! The Nicene-Constantinopolitan Creed is morning? :scratch:

But then again, we aren't speaking of psychology or the illnesses.

You're right...we're talking about something that can be a deciding factor in our salvation.

We are speaking of three persons who make up one God, each fully God, yet not three gods. Have you observed the Cappadocian Fathers?

Actually, yes I have! :)

If you want vagueness, then the point will be made when these men use the Greek word hupostasis (substance) and define it as an entirely different meaning far from its etymology. I'll tell you, that had me confused when they spoke of God having three substances and one substance simultaneously.

Because you didn't understand their notion of hierarchy, which is a classic part of historic Christianity.

That's an interesting statement. You are aware that Christians, whether Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, Anglican, &c. have issues with doctrine and theology, yes? If you are, then how can you accept anything as authoritative, since Christians of different denominations have issues with various beliefs?

Simple: Seven Ecumenical Councils.

Upvote 0

childofGod31

May 13, 2006
✟17,291.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If Father, Son and Spirit always were,

What does it mean: "firstborn" over all creation, the image of the invisible God.

HEB 1:6 And again, when God brings his firstborn into the world, he says, "Let all God's angels worship him."

Does this not imply that the Son was "born" at some point?

Could "born" be referring to the Word becoming human?
Although it would be out of sequence because Jesus was born after creation, not before.

Although I don't understand the term "firstborn" being used in these following verses. What does "firstborn from the dead" mean?

ROM 8:29 For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers.

REV 1:5 and from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, the firstborn from the dead, and the ruler of the kings of the earth.

COL 1:18 And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead,

Upvote 0

Simonline

The Inquisitor
Aug 8, 2002
North West England
Visit site
✟13,927.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Tri-Personal?

A single individual (a person) can be tri-personal too: its called multiple personality disorder (or at least it used to be called this).

That's a very vague term to use.

Yes, Tri-Personal. In the case of finite mono-personal creatures, multiple personalities are a mental defect or disorder but not so in the case of the Infinite Creator who has revealed Himself to us as ONE ENTITY who is Eternal, Immutable and Tri-Personal in Nature [Father, Son and Holy Spirit]. This is the God of Judeo-Christianity who has revealed Himself through the Judeo-Christian Scriptures.

Simonline.

Upvote 0

Simonline

The Inquisitor
Aug 8, 2002
North West England
Visit site
✟13,927.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
As vague as uni-personal, a term that Oneness theologians use?

They are not vague at all. They are actually very precise. It's just that, in relation to the God of the Bible, only one of those two terms is actually true.

Simonline.

Upvote 0

Simonline

The Inquisitor
Aug 8, 2002
North West England
Visit site
✟13,927.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Yes, it is.

It could be interpreted various ways, whereas the definition I offered doesn't allow such vagueness.

Not true. Tri-Personal can only mean a single entity that is also 3 persons or personalities (Tri - three) just as uni-personal (uni - one) can only mean a single entity that is only 1 person or personality. What's vague about that?

Simonline.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.