Loundry

Eudaimonist
Dec 3, 2003
✟8,196.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Libertarian
My own denomination, while taking the position that "homosexual practice is incompatible with Christian teaching,"

"An unmarried man is concerned about the Lord's affairs—how he can please the Lord. But a married man is concerned about the affairs of this world—how he can please his wife— and his interests are divided. An unmarried woman or virgin is concerned about the Lord's affairs: Her aim is to be devoted to the Lord in both body and spirit. But a married woman is concerned about the affairs of this world—how she can please her husband." 1 Co 7:32-35

Does your denomination take the position that married people make less faithful Christians? Scripture is clear on this point.

Upvote 0

""

Jul 8, 2005
✟27,472.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
For those who are not able to register and see the rest of the article, here is a portion speaking in support:
Exodus' president, Alan Chambers, reached by phone at the meeting in Irvine, said he disagreed with its critics, adding that its methods have helped many people, including him.

"Exodus is here for people who want an alternative to homosexuality," Chambers said. "There are thousands of people like me who have overcome this. I think there's room for more than one opinion on this subject, and giving people options isn't dangerous."

I am not offering this as a show of my feelings about the article. I am trying to show fairness, by giving both sides of the article for people to read.

Upvote 0

""

Jul 8, 2005
✟27,472.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
"An unmarried man is concerned about the Lord's affairs—how he can please the Lord. But a married man is concerned about the affairs of this world—how he can please his wife— and his interests are divided. An unmarried woman or virgin is concerned about the Lord's affairs: Her aim is to be devoted to the Lord in both body and spirit. But a married woman is concerned about the affairs of this world—how she can please her husband." 1 Co 7:32-35

Does your denomination take the position that married people make less faithful Christians? Scripture is clear on this point.

This is a misrepresentation of scripture. Scripture is not clear on your point that married people make less faithful Christians. What it is clear is that those who remain unmarried/uncoupled/unfettered with relationship woes, are not distracted by the fleshly concerns of managing a relationship, and therefore are less likely to be kept from doing the Lord's work. Those who are married have the added burden of battling fleshly distractions. It doesn't make them less His. It just means they have to work a little harder. :)

Upvote 0

Mling

Knight of the Woeful Countenance (in training)
Jun 19, 2006
Here and there.
✟9,635.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
This is a misrepresentation of scripture. Scripture is not clear on your point that married people make less faithful Christians. What it is clear is that those who remain unmarried/uncoupled/unfettered with relationship woes, are not distracted by the fleshly concerns of managing a relationship, and therefore are less likely to be kept from doing the Lord's work. Those who are married have the added burden of battling fleshly distractions. It doesn't make them less His. It just means they have to work a little harder. :)

And yet, when a person supporting homosexuals points out that the Bible is not as clear on the issue as one verse, taken out of context, might make it seem, this is called "twisting scripture" or trying to justify sin.

(I don't know if you've said this or not...I haven't been keeping up with the thread, so this isn't directed at you. Unless you have said it.)

Upvote 0

kit

Aug 12, 2005
Iowa
✟2,330.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
You will know them by their fruit. The fact is that the so called 'ex-gay' movement is rotten bitter fruit. At it's heart it is a lie.

Look at how many "ex-gay" leaders eventually accept their homosexuality. The founders of Exodus and Homosexuals Anonymous each became ex-ex-gay. Focus on the Family's poster boy got caught in a gay bar. American Family Association poster boy went ex-ex-gay.

I used to go to HA meetings. They were a farce. Fortunately I was the only homosexual who showed up.

look at the differences between AA and the "ex-gay" groups. Alcohol is the source of breakdown in Alcoholics lives. Homosexuality is not a problem in gay peoples' lives. AA believes that honesty is an integral part of recovery. "Ex-gay" groups demand unsubstantiated hypotheses to be believed in order to "overcome" homosexuality. These groups even deny homosexuality. It is opposed to objective truth.

It is notable how anti-scientific the "ex-gay" agenda is. Dr. Nicolosi a leading proponent of this quackery can't even produce a success rate of 2%. The pinacle of their hopes are that one will be abstinent or breed.

Virtually all of us who are Gay asked God to make us heterosexual. We begged and prayed and fasted. The Christian God didn't oblige. Why? Is God impotent. Doesn't God care? Does God disagree with the "Christians"? Seems like God has some answering to do.

Upvote 0

Rev Wayne

Simplicity + Sincerity = Serenity
Sep 16, 2003
SC
Visit site
✟13,530.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

This question has nothing to do with anything I posted.

Upvote 0

Loundry

Eudaimonist
Dec 3, 2003
✟8,196.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Libertarian
This is a misrepresentation of scripture.

"Misrepresentation of scripture" == "You're not SPINNING scripture in the politically-correct way"

Scripture is not clear on your point that married people make less faithful Christians.

You're totally wrong.

Take two Christians. One is married, the other is not. The married Christian has, on average, 18 waking hours. He has to cut God out of the picture sometimes to please his wife. The unmarried Christian can devote all 18 hours to serving your god. Which one will be more devoted? Are you saying you can spend less time serving your god and be just as devoted to your god as someone who spends every waking hour serving your god?

It doesn't make them less His. It just means they have to work a little harder. :)

This isn't an issue of being "less his" (proper capitalization, thank you). This is an issue of which is more faithful. There are only 24 hours in the day. You can't make more hours in the day by "working harder". How do you "work harder" to serve your god, anyway? Are you saying that you're saved by works? (Jesus would agree with you, Paul wouldn't.)

The unmarried man has greater faith since he's getting all of his needs met from your god while the married man has to resort to getting his needs met from an earthly being. Are you going to argue that your god can't do the same job that another human can do?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Loundry

Eudaimonist
Dec 3, 2003
✟8,196.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Libertarian

This question has nothing to do with anything I posted.

I totally disagree.

If you're going to talk about what scripture is "clear" about, then let's start examining if you really are devoted to following scripture. My belief is that you adhere to scripture strongly when it bashes gays and then start "interpreting" it once it would negatively affect your lifestyle. Is this true?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MachZer0

Caught Between Barack and a Hard Place
Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No, it's not. Someone just stated that it was gay-bashing Christians are the one's using personal insults and you said only because homosexuals make up facts, so you indeed said that gay-bashing Christians are the one's using personal insults
What was actually said was

Are complaints to admins all that gay-bashing Christians have to offer in response to reasonable questions
Demonstrating that your posts (both of them) are complete misrepesentations of reality

Upvote 0
M

MrPirate

I totally disagree.

If you're going to talk about what scripture is "clear" about, then let's start examining if you really are devoted to following scripture. My belief is that you adhere to scripture strongly when it bashes gays and then start "interpreting" it once it would negatively affect your lifestyle. Is this true?
That is pretty standard. Those talking most loudly about “correctly” interpreting scripture usually are the people ignoring anything they happen to dislike or find inconvenient and the ones fastest to use scripture to attack and condemn people they don’t like.

Upvote 0

silentreader

Senior Veteran
Feb 5, 2007
✟18,567.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That is pretty standard. Those talking most loudly about “correctly” interpreting scripture usually are the people ignoring anything they happen to dislike or find inconvenient and the ones fastest to use scripture to attack and condemn people they don’t like.

quite ironic that you don't ever post scriptural exegesis and when confronted with some, you start insulting the poster.

Upvote 0

Loundry

Eudaimonist
Dec 3, 2003
✟8,196.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Libertarian
quite ironic that you don't ever post scriptural exegesis and when confronted with some, you start insulting the poster.
What is this "scriptural exegesis" nonsense? If you have scripture to support your view, post it! Otherwise, admit that that your views come from directly from Satan.

If you do not hate your family, then you are not Jesus' disciple. Jesus said so.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.